Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Throwing knives!

Picked up a little 2 set of throwing knives with a belt holster from a local gun shop for $12 a couple days ago. Figured throwing knives would be a cool little parlor trick to learn.

Anyone know how to throw knives? Because despite my video I'm not really very consistant with my throws like I'd like to be and advice would be swell :-D

Comments

• Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Oh boy - I love knives!!! Well... It's hard to give advice virtually. You seem to have the basics on so just keep throwing and you'll get more consistency. How do you hold the knife? How do you throw? Like in baseball? Flick wrist? Which part of these knives you have is the heavier one?
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    LOL I tried learning this several years back, and never really could get a rhythm down for it. Now, I DID win a few competitions in axe throwing though lol....different concept however.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I tried throwing knives when I was younger...never really could get it down. I'm much better with rifles and pistols.
  • Options
    GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    Renaissance_Man:
    Oh boy - I love knives!!! Well... It's hard to give advice virtually. You seem to have the basics on so just keep throwing and you'll get more consistency. How do you hold the knife? How do you throw? Like in baseball? Flick wrist? Which part of these knives you have is the heavier one?
    I hold the tip of the blade, index and middle finger on the back and thumb on the top, I do the "Pretend your chopping wood over a fence" throw, where you try to stay completely vertically and reach out as far as you can, and as for which end is heavier it's ahrd to say. I read something about finding the balast? which is the even weight point and it was right in the middle of the knife so I guess these are pretty balanced knives?
  • Options
    wwhwang:
    I tried throwing knives when I was younger...never really could get it down. I'm much better with rifles and pistols.
    That's my problem, knives are much cheaper than guns! LOL
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Ur knife reminded me of this guy's knives - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhEzY_QzyhA I pretty much learnt from that video LOL... He's pretty good and has a few other videos to teach. It's good advice...
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I know nothing on throwing knives besides they are ba!!!!!!!! Good luck on mastering it bro!
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Haven't ever gotten into throwing knives, but I would like to. I have a pretty extensive collection of swords and knives though. Love them.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I don't throw knives, but the katana gives me a few feet of reach....
  • Options
    Renaissance_Man:
    Ur knife reminded me of this guy's knives - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhEzY_QzyhA I pretty much learnt from that video LOL... He's pretty good and has a few other videos to teach. It's good advice...
    It's actually really funny that you post that video, because when I decided to learn to throw knives that was the first video I watched, lol! I basically learned everything from his videos too, even though he's really bad at explaining things, lol.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    When I was learning I had a guy tell me to move closer and farther until I found a distance where the rotation would work. After that you are supposed to move back to another rotation worth of distance and keep doing that till you are comfortable with multiple distances. Once that is mastered you can try intermediate distances by changing your throw.

I never put much time into it but it sure was fun.
  • Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    Ryan, for some reason I feel this has bad idea written all over it.

Maybe its because I ALWAYS seem to get cut when I play with knives
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    sirfoster83:

Whats the worst that could happen?
  • Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    I was playing with a butterfly knife when I was younger and learned what my finger bones look like
  • Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    not knives but I used to be able to pick a fly off a apple with a chinese star.
  • Options
    Goldy:
    sirfoster83:

Whats the worst that could happen?
    Believe it or not, I've yet to cut myself! However I have broken quite a few fence boards, and stuck into the door of my shed on accident >.>

Btw - I'm up to about a consistant 50% success rate with throwing! My highest streak so far is 7 in a row.