Home Cigar 101
Options

Anniversary

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
This probably should have been posted under the thread "What do you cigar lovin' fools look like?" but, since it's an important landmark in my life, I sorta wanted it to stand apart.

My child bride and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary last week. Our two sons hosted a very nice party for us and invited a lot of friends and close family. Here are a few photos:

Pretty self explanatory, this is the front of the invitation

Taken in our son Mike's back yard

Taken on a part of my patio. Getting ready to enjoy a big, shaggy-footed Gurkha Salomon to celebrate our anniversary

A better shot of the Gurkha along with a snifter of Booker's. Aahh! Life is good.

Okay, I've bored you enough. Thanks for your patience.

Good health and long ashes to all the BOTL's out there.

Marty

Comments

• Options
    OOoops!! I even got it in the wrong place. Shoulda been under General Discussion. Sorry. My bad.

Marty

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Congrats! 50 years is incredible.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats and nice pics
  • Options
    Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations.
  • Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    congrats!! im working on 5 so 50 seems like an eternity
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    WoW! Congrats to you and your bride!!!
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Congrats man and I like your pick of smoke Gurkha Shaggy is one of my favs, it's rare in this day and age for people to be wed that long. My 2nd cousin's grandparents (no clue what they are to me) made it to their 50th about 15?-ish years ago. I hope everything is going swell for you and your beloved.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats. 50 years, that amazing. As I said before, cops are serial marriers, I've had three wives in that time!

By the way, how old are you? Is there hope I'm not the oldest one here? I"ll be 64 Christmas Eve this year.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    JL - honest and most heartfelt congratulations on such an incredible milestone! I'm working on 7 years, and can only imagine how that feels to make it to 50.
  • Options
    YankeeMan:
    By the way, how old are you? Is there hope I'm not the oldest one here? I"ll be 64 Christmas Eve this year.

Well, you're definitely not the oldest one here. I'll be 74 in November. But between my ears I'm only 39. I think if my grey matter ever catches up with my chronological age it'll be time to cash my chips in.

Marty

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    and how long have you been smoking cigars?
  • Options
    I've only been smoking cigars for the last couple years. I gave up cigarettes cold turkey in 1994 after having heart surgery. That's what made it so easy to go the cold turkey route. I evidently wasn't scared enough prior to the surgery.

And why, you ask, am I smoking cigars after having heart surgery? Well, I don't inhalke 'em and that improves my odds immensely.

Marty

• Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Congrats on 50
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    YankeeMan:

Well, you're definitely not the oldest one here. I'll be 74 in November. But between my ears I'm only 39. I think if my grey matter ever catches up with my chronological age it'll be time to cash my chips in.

Marty

Amen! There is someone older! I've said this before, growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional. Always stay 39, enjoy!
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Marty

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    I've only been smoking cigars for the last couple years. I gave up cigarettes cold turkey in 1994 after having heart surgery. That's what made it so easy to go the cold turkey route. I evidently wasn't scared enough prior to the surgery.

And why, you ask, am I smoking cigars after having heart surgery? Well, I don't inhalke 'em and that improves my odds immensely.

Marty

there is heart surgeons that shows up at my local B&M every now and then. he claims that the relaxation one gets from a cigar far outweighs any negative aspects.
  • Options
    Thanks for that. It occurs to me that probably a goodly number of physicians of all types enjoy an occasional cigar, although I doubt most of 'em would volunteer that info to a patient. As with everything, moderation is the key, I think.

I've mentioned on a previous thread somewhere along the way that I came across a study printed in the Oxford Journal of Medicine that shows the increased risk of heart disease to male cigar smokers based on how many cigars they smoke per day compared to men who have never smoked.

The categories of smokers were grouped like: 1 to 2 cigars/day, 3 to 4 cigars/day, etc. on upward. Since I fall into the lowest category (actually I average only about 1 every other day) it said that male smokers in that group had a 1.2% greater risk of heart disease than men who never smoked. And, to me, 1.2% is very minimal and certainly an acceptable risk IMO. I don't remember whether the report specified inhaling or non-inhaling but, to my way of thinking, if the smoke doesn't make it to your lungs, what can it hurt?

And, since most of the nicotine goes away during the curing process, it seems to me that inhaling is a waste of time - assuming one inhales in order to get the nicotine.

Marty

• Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Big grats on the anniversary if only we all had the commitment you and your wife share the world would be a better place.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on your 50th! My wife and I will be celebrating our 10th this December.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    congragulations. my wife and i celebrated our 3rd yesterday.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    congratulations on your milestone that is truly amazing to hear about these days. i am very happy for you and wish you all the best
  • Options
    MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Marty

That's incredible! Congrats to you and your bride.

My wife and I will have 24 years next groundhog day.

An interesting anniversary, for me at least; next November 3rd. I will have been married for half my life! If my math is correct and I don't fuss too much about leap years, that is :)

• Options
    Well, I'll extend Happy Anniversary wishes in advance, Mr. Moke. What a coincidence - November 3 is my birthday.

Happy anniversary and many more to come. A good woman makes it all worthwhile.

Marty

• Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    Congrats Marty!!

The wife and I will be having the big 2 year on Oct. 10th.

I love seeing 50 year anniversarys or anything over 5 these days. Gives me hope!
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Great achievement, Congrats to both of you and smoke 'em if you got 'em