Home Non Cigar Related
Options

R.A.Salvatore

Any Salvatore fans here? I have read all of his Drizzt books and think he is a phenominal fantasy/action writer.

Comments

• Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I've read one or two of his books. He's a great writer, but I kinda get tired of all the fantasy nerds that copy his work for fan fiction and roleplaying games. Hell, I even knew one girl that failed Spanish in high school, so she started learning Drow.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I read a lot of his stuff when I was a teenager, but as I've gotten older have grown to dislike the genre. I liked the stories then, but looking back now I think they and his writing were rather weak. I haven't read anything he's written in the last 15 years though. I've thought about trying out some of his newer stuff, but I don't know if I will. So I guess I'd say I'm familiar with him, but not a fan.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I have read a lot of his earlier stuff. Kind of stopped reading when I stopped playing pen and papers, which was around when 3rd ed. D&D happened.
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    I really enjoy his writing and especially his character development. To be frank though, I haven't read any of his newer stuff. I saw at the library Drizzt is back in a new trilogy; however I don't remember the title.
  • Options
    The two newest trilogys are The Hunter's Blades (awesome) and Transitions (brace yourself).
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Ive read the 1st three. And although Im a fan of the Genre, I find his writing a bit sophmoric. His plots are very straightforward and simple. Given that I do get lost in his books. Im pretty much done with him though..... Totally enjoyed Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale VG though.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    Totally enjoyed Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale VG though.
    HELLS yes! Baldur's Gate was a phenomenal set of games!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Hays:
    Fourtotheflush:
    Hell, I still play at a NWN PW, and still own both Baldur's I and II
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Smoke=Fire:
    Hays:
    Fourtotheflush:
    Hell, I still play at a NWN PW, and still own both Baldur's I and II
    Dude, me and my girlfriend just beat Baldur's Gate I & II back to back and are going back through Baldur's Gate I on Extreme mode!! It's so much more fun with 2 people!!
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    I read most of the Drizzt books, and they had alot to do with getting me into the genre. I found myself opposed to coming back to them after I got exposed to some other authors and writing styles, though. They're an enjoyable read for sure, but I found that I preferred my high fantasy gritty, complicated and dark (George R. R. Martin, Robert Jordan, Erik Stevenson) and my light fantasy very light (Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, etc). Salvatore was a good mix though, with light moments and some dark moments, but overall things were straightforward.

I think some of my interrest also waned when I started doing pen and paper (2nd Edition) and a very good friend of mine was just dark elf and Salvatore crazy.
  • Options
    jmarkhjmarkh Posts: 4
    Salvatore is probably the main author responsible for getting me into reading the fantasy genre. Between Drizzt and the Baldur's Gate games, I was hooked (found them both around the same time). I kept up with Drizzt through the Hunter's Blades trilogy but haven't picked up the newest one yet.

Not to derail, but as a side comment, if anyone is interested in a new fantasy author, look up Brent Weeks and his Night Angel trilogy. The covers are a bit... enh, but the writing is top notch. He is kind of a blend of gritty and a little light like Salvatore, but leans more towards the grit with intricate plot lines.
  • Options
    I guess I was very late on the scene to discover his books. I played EQ for awhile back in college and couldn't figure out the obsession people had with dark elves. Then several years later I read the Icewind Dale trilogy and it all then became apparent. I think the strongest points about his books were the character development, and the message.
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Cigar Sherlock:
    I guess I was very late on the scene to discover his books. I played EQ for awhile back in college and couldn't figure out the obsession people had with dark elves. Then several years later I read the Icewind Dale trilogy and it all then became apparent. I think the strongest points about his books were the character development, and the message.

Fun Fact (that you probably already new): Salvatore himself was a big fan of EQ and had multiple characters (Povar server) he would play.