Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar Construction

FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
So a cigar is made up of 1 wrapper, typically 1 binder, and filler.
How many leaves are in that filler? Does anyone know?
I want to know because ive seen in a couple places that it states the the Camacho PE has 1 leaf of PE tobacco rolled into it.

Comments

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I don't know for sure, but based on the videos I've seen of factories rolling their cigars it looks like they grab 2 or 3 decent sized leaves and kind of bunch them up. But I guess it also depends on the vitola. Bigger gauges probably use more leaves than smaller ones.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    http://tobacconistuniversity.org/tobacco-college/apm-rolling2.asp

The first section about bunching notes about 3-5 leaves are used as filler. Of course that's just an average. The LP No. 9 uses 7 different leaves for filler.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    http://tobacconistuniversity.org/tobacco-college/apm-rolling2.asp

The first section about bunching notes about 3-5 leaves are used as filler. Of course that's just an average. The LP No. 9 uses 7 different leaves for filler.
    it also depends on how the leaves they select are cut.
  • Options
    jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    I believe that the Camacho PE filler is about 30-35% Cuban leaf. It is a damn fine cigar.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    jpclotfelter:
    I believe that the Camacho PE filler is about 30-35% Cuban leaf. It is a damn fine cigar.
    I've also heard that it contains a single PE Cuban leaf, so if the bunch had three leaves, then the percentage is accurate. It also makes sense because the draw on the PE is pretty loose and it's a pretty quick smoke.
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    A lot of factors. 3 to 5 is the rule but once i did an experiment to see how many different countries of tobacco I could cram in one cigar. It ended up being 12 different tobacco varieties (including the leaf used for the wrapper and binder) from a total of 9 countries. The cigar ended up being a 6 x 64 just to make it all fit LOL
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    A lot of factors. 3 to 5 is the rule but once i did an experiment to see how many different countries of tobacco I could cram in one cigar. It ended up being 12 different tobacco varieties (including the leaf used for the wrapper and binder) from a total of 9 countries. The cigar ended up being a 6 x 64 just to make it all fit LOL
    so...how did it taste??

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Krieg:
    Alex Svenson:
    so...how did it taste??
    Would like to know this as well...........
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    double post ftw
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    haha, these are the perks of the job I guess. making a 12 leaf cigar just for the hell of it. That must have looked like a cannon!
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Can I get one of those on the DD? lol
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think, too, that it would depend on the blend being made. I can visualize one leaf of this kind of tobacco and a leaf of that king, etc. until the desired blend was accomplished.

Kuzi can probably straighten us out on this point.

Marty

• Options
    not only is it about flavor of one leaf vs flavor of another, it is also about combustion. Ligero leaves are thicker and therefor burn slower than lower a priming leaf would. so while blending that has to be taken into account as well. this thickness also comes into play when bunching the cigar. if you dont bunch it correctly it wont burn well.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See? I knew Kuzi could inform us well. The guy's a walking encyclopedia.

Thanks, Kuzi.

Marty

• Options
    jlmarta:
    See? I knew Kuzi could inform us well. The guy's a walking encyclopedia.

Thanks, Kuzi.

Marty

But hes only helpful before or after Wopner.

• Options
    drive slow in the driveway.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    drive slow in the driveway.

I keed I keed

That took a while, Ive been waiting for that one....