Home General Discussion
Options

does anybody kno anything about these....

ok so i got some cigars today and the guy said they were great cigars and like idk im new to this whole thing so idk wat im doing like i kno wat im looking for like size and flavor and body. so here is the list of cigars i bought today: cohiba xv . nat. cicco . indpendencia . adwani . monte cruz la romana

Comments

• Options
    Big DanBig Dan Posts: 69
    also has anybody ever heard that to raise the humidity in ur humidor u soak it in distilled water with a towel? idk about that one
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    To season a humidor you can run a lightly damp cloth over the wood surfaces in your humidor, but this is mainly to get the wood primed for storing cigars, you don't want to soak it by any means though that would almost surely warp the wood.

I've heard of one of those cigars, that would be the Cohiba. I can't say if it's good or not, but I would recommend holding off on smoking that one until you get the method down pretty good and are accustomed to smoking a cigar, as a Cohiba would likely be a bit on the strong side.
  • Options
    haha well the cohib was the only one i could find online and the guy said tht it was definiatly a mild cigar haha but ya i looked it up and it says full bodied i was like wtf i payed 7 bucks for it idk. he also showed me tht one of the cigars had a 95 rating he had sum poster. idk if there r knock offs or wat i hope these r good i bough some for 3 bucks which was good
  • Options
    I don't know about that, I'd be careful trusting what that guy says.... it almost sounds like he doesn't really know what he's talking about. For $3, it's worth a shot to see if you like it...and if you do like it, then you've found yourself a good, reasonably priced cigar...and at worst, you wasted $3... not too bad a trade off if you ask me.
  • Options
    well he knew the brands and like he knew more than the other shops ive been too. i think he was hustling me tho cuz he knew i didnt kno much which would make sense. however he did give me like 50 percent off on one of the cigars and on the others he gave me a buck or two off and a nice free cutter i ended up with like five new cigars and a cutter for 28 bucks
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nothing wrong with discounts. Im familiar with the cohiba only myself.
    I cant tell you to not to trust your tobaccanist but youd think that a few people on this forum would know a cigar rated 95 no matter what it was. we would of at least HEARD of it.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Big Bad Dan -

I know you said you're low on inventory and cash right now, but if you're willing to spend $28 on five cigars, you should really check out the deals on ccom. There are several deals that will come in your price range, and they'll be more well-known brands. Like jozer, I don't know anything about those cigars except the XV, and I haven't smoked that one either. Let me dig up some recommendations for you that will keep you below $5/stick, even after the shipping costs. I'll get back to you on the thread.
  • Options
    has anybody tried the flor de oliva or the CuAvana or any of the Oliva those where the ones that interested me the most
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Big Bad Dan -

I had a Flor de Oliva just recently. It's very good, but note that the end cap on the Flor de Oliva is dipped in something that imparts a sweet flavor to the stick. The Flor de Oliva Maduro is not dipped in anything. I'd say try them both. I think you'll like them. I haven't had the CuAvana.

If you're looking for milder smokes to get started, I can shorten the above list to:

5 Vegas Gold (this one is incredible)
    Sol Cubano Connecticut (I haven't had this, but I like the line)
    cigar.com Purple Label and Blue Label (don't write off these house blends. They're a high-quality mixed-filler cigar!)

Here are some more great cigars from that list that are more medium-bodied:
    cigar.com Cameroon Label (Capt's favorite stick!)
    5 Vegas Classic (lots of fans out there)
    Oliva Serie O and G (these are huge bargains)
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    Big Bad Dan -

I had a Flor de Oliva just recently. It's very good, but note that the end cap on the Flor de Oliva is dipped in something that imparts a sweet flavor to the stick. The Flor de Oliva Maduro is not dipped in anything. I'd say try them both. I think you'll like them. I haven't had the CuAvana.

If you're looking for milder smokes to get started, I can shorten the above list to:

5 Vegas Gold (this one is incredible)
    Sol Cubano Connecticut (I haven't had this, but I like the line)
    cigar.com Purple Label and Blue Label (don't write off these house blends. They're a high-quality mixed-filler cigar!)

Here are some more great cigars from that list that are more medium-bodied:
    cigar.com Cameroon Label (Capt's favorite stick!)
    5 Vegas Classic (lots of fans out there)
    Oliva Serie O and G (these are huge bargains)
    Those are some good smokes, well at least from the few that I've tried and others praise them a lot. One thing that I learned when I first started smoking cigars is that my local shop has a guy that acts like he knows a lot about cigars but in reality he doesn't. I must have spent well over 200 dollars in smokes that really didn't hit it off with me. I don't know, maybe our tastes are way off but from what he told me the cigar tasted like was no where near what I tasted. Though I do know that most of my knowledge came from web forums and guys like we have on these boards. But I do find it hard to swallow that you could confuse a mild/medium smoke with a full bodied smoke...
  • Options
    ya idk how he messed those up however he knew the sizes and he was smoking a cigar with sum friends when i walked in he told me tht full bodied one was a great cigar and i should buy it but he also gave me the option to have the one tht was a little more on the mild side but i was looking for a medium bodied cigar. anyways good news the la romana is a montecristo , thts all ive figured out so far
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    But I do find it hard to swallow that you could confuse a mild/medium smoke with a full bodied smoke...
    I kind of agree. I don't know how anyone could call a full bodied stick mild, but I do know that some people find cigars that are generally accepted as medium bodied to be more full... I suppose it all depends on a particular person's pallet how they perceive the strength of a cigar.
  • Options
    BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    btw thank you very much for the cigars its most aprreciated i will leave a review of sum of them on monday i look forward to smoking them. thank you again