Home General Discussion
Options

cigar shipping

o.k. guys i been trading and passing some smokes,now 1 out of 4 smokes i get in return either cracks or just starts to deteriorate,after about 3-7 days,
gentlemen we need to work on better packaging for shipping,
now if some of my smokes i have shipped out arrive like crap to some of you please let me know, i cant fix it,if i dont know its broken,
but today i was going thru some smokes and i was stuck because the sticks that where tore up,where not smokes i buy,so i have to toss them basicly throwing out money
not ragging on anyone in particular just putting this out there since i know im not the only one that this might be happening to,

Comments

• Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    been doing trades and whatnot for about a year and never had that problem... sometimes a stick or 2 will have a blemish or something, but I've never had anything fall apart... I just smoked a CAO America on the 4th that I traded for on here and it unraveled a bit but the smoke was boring me anyway so I wasn't too bummed...

I do my best to include a charged humi pillow and 90% of the packages I receive are from BOTL's who do the same...

but I agree that care should be taken... go with the golden rule, only send out sticks that you would want to receive...
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    yeah i have done a lot of trades in a short amount of time on here and no one has complained to me at all...it could just be people arent shipping with the sticks not moving around....but i include a humi pack if i have one, and i almost always do
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    o.k. guys i been trading and passing some smokes,now 1 out of 4 smokes i get in return either cracks or just starts to deteriorate,after about 3-7 days,
    gentlemen we need to work on better packaging for shipping,
    now if some of my smokes i have shipped out arrive like crap to some of you please let me know, i cant fix it,if i dont know its broken,
    but today i was going thru some smokes and i was stuck because the sticks that where tore up,where not smokes i buy,so i have to toss them basicly throwing out money
    not ragging on anyone in particular just putting this out there since i know im not the only one that this might be happening to,
    i hear what you are saying.

here are some tips that have helped me in the past.

1) never put more than 5 cigars in a single bag. if you have more than 5 to send, divide it up into more bags.
    2) suck all the air out of the bags the cigars are in. this keeps them from bouncing off of each other and crushing each other
    3) only put in a humi care pack if the temps are above freezing and below 80. too cold and the thing freezes and can damage cigars, too warm and it gets way to humid causing splitting
    4) if you can, ship cigars with the cellophane left ON
    5) put padding on all sides of the box. if you put the cigars in first with no padding on the bottom, and the box gets dented on the bottom, your cigars take the brunt of the impact. if there is padding there, then the padding takes it. I like to use paper towels, bubble wrap, tissue paper, or air pillows as padding. i shy away from news paper. it is often too stiff. newspaper is still better than nothing.

• Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Here is an idea. If both traders have a herf-a-dor, ship the sticks in that. If you don't have a herf-a-dor, there is a certain place you can get them with 8 decent sticks for a pretty low price. Maybe Ccom can put something like that together? Either way a Herf-a-dor is not terribly expensive when you figure out the value of the sticks that are sometimes being sent. Just a thought I had.

I definitely agree on the humidipack. As far as only 5 sticks, I have seen packages come from Ccom with many more sticks in there. Of course their packages are packed excellently and on the rare instance I have had an issue with a stick (once) they replaced it.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ... im just going off of what has worked for me. YMMV
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I just reuse the packing bags Ccom uses for my orders. I've received no complaints from the guys here, but if anyone has received a damaged stick from me, please accept my apologies and I will make up for it in future trades.
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    sightunseen:
    I just reuse the packing bags Ccom uses for my orders. I've received no complaints from the guys here, but if anyone has received a damaged stick from me, please accept my apologies and I will make up for it in future trades.

+1, I wouldn't consider it an insult if I got a damaged stick in a trade. I know the guys here wouldn't do that. If you get one from me and have issues, let me know - I'll make it right. I already have one guy on my list that will get a replacement stick next time we do business. I try my best to pack them how I would want to get them. Follow the golden rule IMO.
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    well its on some of these dealings these are smokes i have not tried yet and when i go get it out,its all crappy,i thought it was my end so i went thru my humi and found the rest them, i had intended on let them rest for a few,but they are not evening making it past the first week,
    when i get my orders from the online b/m's i have no issues,so im going to assume that either most are not in the same humidity range as mine are they have been steady at 71% for almost 6 weeks,the temps been at 72-73, or the heat has been kicking there butts in shipping
    might have to start sincing humis before shipping