Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigarette smoker smoking cigars

wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
I'm a cigarette smoker but I'm quickly falling in love with smoking cigars... this started off in the clean pallette thread but i figured I'd come here with it before I muddled the thread with this. Anyhow I've found that if I don't watch myself I'll smoke my cigar too fast like a cigarette and all I can taste is pepper so, I set it down after every puff to pace myself... I know I can't be the only one who smokes both, and with that anyone else got tips on this aspect of cigar smoking? Things to help a cigarette smoker fully enjoy a cigar! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    youre smoking too fast because of how cigars deliver nicotine. your body craves it. the way you get it in cigars is far to slow for your body. to make up for this, your body tells you to smoke faster.

since this stems from the cleansing your palate thread, suggesting that you smoke a cigarette just before you smoke a cigar is probably right out.
    my only other thought is to quit smoking or buy expensive nicotine replacement patches so that you arent looking to get your fix. those are both probably unattractive options. ever thought about quitting cigarettes? ... now may be the time.

however, you may have to give up cigars for a bit as well.
  • Options
    surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    I'd say smoke a cig about half an hour before, so it gives you some time to cleanse the palate, then go for the cigar. I used to smoke cigarettes, and now just smoke cigars.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't say strongly enough, please do everything in your power to kick the cigarettes. I smoked them for way too many years and all I have to show for it is a long scar down my chest and five nice bypasses.

Not only that, but my wife also has a similar scar and SIX bypasses - all from my second hand cigarette smoke. She never did smoke cigarettes.

When folks think of the dangers of smoking cigarettes they first think of cancer. Hardly ever do they consider heart disease as a result of cigarette smoking but it's probably more prevalent than cancer.

Please, take it from me....I've been there, done that. Lose the cigarettes.

Marty

• Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    surfingzeeko:
    I'd say smoke a cig about half an hour before, so it gives you some time to cleanse the palate, then go for the cigar. I used to smoke cigarettes, and now just smoke cigars.
    That's what I do 95% of the time since I pretty much do any form of tobacco I can get my hands on except chewing, never tried that never will. I've learned if I have a cig shortly before I go to review or even smoke a cigar I tend to be good and don't smoke as fast as I would if I just went to have a cigar.
  • Options
    surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    jlmarta:
    I can't say strongly enough, please do everything in your power to kick the cigarettes. I smoked them for way too many years and all I have to show for it is a long scar down my chest and five nice bypasses.

Not only that, but my wife also has a similar scar and SIX bypasses - all from my second hand cigarette smoke. She never did smoke cigarettes.

When folks think of the dangers of smoking cigarettes they first think of cancer. Hardly ever do they consider heart disease as a result of cigarette smoking but it's probably more prevalent than cancer.

Please, take it from me....I've been there, done that. Lose the cigarettes.

Marty

Yeah I stopped when I was 21 after 6 years of smoking. Coughing up blood isn't that cool.
  • Options
    I've tried quitting several times, the patch never stays stuck to me, "cutting back" only works for so long and switching to a "lighter" smoke only makes me smoke more I really don't know what to do and if I had to give up cigars during that time I would probably be impossible to be around. Not sure switching to dip would be the better alternative...
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Hayblet:
    I've tried quitting several times, the patch never stays stuck to me, "cutting back" only works for so long and switching to a "lighter" smoke only makes me smoke more I really don't know what to do and if I had to give up cigars during that time I would probably be impossible to be around. Not sure switching to dip would be the better alternative...
    Try Snus Hayblet. I use Camel Snus once and awhile while I am at work just to get through such a stressful day. BUT I am not addicted. I rarely chew more than once a week. Also Ive heard that Snus is a safer alternative. Its not completely safe because you are still introducing toxins into your body but it doesnt have all the crap cigarettes do.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Damn you Marty!!! K when this cartons done i'm done with cigs or at least I'll do my damnedest thanks for the inspiration Marty thats a pretty rough story brother.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't mean to come down heavy on you, my friend, and I'm no tobacco evangelist. It's just that I hate to see intelligent people, and especially BOTL's, take such a chance with their life. You wouldn't believe how grateful I am to The Man Upstairs for giving me the chance to get off of cigarettes.

From everything I've been able to read, handmade cigars are way safer for a bunch of reasons. And not inhaling them gets a place at or near the top of the list. When I smoked cigarettes I inhaled anything I stuck in my face - pipe, cigar, whatever. I now know how stupid that was.

CigarAdvisor.com recently did a poll (unscientific, naturally) asking whether respondents inhaled their cigars 1. Always, 2. occasionally, or 3. never. 75% of the respondents replied 3. Never. I think that's pretty indicative and shows intelligence as well.

Anyway, long ashes and good health to you, my friend.

Marty

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been in this same boat. Kuzi's advice is good, (as is everyone else's) there have been times when I just had to give up all tobacco until I could develop a new set of habits. I still smoke some cigarettes, this usually consists of once or twice a year I'll buy a pouch of Samson (European stuff) or American Spirit and roll my own. When I do this, I try to use the same smoking habit as when smoking a cigar, in order to avoid the rapid nicotine infusion that comes from inhaling. The best advice (for those of us who insist on tobacco as a free choice in living our lives) is "Slow Down!" One of the worst things you can do to a good cigar is smoke it too fast. You lose out on all those subtle background flavors that make smoking worthwhile. I tell friends, when I give them a cigar, that it should be a meditative experience. Smoke it like you're a Shaman communicating with the spirits, each moment frozen in time to savor. My most frequent everyday smoke is probably the G.H. Vintage 2002, which is a robusto, usually takes me 50 - 70 minutes. A few nights ago I had a Nica Libre Diplomatico while watching a movie that lasted about 2 hours, (both the cigar and the movie) each time I ashed it, the end was flat. You'll get the most out of your cigar experience this way. Cut down the cigarettes, especially the "ready made" pre-packaged chemical laden trash. Hope this helps. BTW, about three years since the last time I went to cigars only, I never wheeze or hack out brown crap anymore, no smokers' hack when I wake up, think about it! :)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    I'm going to try and take my 2 weeks vacation back to back so I have 14 days in a row to try and not smoke cigarettes I think having a 2 week jump on that would be ok and then I can still use snus at work for that fix on long shifts.