Home Cigar 101
Options

Can't get my humidity down

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
I finished seasoning my humidor and put my sticks in a few days ago. However, the humidity is still 77%. How do I get my humidity down? Dry beads? Leave it open for a while? I'd appreciate it if someone could help.

Comments

• Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Ya you can do either you can also put some dry ceader in there like from old boxs or if you have any spills I dothe beads first also if none of that works try this. Take the entire humidor and place it in a large plastic trash bag, squeeze out the excess air, and seal for a few days empty of course if it is still high you probly bhave a seal problem and are not getting enough air circulation also im sure you checked your hygrometer right
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you already have beads then "decharge" them till they are about 25% charged. then when the humidor gets to the range that the beads are supposed to be in, add a bit more so that 30%- 50% are charged (depending on humidity in the area where you live)
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    kuzi16:
    if you already have beads then "decharge" them till they are about 25% charged. then when the humidor gets to the range that the beads are supposed to be in, add a bit more so that 30%- 50% are charged (depending on humidity in the area where you live)
    This is what I'd do. Use the cool setting on a blow dryer or place them by the air conditioner. Something like that.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Definitely beads. Humidity here during the summer is always really high, and I would come home to an ambient humidity close to 80% on more than one occasion. Not so since I put a large bead tube in my humidor. Haven't gone above 66% since then.
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    Some great advice so far. I agree seems like your beads may be a bit overcharged. Might be a possible seal issue there too. More beads might help, but drying them down a bit seems like a better solution. I'd also double check the hygro - just to be sure. The boveda test packs work great and last a long time, so they're worth it especially if you want to test multiple hygros.
  • Options
    Well, got the humidity down, but when I tested the hygrometers again through the salt test, they came out 77 and 80. Maybe it's time for a Boveda test? I can't seem to get an accurate 75 read on the salt test, so I'm either correct, or they've been 2 and 5 off the entire time after the first test.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Well, got the humidity down, but when I tested the hygrometers again through the salt test, they came out 77 and 80. Maybe it's time for a Boveda test? I can't seem to get an accurate 75 read on the salt test, so I'm either correct, or they've been 2 and 5 off the entire time after the first test.
    Not a bad idea (the boveda test) that way, you won't have any doubt...also...what kind of hydrometer are you using? If it's analog (the dial), go outside and throw it as hard and as far away as you can, then go find yourself a digital. I like to get the Excaliber III from Amazon, already pre-calibrated, all u do is turn on and put them in your humi, that's it.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Krieg:
    wwhwang:
    Not a bad idea (the boveda test) that way, you won't have any doubt...also...what kind of hydrometer are you using? If it's analog (the dial), go outside and throw it as hard and as far away as you can, then go find yourself a digital. I like to get the Excaliber III from Amazon, already pre-calibrated, all u do is turn on and put them in your humi, that's it.
    I'm using the Humi-care digital hygrometers from CCom. Kelly got me a good deal on humi-care sets.
  • Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    wwhwang:
    Krieg:
    wwhwang:
    I'm using the Humi-care digital hygrometers from CCom. Kelly got me a good deal on humi-care sets.
    have you tried the test in a jar insted of the plastic bag like most people use this is how I have always done it it provides a perfect seal so you dont have to worry about slight air exchange
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Having the same problem as Wayne is here in MO. Humidors seasoned correctly. Hygro's calibrated very recently using Boveda. Replaced the 70% beads with 65% beads this weekend, COMPELTELY DRY, and STILL cant get the humidity in any of my 4 humi's below 74%. WTF???

Signed,

Miffed In Missouri

• Options
    MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    What's the atmospheric (room) humidity at? That might be influencing the RH in your humi

Also, 74% is not too bad, you just don't want it higher than that!

You might want to leave the lid open for an hour or so

• Options
    MrMoke:
    What's the atmospheric (room) humidity at? That might be influencing the RH in your humi

Not sure about ambient room RH, but I will find out. Figured it must be less than the humi's because on a few occasions, I have left the lids open long enough to drop the humidity level below 70%... close the lids, get up the next morning, and BAM! Back in the 74% range again! So d@mn frustrating!
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    The Sniper:
    MrMoke:

Not sure about ambient room RH, but I will find out. Figured it must be less than the humi's because on a few occasions, I have left the lids open long enough to drop the humidity level below 70%... close the lids, get up the next morning, and BAM! Back in the 74% range again! So d@mn frustrating!
    Are you using beads? You could ake them out and use a blow dryer on low to dry them out and then add the dry beads back into the humi. That will draw up some of the excess moisture.
  • Options
    vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    how many sticks you got in it? i used up alot of sticks the weekend of the 4th of july. as a result i only had a half full humi my rh jumped to 77%. i ordered 56 sticks to stock it back up ,and now i am back to 70 %
  • Options
    Thats the frustrating part Doug - bought the 70% beads after reading again and again how rock solid the beads were (like to keep mine closer to 70% than 65%), and they actually made the RH go UP instead of down.

No problem I thought - I will just buy up some 65% beads & use those. Before I threw THOSE in the humi to replace the 70% beads (removed those), the RH was 74% in the humidors. After I charged the 65% beads and put them in the humis - 74%. Got pissed & threw in a couple pounds of UNCHARGED beads to see if that would reduce it - 74%.

• Options
    I would move that humi to somewhere else in the house even just for now. Give it a day and see if the humidity has changed. The beads caqn be overcharged too, and then they cannot regulate the way they are intended to. If they are too wet they will just sit there giving off excess humidity until they dry out to the level at which they were "trained" to hold at.

Adding those dry beads should help but there may be a lot of excess humidity and it will take some time. Are you sure the Hygrometer is working? I would put it through a few tests as well. These beads also have a range that they are affective at. The 65% beads will swing between 62% - 68% while the 70% beads will swing between 67%- 73%, so really youe humidity is only slightly above the top end of your beads.

I would not panic at any rate. Whatever you try now... give it time to affect some change before trying something new or you won't know what helped. Those dry beads will likely help, if you give them a few days to absorb the moisture. What is the ambient humidity of the room you have the humi in?
  • Options
    If the beads are charged (or over-charged), they should be clear like ice crystals instead of white, as they arrived when I ordered them, correct?

Calibrated all the hygro's with a boveda kit, and the only one that didnt check out is being replaced today.

Not panicking - yet. I will find out what the ambient RH in the room is & keep you posted. If it is insane (which I doubt, since they are in partially underground level of my spilt level house), I will relocate and see what happens.

The frustrating part is not being able to figure out how I managed to F up a system (beads) that so many have said is idiot-proof... not so good for the ego. LMAO! At any rate, thanks to all the BOTL who have & continue to weigh in on this subject - your assistance is VERY much appreciated!

• Options
    The Sniper:
    If the beads are charged (or over-charged), they should be clear like ice crystals instead of white, as they arrived when I ordered them, correct?

Calibrated all the hygro's with a boveda kit, and the only one that didnt check out is being replaced today.

Not panicking - yet. I will find out what the ambient RH in the room is & keep you posted. If it is insane (which I doubt, since they are in partially underground level of my spilt level house), I will relocate and see what happens.

The frustrating part is not being able to figure out how I managed to F up a system (beads) that so many have said is idiot-proof... not so good for the ego. LMAO! At any rate, thanks to all the BOTL who have & continue to weigh in on this subject - your assistance is VERY much appreciated!

Lol. Don't feel bad for yourself, Sniper. When I first transitioned to beads, I actually followed the directions from the manufacturer, which said that I needed to drown it in water for 4 hours...not 15 min, like I actually needed. The thing exploded with gel beads going everywhere. I had to blow-dry and air-dry those damn beads for 5 days before they went back down to a manageable size.
  • Options
    The Sniper:

• Options
    The Sniper:
    The Sniper:

OK, follow-up... my ambient room RH is holding at 66 or 67%. He11, maybe I should just leave the humi's wide open! LOL

• Options
    The Sniper:
    The Sniper:
    The Sniper:

OK, follow-up... my ambient room RH is holding at 66 or 67%. He11, maybe I should just leave the humi's wide open! LOL

What is the RH in the humi now? It may indeed be an idea to keep the humi open for a while if your beads are still too wet. Just watch for fluctuations in your room humidity.