Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Bad Nica Libre

Just smoked the Nica Libre I got in the AJ Dirty Dozen sampler. Honestly, probably the worst quality stick I've ever had. I was getting basically no flavor from it. My first thought was that I didn't take care of it properly, but it spent about a week in my humidor along with the Gurkha Park Avenue that my friend was smoking, which came from the same sampler. I'm assuming, based on the good reputation the Nica has on here, that I just got a bad stick. Anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    My first Dirty Dozen sampler, I got the Nica Libre also. Didn't really care for it since all I got from it was spice. Then again, however, I was new to smoking cigars and it might also need some more rest. A lot of people seem to like it, though, so I'll get back to these sometime. Hopefully, I'll be able to get it in a trade?
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I hated the first few Nica Libres I had. Then I let one sit in my humidor for about 7 months. I tried it again late at night with some Brugal and it was very pleasant. Maybe even good. I keep a 5 pack around now.
  • Options
    JumperJumper Posts: 135
    Okay. Thanks guys. So it wasn't just me?
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I have had mixed experiences with Nica Libres. I've had some that have smoked perfectly and tasted great, and just as many that have been plugged so badly they can't be smoked, etc.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    every Nica Libre I have smoked has been great. sorry you had a bad experience. I actually enjoy these more than a Padron
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    dennisking:
    every Nica Libre I have smoked has been great. sorry you had a bad experience. I actually enjoy these more than a Padron
    I enjoy them about as much as the standard Padron line, but the Anniversary blows the Nica Libre out of the water, as it should for twice the price and then some.
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    docbp87:
    dennisking:
    I enjoy them about as much as the standard Padron line, but the Anniversary blows the Nica Libre out of the water, as it should for twice the price and then some.

I'd go to this vs. a standard Padron every time, just based on price. The flavor hits me as just a bit sweeter with just a bit more spice. Just like Dennis, so far I've been impressed with burn for the price so far, every one of them has smoked great. I would say pick more up when they are dirt cheap on a DD and revisit (maybe with a bit more rest). I have some Padrons with about 2.5 years on them and they're good but got real mellow. That's good and bad...
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'm gonna catch flak for this, but I haven't had a good Nica Libre yet. They just don't do anything for me, regardless of price point. And I'd take a standard line Padron any day over the Nica, respective prices considered.
  • Options
    kaipocruz1kaipocruz1 Posts: 61 ✭✭
    I was also wondering why this cigar was getting so much hype...I don't care for it very much at all.  To be perfectly honest, I don't even care for the padron standard series maduro line either.  I do however enjoy the heck out of the padron natural 2000 and 3000's.  They are my go to golf smoke cause they go really well with beer...which is usually what i'm drinking out on the course.  I'm curious to know if anyone has some recommended sticks that pair up nicely with a Heineken or lager type beer?
  • Options
    GentlemanGentleman Posts: 152
    I had my first one of these the other night and I enjoyed. Then I looked at how affordable they are and enjoyed it even more. I got mine in a trade and wouldn't mind buying some myself. Sorry to hear your not enjoying it as much.
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Ive got 3 Nicas sitting in my humi atm and Ive loved the ones Ive smoked. Maybe I just like the spicyness? I did get a ton of flavor as well.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    More rest should help. I've had over a dozen Nica's so far and have only had one bum stick. I really dig them and they are a regular in my rotation.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I have had a few nica libres. The first one I had I smoked after a couple of weeks of getting it, and wasn't that impressed. And now I have a had one with about a year of age on it, and have to say it was a totally different experience. It was a good smoke. For a good daily cigar, this is a great choice, I would just recommend aging it some. And don't compare it do a God of Fire, or a Padron 45th Anniv or some super duper premium. It is what it is, a good daily smoke that won't break your bank.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Couldn't compare it to a "Super Premium" if I wanted to. But I hear what you're saying.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Im with you and Kaipo....I think this stick shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence as any Padron stick. It tasted like the ashtray might after I smoke a Padron.
  • Options
    ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    I smoke my first and only Nica about two weeks ago. I loved every inch of it.
  • Options
    Vulchor:
    Im with you and Kaipo....I think this stick shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence as any Padron stick. It tasted like the ashtray might after I smoke a Padron.
    It's funny how some people's palates differ from others. I enjoy the Nica so much more than any Anniversary Padron I have ever had. I get that same great flavor from the San Andres wrapper but I just like the blend better on the Nica. In regard to the non-anniversary Padron's, I haven't been impressed whatsoever. There are a lot of sticks at that price that are so much better and for the price of an anniversary, I would rather be smoking an LFD DL chisel maduro or a Camacho Triple Maduro.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    The LFD Double Ligero Maduro----lets fire em up Dennis....those are a d@mn good stick.
  • Options
    Vulchor:
    The LFD Double Ligero Maduro----lets fire em up Dennis....those are a d@mn good stick.

This ^^
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I am a fan of the Nicas. For the best experience, don't buy into the hype of it being comparable to Padrons or other super-premiums.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    I am a fan of the Nicas. For the best experience, don't buy into the hype of it being comparable to Padrons or other super-premiums.

I honestly came into it with no presumption of the specifics of the flavor or strength; only that it would be at least a decent cigar. Like I said, though, I'm sure I just got a bad stick. I'd be happy to try them again, but very hesitant to pay MSRP for them.
  • Options
    kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    I would not pay retail for them - but I have had quite a few and have not had a dud (yet). Don't give up on them!
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Was the Nica Libre you had of the Imperator size by chance? Ive had several people tell me that particular size has WAY more issues than any other size in the brand line.

Its also possible that you just got a crap stick - it happens sometimes, with every brand and size. If we're talking about a $25 or $30 stick its INSANELY frustrating. Considering the price point on the Nica Libre, along with the good reviews I and several people have had with them, you might want to give it another shot in another size and see if it makes any difference to you.

Would hate to see you miss out on a good thing because you happened to get a one-in-a-million cruddy construction stick. :-D
  • Options
    The Sniper:
    Was the Nica Libre you had of the Imperator size by chance? Ive had several people tell me that particular size has WAY more issues than any other size in the brand line.

Its also possible that you just got a crap stick - it happens sometimes, with every brand and size. If we're talking about a $25 or $30 stick its INSANELY frustrating. Considering the price point on the Nica Libre, along with the good reviews I and several people have had with them, you might want to give it another shot in another size and see if it makes any difference to you.

Would hate to see you miss out on a good thing because you happened to get a one-in-a-million cruddy construction stick. :-D

No, mine was the Exclusivo, I believe. I'll give it another shot though. Maybe I'll get one in a trade down the road.
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I am surprised by all the negative opinions of Nica Libre in this thread. I am just about done with a box of the robusto sized ones (whatever they are called) and they have all been good. So good, in fact that I picked up a box of the principes on the weekend deal last week, as I have been wanting some smaller smokes. Were it me, and I got a bad one, I definitely would try them again. Not really fair to judge a cigar by just one example.
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    yaeh i had it to and hated it...the taste, the smoke, everything from it....i may try another one when i get one in on a trade but i am not going out and looking for it
  • Options
    I think they're great. They seem a little underfilled and smoke pretty fast, but the taste is very good. That said, they're not on the same level as Padron in my book.
  • Options
    Vulchor:
    in the Chisel of course, hells ya!!
    the Nica size I like the most is the Diplomatico
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    dennisking:
    Vulchor:
    in the Chisel of course, hells ya!!
    the Nica size I like the most is the Diplomatico
    I too am a fan of the Diplomatico.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I enjoy nica libre and Padron, either is good to me with or without age.