Home Cigar 101

How long should it take to smoke?

Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
Reading posts about how new cigar smokers smoke too fast, how long should it take to smoke one (Churchill, torpedo, robusto etc)

I'm just curious at the varied responses..

Comments

• I tend to smoke faster than most people. I can't remember the last time I had a smoke last more than an hour, but I read about others that smoke for 1 1/2 or 2 hours.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Good rule of thumb to follow is a puff every 30-45 seconds. Adjust accordingly depending on the ring gauge of your cigar (i.e. smaller ring gauge = smoke slower).
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Obviously, it depends on how tight the draw is, ring gauge, etc. But in general, a typical robusto will take over an hour (1:15 to 1:30). Toro 1:30-1:45, Churchill I'll plan at least 2 hours if not more. I tend to smoke a bit slower than some, so smoking a bit faster than these times may not negatively affect your smoking, it's the guys that take 30 minutes for a robusto that are just killing their cigars. I watched a guy I know smoke an Olive Series V lancero (7x38) in 45 minutes. All the way to the nub. Gross.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    Obviously, it depends on how tight the draw is, ring gauge, etc. But in general, a typical robusto will take over an hour (1:15 to 1:30). Toro 1:30-1:45, Churchill I'll plan at least 2 hours if not more. I tend to smoke a bit slower than some.
    Ditto
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    KCW:
    TatuajeVI:
    Obviously, it depends on how tight the draw is, ring gauge, etc. But in general, a typical robusto will take over an hour (1:15 to 1:30). Toro 1:30-1:45, Churchill I'll plan at least 2 hours if not more. I tend to smoke a bit slower than some.
    Ditto

+2, Ive streched some Toros close to 2 and some decades over 2 hours.

But I am notorious in my group for smoking slow..
    I typically smoke slower in a group when everyone is talking, than when by myself

• HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I could give you some typical smoke times for me, but I'm rather notorious for smoking slow. When JoeyJoe and I did our MoW day, we started MoW Original Toros at the same time, and he was finished and 1/2 of the way into a MoW Special Edition before I finished my MoW Original...
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Rather than give a rigid time structure, I'll just say smoke at the pace you're comfortable with that doesn't cause your cigar to burn hot. This can and will vary from cigar to cigar depending on vitola and how tightly/loosely packed it is. When I catch myself smoking a little too quickly, I try to dial it back and remind myself that I smoke cigars for the relaxation factor and not to set a world record on smoking time.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    The way I smoke is to smoke the cigar as long as its still enjoyable.. As far as how often to draw from the cigar, I draw from it just enough to keep it fully lit. Hope this helps! Enjoy :)
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    not long enough,i hate it when i run out of smoke,because i have to stop and reload
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I smoke slow. and it also depends on the particular brand we are talking about. To me, the biggest key is the time between puffs. I like to keep it around a minute between, but sometimes faster. I wouldn't do more than a couple draws a minute. Similarly, I wouldn't go more than a few minutes between draws or you could have burn issues or even have to relight the whole stick.
  • It depends where and when im smoking...If I am at the B&M having a drink and chatting with friends, sometimes I can make a toro last 1.75-2 hours...If I am smoking the same toro on the back porch with nobody around, I tend to smoke a little faster, only lasting around an hour...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont gauge how fast im smoking by how long it takes to smoke a cigar anymore. i can tell you how long it generally takes to smoke various sizes, but that may be missing the point. new smokers do tend to smoke a bit fast. this heats up the smoke, and causes you to lose the favors we are looking for in cigars.
    smoking the first half really fast, then slowing down to compensate and make it the "right time" still doesnt solve the problem.

here is how i know if i am smoking to slow or to fast:
    when the ash of the cigar drops, if there is a pointy glowing cone on the end, then i know i am smoking to fast.
    if after the ash falls and it is concave (the unburnt wrapper sticks out well beyond the center of the cigar) then i am smoking a bit to slow.

the goal here is to have it be almost flat.

i personally smoke a bit slow.
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Also a slow smoker here (Robustos around 1hr 15m - 1hr 45m and a Toro/Torp around 2h). What I actually recommend is that you find your own pace. I did that when I was originally concerned about being a slow-smoke (My soon-to-be father-in-law can pound a churchill before I top out a robusto). Basically just start the smoke off like you normally would, then try slowing things until you notice how the flavor changes. Speed back up and smoke faster than your normal pace and notice that flavor change. Chances are you'll find a smoking speed that gives you the sweet spot you're looking for.

• GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I think 15-20 mins/ inch would be a fair guide.
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    Smoking alone definately gets me to smoke ALOT faster. When I'm with buddies I tend to puff once a minute. I also tend to put it out alot faster when I'm alone. When alone, I probably put the cigar out when it's 3/4 burnt. Many have criticized me for this but I don't liek the harsh flavors that the end of the cigar brings. I'd rather put it out and go back inside especially when it's this hot out. When with friends, I smoke alot slower and tend to be the last one done becuase I'm a big talker. It's all relative though, do what makes ya happy, brother.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Big T smokes:
    Smoking alone definately gets me to smoke ALOT faster. When I'm with buddies I tend to puff once a minute. I also tend to put it out alot faster when I'm alone. When alone, I probably put the cigar out when it's 3/4 burnt. Many have criticized me for this but I don't liek the harsh flavors that the end of the cigar brings. I'd rather put it out and go back inside especially when it's this hot out. When with friends, I smoke alot slower and tend to be the last one done becuase I'm a big talker. It's all relative though, do what makes ya happy, brother.
    ha ha! i have the same "problem"
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    kuzi16:
    Big T smokes:
    I thought it was just me
  • I just smoked a 5VM Robusto. I made a concerted effort to slow down my pace and it lasted an hour and 5 minutes.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    There really is'nt a 'correct' answer! Smoke as fast or slow as you want to. I tend to be in a hurry and smoke a bit faster especially if smoking alone, when in good company with good conversation I'll smoke slower.

I fyou smoke too fast though, the stick will tend to get hot, so that's a good sign to slow it down a bit, another more subtle sign is uneven burn, again I tend to get this smoking alone, and then slllloooowwwww it dowwwwwnnnnnnn!

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    kuzi16:
    Big T smokes:
    That's so funny, because I'm the exact opposite. When I'm with friends I tend to smoke too fast, because I'll be puffing away, usually slightly drunkenly, with no regard for my pace. When I'm alone I tend to have a more introspective smoking experience which results in a slower, methodical pace.