Home Cigar 101

humi temp staying high...

shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
So my humi has been at about 72 deg 73% rh for the past three weeks ... I have tried everything to get the temp and rh down but even with running the air it doesn't help. I do have a 70/70 solution inside the humi. Do you think I should drop it to 65% rh solution/beads? Do you think I should take the cigars out for a day and try help dry them out some?

Comments

• MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    So what's wrong with 72 temp. 73%Rh? That's well within what the "experts" would recommend. Your sticks should age nicely. If you like to smoke em dryer, get a small humi to use as a dry box and put them in there for a day before you smoke them.

You are worrying way too much if you think you have to get them to 70/70!

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Has this affected the way they are smoking at all? Are they smoking like they are too humidified? If so, then sure, you may want to do something about it, but I wouldn't worry too much at this point. If it goes on for an extended period, then sure you may run risks, like creepy crawly monsters, but really you should be fine like that.

I have a box fan conveniently directed in the general direction of my humidors set up in my apartment, and that helps keep the temperature reasonable. Some guys put battery operated fans in their larger humis to keep air cool and moving. I'm not sure you are in need of that sort of measure though.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Do not be **** retentive about the RH humidity. Any number between 64% and 72% is fine; truth is, every cigar smokes differently. Some will be best at 68%, while other less-tightly-rolled cigars will burn better at 72%. Some people like their cigars even drier and try to keep them closer to 60%. Ignore what everyone tells you about 70/70 and experiment with slightly drier and wetter humidity levels until you find what you like best. Personally, I prefer 65%-67% RH as the ideal relative humidity. Temperature control is not nearly as critical as the humidity. Any temperature between 50-75 degrees is fine. A couple of notes though; at the lower temp, the aging process slows down, while at the higher temp, the hatching of the dreaded tobacco beetle is a potential risk. More importantly, always keep your humidor out of the sunlight - being bathed in the sun's rays drastically escalates the internal temperature within the box. Also, never place it on a television set or near a stereo system, as any such electronic device will generate considerable heat. Totally DISREGARD any table or advice explaining that the ideal humidity for storing your cigars changes depending on the temperature. This is a myth that sadly has been published in some otherwise respectable publications. It is based on the principles of absolute moisture content and not relative humidity. 70% relative humidity is 70% relative humidity regardless of the temperature (hence the term "relative"). You may want to try a 50/50 solution or best of all get beads!
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    thanks for all of the input ... i wasn't too worried about it but then i started reading all of these posts / articles about beatle issues around those temps/rh - thanks for the reassurance that i am not ruining my cigars. I actually moved my humi into the pantry and it has rounded out to around 72/72.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    beetles usually are not that big of a problem until you hit about 75-77 degrees. but if you keep the Rh a touch lower, this should lessen the danger. id stop worrying. my humi is at 76* right now and 65%RH... i sleep well at night.
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    I've only been in the hobby for about a year and I just didn't want to ruin everything that i have collected over the year. Thank you everyone.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    During the day, I have my thermostat at 75 during the summer and my RH stays 65-70%. No worries for me.
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    73 degrees should be just great. I worry when mine gets to 76-80 for fear of bugs. I just put my humi inside a cooler with a blue ice pack wrapped in paper towell. Keeps the temp at 69-74. I switch packs twice a day and its perfect. Boveda packs maintain 65-67 rh at all times for me.
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    One2gofst:
    During the day, I have my thermostat at 75 during the summer and my RH stays 65-70%. No worries for me.

Must be nice to have a real ac. We have swamp coolers here in the southwest and they suck. My house is always 85+ in the day time.