Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Padron 2000 Natural

docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
PADRON 2000 (Natural wrapper)
5x50 box press

This is a standard line Padron, not the illustrious and lauded Anniversary series so it obviously is more of an every day smoke (and with a price point often under $5, it's a whopper). I have not had a whole lot of experience with this stick, but the experiences I have had have been good.

The stick has a fairly firm pack, aside from a few small spongy spots here and there. The wrapper, as seems typical of Padron, is a little lumpy and rough looking, and has a tough, leathery feel to it. Coloration is not entirely even either, with a good number of darker spots on the leaf, that I assume are left from the fermentation and rolling/pressing process.

The aroma off the wrapper is light, and creamy, with a touch of spice, like paprika. The foot has a good humidor and tobacco smell, with some pepper physically in the nose. Pre-light draw gives sweet, aged tobacco, and a little spice zing.

Lit at 10:50pm.

Initial flavors are of woody tobacco, with a good palette coating nuttiness, and a little pepper on the finish.

Getting about a half inch in the flavor has sort of rounded out. The draw produces a pretty dry, woody flavor, that shifts through sweet tobacco, and then hits you with a pretty good pepper flavor and tingle on the finish which is lasts for what feels like a lifetime. I am still experiencing the finish as I take my next draw most of the time. Burn line is thin, and even, and the ash is attractive, black inside, with thick white rings of wrapper around it.

image In the second third, the pepper is still present on the finish, but there is a nuttiness on the draw that has replaced the wood as the dominant flavor. For a $4.50 stick this is offering some great transitions and complexity.

image And finally the last third initially is adding a weird fruit element somewhere in there, that is actually reallly pleasant. Like dried fruit. One of the strangest, and surprising developments I've ever noticed in a cigar. Not something I have found previously, and it has so far lasted only two draws. We'll see... Nope. Didn't last. Flavors are getting a little hot. Stick is getting hot at an hour and fifteen minutes. Pepper and nuts still shining through, but the temperature is coming up. Put it on a clip to smoke further...

Ended at 12:23 for a total burn time of 1 hour 33 minutes, when it finally got too hot and mushy. Great everyday priced smoke!

Comments

• Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Nice review! It has been far too long since I've had any of their flagship line.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I've always enjoyed the brown label Padrons, and I can't remember the last time I actually had one in my humidor... I need to correct this problem very soon.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    PuroFreak:
    I've always enjoyed the brown label Padrons, and I can't remember the last time I actually had one in my humidor... I need to correct this problem very soon.

2000&3000 were my go to cigars for about a year. Ive got one coming and will dust it off after a little rest.
  • Options
    kaipocruz1kaipocruz1 Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Fourto the one coming has a least a year on it already...it was the last one out of a box I bought around april (before prices went up on them) of last year. Just get it seasoned to your humi and I took care of the rest! They are still my favorite golfing sticks...sadly I have no more for my round on the big island next week!