Home Cigar 101

Matches or Butane

JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
I use both but I am starting to like wooden matches a lot more it seems. I have a Z-Line insert(?) for my zippos so I usually carry that around with me too. About 2 years ago my grandfather passed away leaving a lot of stuff around in his garage. I came across some matches he has had for years and they werent even opened. Like a huge box lol. I think I use them more for the memory but Im not sure whats the best method of lighting. What do you all think?
"Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    If you know how to use them, go ahead and use matches. Just make sure the sulfur's burnt before you light the cigar. I prefer using butane lighters because they're easier. I couldn't even get one cigar lit with an entire matchbook lol.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on ring size I like to use both; smaller ring gauges = matches, bigger ring gauges = lighter. I really don't know why, I just do.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    If you really want to get fancy try using ceader spills
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Yea I always remember to let the sulfur burn first bleh lol. The matches are pretty long and produce a large flame. I was able to light a 60 gauge Casa Magna with one.
    lol you know whats funny? If a cigar comes with a ceder wrap I use my lighter to light the ceder and use that instead lol.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I prefer a lighter just because it's easier. But I do use matches from time to time. I have a ton of little CCOM match boxes, lol. I usually use the matches if my lighter runs out of butane and the matches are closer to me than the bottle of butane. Yes, I'm that lazy.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    JSaint:
    Yea I always remember to let the sulfur burn first bleh lol. The matches are pretty long and produce a large flame. I was able to light a 60 gauge Casa Magna with one.
    same here. I actually have some "fireplace" matches that are about 8 inches long and thick. One will produce a pretty big flame and they're long enough I can let it burn all the way into the wood only until I touch it to the cigar and still light a 60 ring with one. I use a Xikar or Bugatti torch for convenience and when I'm out, but if at home, I try and use matches.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I prefer a lighter because it is easier, but if I am smoking something more rare from my aging humidor, I usually will light with a strip of cedar. Lights slower and tends to not scorch the foot as much.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I have gotten very good with the matches, but I use both. Since I have a ton of ccom matches (as I am sure that we all do) I actually have a little trick where I use two, light them at the same time and then spread them a little to create a double flame. I roll and puff and it gets the cigar going nicely and most importantly looks super cool ;)
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use butane almost exclusively. I only smoke outside on my patio and it is usually pretty windy where I am. I tried the matches, but even using two or three, they tend to blow out before I get a good light and they I say something like, "Oh sugar!" or something like that.

The butane torch works all the time and I get a good light.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I'm kind of weird and use both: Torch lighter to toast and matches for the actual light.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Best of both worlds: a natural flame lighter...that's my preferred method.
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Butane for sures. It's easier.
    Anyone know where to get cedar spills? And I wish I had my butane lighter with me today lol. I got my cigar lit but the wind was then too strong so the cigar went out and I couldnt relight it =(.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555

I use Butane - in a Nibo. If im indoors I will use matches.. The only problem w my lighter is that it only lights about 10 sticks before needing a refill.....

Less if Im smoking with friends. Mostly because most of my friends over light their cigars - really cooking them......

• TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    You can get cedar spills cheap on ebay. As for the cigar.com matches, I wish they would upgrade to a little better product.
    Theedge:
    You can get cedar spills cheap on ebay. As for the cigar.com matches, I wish they would upgrade to a little better product.
    Agreed. Both CCOM and CI have some ok matches. And actually the last two purchases with CCOM I havent recieved any oh well. Also thanks for the heads up I will check that out.
    Nvm just checked Ebay and it keeps spell checking me when I put in Spills lol. I cant find them on their at all for the life of me. If you just recently saw them could I get the link?
  • surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    My local B&M has sheets of cedar just for lighting that the owner gives away to clients. Try your local one, and see if that works.
    surfingzeeko:
    My local B&M has sheets of cedar just for lighting that the owner gives away to clients. Try your local one, and see if that works.
    My local ones around here are crap. They are pretty junky so I rarely ever goto them.
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    i have butane lighter i paid $80. i refilled with good butane and it never worked again. but on the other side i bought a cheap one, refilled it many times and it works great. but i do keep the ccom matches i get from orders as back a up
    This is what I use for a butane lighter. image I bought this thing on ebay and it works perfectly. It even fits in all of my zippo lighters that I have.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    For cedar spills, try getting some cigar boxes and breaking them down.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    vegassparky:
    i have butane lighter i paid $80. i refilled with good butane and it never worked again. but on the other side i bought a cheap one, refilled it many times and it works great. but i do keep the ccom matches i get from orders as back a up

I bought a Nibo a while ago for a hefty tag (way overpaid, but didnt get up to $80).

It works fine.

My original torch (I call it a crack torch, cuz thats what it looks like) I bought for $1.99 @ a convenience store on a whim about 10 years ago.
    This one works fine also and I take this one with me if I think I am going to be out drinking, cuz I dont worry about losing it.

• zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    The more expensive lighters may be less tolerant of incorrect refueling procedures. Be sure to vent any remaining pressure, and turn the flame level all the way down before refilling. Give this a try with yours and see if it helps.
    Grrr still cant find any cedar spills. I might just rip apart a humidor that I have thats not working anymore.
    Here you go: click here
    Theedge:
    Here you go: click here
    Fantastic! Cedar sticks....why didnt I think of looking for that lol.
    I might have to try some too. Seems fancy!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I generally smoke outside, so definitely torch lighter for me. I'm weird - I start with my triple flame to warm my cigar up, and then the last time before I start smoking I use my Bugatti. All part of my pre-smoke ritual!