Home Cigar 101
Options

Is this a good selection of sticks?

Howdy...I'm a total noob to picking out sticks and am wondering if I picked a good selection with my first orders - below:

ACID by Drew Estate, Kuba Kuba, Habano
ACID Opulence 3, Robusto, Maduro
Alec Bradley Tempus, Quadrum (Box-Pressed), Habano
Diesel, Unholy Cocktail (Belicoso), Maduro
Graycliff 1666, PG, Maduro
Gurkha Grand Envoy, Toro, Connecticut
Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ Maduro, Selectos
Perdomo Lot 23, Toro, Connecticut
Rocky Patel Vintage 1990, Robusto, Maduro
Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, Robusto, Habano
La Gloria Cubana, Glorias, Sumatra
Man O' War Virtue, Lonsdale, Connecticut
Padilla Achilles
Nica Libre
La Herencia Cubana
La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte
Man O' War
Gurkha's Park Avenue
5 Vegas Triple-A
Man O' War Ruination
Graycliff Turbo

Of course with these and the other stuff I ordered I ended up being 75c short of the total for the free sticks...that's what I get for not paying attention, lol.

Then I figured I'd go all out and ordered some from the sister site:

CAO Black Ltd. Bengal
CAO 'VR' Moby
CAO Brazilia Gol!
CAO Italia Ciao
CAO Mx2 Robusto
5 Vegas Gold Double Nickel
Alec Bradley Harvest Selection ’97 Robusto
Augusto Reyes Epicur Torpedo
CI Anniversary Epicure
Cu-Avana Toro
Erin Go Bragh Toro
Felipe Dominicana Especial ’T’ Torpedo
Fonseca 5-50
Fonseca Vintage Robusto
Graycliff G2 Pirate
Gurkha’s Park Avenue Churchill
Gurkha’s Sherpa Café Torpedo
La Aurora Cameroon Robusto
La Cuna Connecticut Torpedo
Leon Jimenes Robusto
Macanudo Cafe Hyde Park
Padilla Achilles Torpedo
Perdomo Habano Connecticut Robusto
Perdomo Lot 23 Robusto
Profesor Sila Churchill
Rocky Patel Connecticut Torpedo
Rocky Patel Edge Lite Torpedo

Haven't gotten any of them yet cuz I'm in Afghanistan :( Any ideas on which one to fire up first?

Comments

• Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    First of all you should email them quick and add something to get the free sticks. It looks like a pretty good started selection to me but I have to ask why you didn't order a sampler? You should really enjoy that Sol Cubano and the La Herencia.
  • Options
    kommando32kommando32 Posts: 15
    Well most of those are from samplers, just figured I'd put them in there in a list form so any potential reply posters wouldn't have to go look up what was in the sampler :)

I figured I had plenty of time on my hands in the evenings so I got a wide variety...kinda like a super sampler.

I'm ok with not getting the freebies, it was a good lesson that taught me to pay more attention, lol.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Take a look at R&J Viejo too, its a solid medium bodied stick that I really enjoy. I got it in the medium bodied sampler I ordered when I was starting out. Also, the RP Decade is really good.
  • Options
    Thanks Goldy...I'll definitely put the R&J and the Decade on my list for the next order.
  • Options
    kaipocruz1kaipocruz1 Posts: 61 ✭✭
    It looks like you've covered a lot of the bases with your first order...kinda smart because as soon as you start getting really into it, theres not going to be a stick out there that you won't want to try. I see you got a lot of aj's offerings...smart man! The best advice that I can give you is to kind of test out what type of wrapper you like at what certain times of day. I usually smoke a connie in the morning with a cup of joe or some tea. If I can smoke during the day...that's when I smoke my full body stogies. At night, because I'm usually pairing it with some type of alcohol, I like to smoke a more mild to medium body smoke (that way I don't wake up with ash mouth in the morning.) Keep a journal or at least write down which ones you like because chances are you can steal um off a daily deal!
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Kind of all over the place in terms of strength, size, etc, but that's cool because you can figure out what you like. Only ones on there that I would never ever smoke are the Acids, but a lot of guys like them just fine and, like I said, I wouldn't know if I liked them had I never tried them. One word of advice, when your order comes, do not put the Acids in with the rest of your sticks, as to keep from infusing the whole humidor. Enjoy.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    One2gofst:
    Acids in with the rest of your sticks, as to keep from infusing the whole humidor. Enjoy.
    thats what i was gunna say.
  • Options
    jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    You've got a pretty big variety of sticks there. I woulld recomend starting off with the lighter smokes like the Fonseca, or RP Connie.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Ummmm. Thats quite a first order for a "Total NewB". When I was new, I just ordered singles. I pretty much smoked them as I got them. I didn't even have a Humi.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    One2gofst:
    Acids in with the rest of your sticks, as to keep from infusing the whole humidor. Enjoy.
    thats what i was gunna say.

Ditto
    keep the acids stored in a separate bag, tupperware or humidor.

Also, I would suggest some of the samplers. 12 angry men is a good one.
  • Options
    rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    First of all welcome.

You seem to have a good selection going, a few I don't like but thats the good thing about cigars everyone like something diffrent. Like others have said keeping a log of what you smoke is a great idea, and it helps when its time to order agian.
    Have you ordered a humi of some kind?
  • Options
    Thanks ross for the welcome and everyone for taking the time to give me some advice...I really do appreciate it.

Thanks for the tip on the Acids, because I would have stuck them in there with the rest, I'm guessing they are a little fragrant.
    Keeping a log is an excellent idea to jog my memory when it's time to reup the stick stock.
    It is true I ended up with a broad sampling, that way I didn't get discouraged if I got one I didn't like...I'd have some more to try out. Ok, there is another reason - it takes a while to get mail out here - this way I don't have to wait for a couple of weeks to try a new one.

As far as humidors go I ordered a couple of herfadors, but I won't have enough room, so the rest will have to go in the boss's ammocanador. Of course I'm sure that will come at a price...
  • Options
    kaipocruz1kaipocruz1 Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Build your own with a lock! My brother went to Iraq for two years and I sent him so many cigars that he gave away. He was telling me that as soon as he lit one up, all the scabs come around looking for handout! It was so bad he would only smoke when he had night duty by himself...gotta tell these guys that these bad boys aren't cigarettes and tell them that you gotta smoke um to post reviews of them online! Maybe that way they won't bug you for some.
  • Options
    MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    kommando32:
    Thanks ross for the welcome and everyone for taking the time to give me some advice...I really do appreciate it. Thanks for the tip on the Acids, because I would have stuck them in there with the rest, I'm guessing they are a little fragrant. Keeping a log is an excellent idea to jog my memory when it's time to reup the stick stock. It is true I ended up with a broad sampling, that way I didn't get discouraged if I got one I didn't like...I'd have some more to try out. Ok, there is another reason - it takes a while to get mail out here - this way I don't have to wait for a couple of weeks to try a new one. As far as humidors go I ordered a couple of herfadors, but I won't have enough room, so the rest will have to go in the boss's ammocanador. Of course I'm sure that will come at a price...
    ,br>
    Well we have herf-a-dor, tupperdor, coolerdor and now ammocanador!!! I like it, lol.

Good selection BTW, mando, looks like you got all your bases covered with what you have ordered.

• Options
    Oh they will definitely be locked up...I think I'll put them in the safe behind a door with a cypher lock, and inside a building that has another cypher lock door. But then again I'm armed and don't part with my stuff easily, lol. Pretty much everyone that is here that partakes in the leaf has their own supply or gets the dried out ones from the local vendor. Not to mention the guys that work around here bug out way before it's time for me to sit down and relax.
  • Options
    Yup I was typing away and was trying to think of a good name for the bosses ammo can stogie storage system. Didn't really have a ring to it, so viola, the ammocanador name was born. Hmmm sounds like a good name for a new humi line.
  • Options
    StihlheadStihlhead Posts: 19
    Another thing to think about with the Acids. Smoke them first. They were my gateway cigar and at the time I loved them. Now I have a hard time smoking one at all. If you get them out of the way then you can start to enjoy the non infused sticks and learn to taste the tobacco instead of the chemicals and oils in the Acids. When you do your next order you may find you miss the Acids or you may not.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Looks like you got a really great selection there, so I'd say you're off to a great start. Only thing I'd caution is that you aren't gonna get a cuban from any of those vendors over there! We've had a few guys stationed in Iraq/Afghanistan come on here asking if what they bought was legit - it never is.
  • Options
    JumperJumper Posts: 135
    Selection looks great.