Home General Discussion

Wrappers Blends and Tobacco

ok so im uncertain to the different types of wrappers and how they affect and change and shape a cigar about the different tobaccos that go into a cigar for example a dom. rep. cigar and a nicuraguan cigar or sumthing. does these taste different smoke different etc. and can anybody give me a over view of all this or post a link to a place where all this is listed

Comments

• Big DanBig Dan Posts: 69
    btw thank you to everybody who has helped me so far ive learned a great amount about cigars since i have joined this forum and its been very useful
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Big Dan:
    ok so im uncertain to the different types of wrappers and how they affect and change and shape a cigar about the different tobaccos that go into a cigar for example a dom. rep. cigar and a nicuraguan cigar or sumthing. does these taste different smoke different etc. and can anybody give me a over view of all this or post a link to a place where all this is listed
    The wrapper won't change the shape, but it will change the flavor... You can take the same exact cigar and wrap it in a Ct. Shade wrapper and another and wrap it in a Sumatra wrapper and get a completely different taste out of both...

Tobaccos will drastically change the taste as well... The DR has completely different soil and weather than Nicaragua... To the same end, you can have various tobaccos from the same place that have drastically different flavors as well... You can have one place in a country that has rich thick black soil and relatively sunny weather while another place in that same country may have loose sandy soil and almost always under cloud cover... These two tobaccos will taste completely different... In fact, the latter would most likely make excellent wrappers...

This is how cigars are "blended"... The master blender will choose various tobaccos based on their flavors and blend them together in different proportions to get the flavor he's looking for...

Last but not least I'll also mention binders... A binder is put between the wrapper and tobacco... It's what kinda holds everything together... Binder tobacco leaves are generally very thick and usually ugly as hell... If you ever have a wrapper come off and are left with only the binder you'll see exactly what I mean.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a link:

blending 101
    this should help a bit

edit: link stands out more now.
    rusirius:
    The wrapper won't change the shape, but it will change the flavor...
    the shape will also change the flavor.
    would anybody care to compare and contrast the different tobaccos from different countries. i dont think my pallette would be able to pik them up right now so tasting them wouldnt help me out.
  • kuzi16:
    rusirius:
    You lose me there. I don't understand how the same tobacco in the same wrapper, just rolled in a different shape could possibly change the flavor...
    haha good point actually idk like the torpedo would make sense and same would a corona and a robust bcuz the more tobacco you pack in there the stronger it will be also you will pick up more of the other flavor and tastes in the cigar by the variety and the amount of leaves. like its kind of the same principal as how a master roller can purposely change the flavor throughout different points of a cigar bcuz he knows which leaves and blends will change the flavor.
  • for some sizes it may be the wrapper/filler ratio since it is usually the wrapper that drives the main flavor. if it is longer then the flavors will develop differently as it is smoked. sizes can also effect the temperature of the burn which can cause the flavors to change. this is just a brief explaination though. kuzi included a good link above that should define it more.
  • ChrisCookz:
    kuzi16:
    rusirius:
    You lose me there. I don't understand how the same tobacco in the same wrapper, just rolled in a different shape could possibly change the flavor...
    The shape changes the flavor by restricting the amount of leaves that you can put into the cigar, of certain areas of a cigar. A perfecto will develop more complexity while you are smoking it because of the fact that it will be tapered on both ends. And i haven't smoked any really weird shapes (Drew Estate has some interesting ones) But i'm sure that is the same concept. It's all about what can fit inside of your stick.
    the link that kuzi left is excellent i read the whole thing like three times picking out the points of intrest and i still have to figure out which countrys tobacco appeals to me the most but that may take sum trial and error
    a few of the guys hit on my point of the shape influencing the size.
    wrapper to filler ratio.
    the perfecto is the most complex size because the wrapper to filler ratio is always changing. ... now that i think of it, its also constantly changinf in a Pyramid shaped cigar. Many of teh modern blenders will actually compensate for this change in flavor depending on shape so that all of the cigars in a line will taste the same.
    if the blenders are traditional they wont. old school cubans will differ from shape to shape. and so will may higher end noncubans. dont ask what ones will. I dont have that info.
    sorry.
  • BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    hmm that makes sense but at the same time idk wtf ur talking about a lil too much bacardi tonite
    BigDan.:
    hmm that makes sense but at the same time idk wtf ur talking about a lil too much bacardi tonite
    lay off the sauce!!!

...i didnt want it to come down to this, but it has to.

math

wrapper to filler ratio is basicly how much tobacco is made up filler vs. how much is filler.
    first we have to make a few minor asumptions:
    1) the part of the cigar that is burning and the part that is just about to be burned is infinatley thin. so at one instant its not burning and immediatly after, it is --making it two dimentional.
    2) the wrapper has a width of 1/64 of an inch.

we have to make these assumtions so that we have:
    a) a surface area calculation only
    b)a relativly easy set of numbers to work with.

Cigar "A" has a ring guage of 50. Cigar "B" has a ring guage of 40. if we look at the foot of each of these cigars we will be looking at two circles within circles. (the inner circle represents the filler of each cigar). Cigar "A" has a diameter of 50/64 and that means a radius of 25/64ths. since Area = Pi times radius squared we can figure out the surface area of the foot of the cigar. so:

3.14 x (25/64 x 25/64 ) = 0.4791 (ish) inches squared.

that is the entire surface area of the foot of the cigar. we need the wrapper's surface area only. we get that by subtracting out the surface area of the filler. this is where assumption number two comes in. if the wrapper is 1/64th of an inch thick then the filler diameter must be 48/64ths of an inch or a radius of 24/64ths therefore the surface area of the filler alone is:

3.14 x (24/64 x 24/64) = 0.4415 (ish)

now we must subtract out the filler surface area from the entire area to get the surface area of the wrapper alone.

wrapper surface area = 0.4791 - 0.4415 = .0376

to get the wrapper to filler ratio you devide the wrapper surface area by the filler surface area:

0.0376/0.4415 = .08516(ish)

ok ... now for the cigar with a ring guage of 40...

total surface area = 3.14 x (20/64 x 20/64) = 0.3066ish

filler surface area = 3.14 x (19/64 x 19/64) = 0.2767 ish

wrapper surface alone = 0.3066 - 0.2767 = .0299

Wrapper to filler ratio = 0.0299/0.2767 = 0.1080

on the smaller cigar (cigar "B") the ratio produced a larger number than on the larger cigar (cigar "A") 0.8516 is less than 0.1080

therefore smaller ring guage cigars have a higher wrapper to filler ratio and therefore have a different flavor than the same cigar rolled with the same tobacco and rolled larger. any questions?

this is why the lancero size is becomming popular.

dont make me do math this early in the morning on my day off again.
  • Now you're speaking my language a little better :-D. That makes more sense but there are a couple things I'm not sure about at this point, but I'm sure if I read through it again when I haven't JUST gotten up and everything is still fuzzy it'll make more sense.
    and to extend the point...

the perfecto and pyramid shape have a constantly changing wrapper to filler ratio therefore it is more complex.

i guess it should be noted that a cigar gets 40%- 60% of its taste from the wrapper. thats why the ratio is so important.
    so why isnt the filler to wrapper ratio posted on the information for the cigar on ccom? or any other site?
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    BigDan.:
    so why isnt the filler to wrapper ratio posted on the information for the cigar on ccom? or any other site?
    I think that would kind of be like expecting every automobile to list the exact ratio of each type of pigment versus metallic flake per square inch...

1: These things are rolled by hand... As close as they try, it's not like every one is going to be exactly the same and exactly perfect... Not to mention the figurados change for every cross section...

2: Why does it matter? Do you care about the ratio of paint to flake in your car? No, all you care about is rather you like the color or not... Why worry about the exact ratio of wrapper to filler (nevermind binder) in a cigar??? All that matters is rather you like it or not...

If you just mean so you'd know which ones have more wrapper versus filler, etc... That's pretty self explanitory... The smaller diameter the cigar, the more wrapper to filler you'll have...

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that there are SO many factors that completely change the taste of a cigar... The only thing you can really do is get some idea of the profiles you like and try them... If you like them, great... If not, great... ;)

Relax... Smoke a cigar... Like it or don't like it... Stick out tongue [:P]
    haha i should have thought about that. the smaller the gauge the more the wrapper has an effect duhh right. and hell ya to relaxin and smoking a cigar haha i dont always have time i only get a few days a week to smoke and i nvr have time on the weekends so i try to learn as much as possible for now. wat i need is a big as humidor to fill :)
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    BigDan.:
    lay off the sauce!!!

...i didnt want it to come down to this, but it has to.

math

wrapper to filler ratio is basicly how much tobacco is made up filler vs. how much is filler.
    first we have to make a few minor asumptions:
    1) the part of the cigar that is burning and the part that is just about to be burned is infinatley thin. so at one instant its not burning and immediatly after, it is --making it two dimentional.
    2) the wrapper has a width of 1/64 of an inch.

we have to make these assumtions so that we have:
    a) a surface area calculation only
    b)a relativly easy set of numbers to work with.

Cigar "A" has a ring guage of 50. Cigar "B" has a ring guage of 40. if we look at the foot of each of these cigars we will be looking at two circles within circles. (the inner circle represents the filler of each cigar). Cigar "A" has a diameter of 50/64 and that means a radius of 25/64ths. since Area = Pi times radius squared we can figure out the surface area of the foot of the cigar. so:

3.14 x (25/64 x 25/64 ) = 0.4791 (ish) inches squared.

that is the entire surface area of the foot of the cigar. we need the wrapper's surface area only. we get that by subtracting out the surface area of the filler. this is where assumption number two comes in. if the wrapper is 1/64th of an inch thick then the filler diameter must be 48/64ths of an inch or a radius of 24/64ths therefore the surface area of the filler alone is:

3.14 x (24/64 x 24/64) = 0.4415 (ish)

now we must subtract out the filler surface area from the entire area to get the surface area of the wrapper alone.

wrapper surface area = 0.4791 - 0.4415 = .0376

to get the wrapper to filler ratio you devide the wrapper surface area by the filler surface area:

0.0376/0.4415 = .08516(ish)

ok ... now for the cigar with a ring guage of 40...

total surface area = 3.14 x (20/64 x 20/64) = 0.3066ish

filler surface area = 3.14 x (19/64 x 19/64) = 0.2767 ish

wrapper surface alone = 0.3066 - 0.2767 = .0299

Wrapper to filler ratio = 0.0299/0.2767 = 0.1080

on the smaller cigar (cigar "B") the ratio produced a larger number than on the larger cigar (cigar "A") 0.8516 is less than 0.1080

therefore smaller ring guage cigars have a higher wrapper to filler ratio and therefore have a different flavor than the same cigar rolled with the same tobacco and rolled larger. any questions?

this is why the lancero size is becomming popular.

dont make me do math this early in the morning on my day off again.
    Whoa... you just leave math outta this... the only math I need is the how much Money can buy me more sticks...

If math is involved I'm not interested!
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I love math, and I've got the trophies to prove it :)
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    You also have an odd love for all things excel.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    Crazy Mathletes coming into our forums, classing up the joint!
    i think we would be better off with a agriculturalist haha just kidding, i envy you math genius's i cant do that kind of *** to save my life