Home Cigar 101

Certain cigars seem dry

Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
I have a CAO VR and a Montecristo Media Noche in my humi that seem harder and dryer than the other cigars in my humi. I have about 16 sticks in a 20 ct humi and like I said, most are fine. I have a good majority of them outside of the cello, including the CAO and Montecristo. The rest of my sticks seem to be perfect. My digital hygrometer reads 73 degrees Fahrenheit and about 68% RH right now. The other sticks have the perfect consistency when i lighty squeeze them... not too hard and not too soft. My Montecristo Media Noche and my CAO VR appear to be dry and hard. Is this possible? They both have a maduro wrapper. Can this jsut be why they "seem" too dry? They've been in the humi just as long as the rest of the sticks. Been in the same environment too... I've been gettng pretty consistent readings on that small humi forthe llast month or so. I don't have much experience with Maduros... The good news is I'm not really in a hurry to smoke these bad boys so I have all the patience in the world. Any advice or pointers would be great.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    all cigars are different. there are some that are just firmer than others. for example, the El Cobre is solid as a rock ad 68% Rh but smokes and tastes great. once lit it does not act dry.

if you are not to familiar with the cigar, and your RH has been steady for a long while, i would be inclined to trust the hygrometer. if you get your hands on more of those cigars compare them and see how it goes. it may be how its rolled.

i almost never use "squish" as a factor on deciding if my cigars are too dry or not. its how flaky they are, how they taste, how they burn, etc...
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    ahh. so I won't know until I smoke it if it's too dry?
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Probably not. Anyhow, if the others are fine and those sticks are problem, you aren't going to be able to "fix" them in that humidor anyhow.
    68% with a maduro is probably fine.

i like maduros and have almost 50% of my inventory as maduros. i keep my RH at 65% because they burn better there.
    So the firmness is probably normal?
    id guess so. get a few more of them to be sure. if its consistent across the entire line then yes.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    id guess so. get a few more of them to be sure. if its consistent across the entire line then yes.

Then after you get a few more of them, get a bigger humidor. Once you do that, fill that one up
    Once that ones full get a bigger humidor and fill that one up... well you get where this is going....

Fourtotheflush:
    kuzi16:

Then after you get a few more of them, get a bigger humidor. Once you do that, fill that one up
    Once that ones full get a bigger humidor and fill that one up... well you get where this is going....

yes
    haha you should see how much my collection has grown in just this past month. It's a shame the wallet has to shrink because of it...