Home Cigar 101
Options

terminology

when buying cigars does anyone know how to determine size type etc from the name terminology or for that matter a glossary of terms heck how about cigars for dummies.............

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    there are charts you can look up but generally if you look through the lists of cigars you will see patterns. if you spend enough time around them youll learn the patterns.

for instance: 5 x 50 is almost always called a robusto
    6 x 50 is almost always a toro
    if its tapered at one end and is over 5.5 inches long its usually a torpedo and if its under 5.5 is a belicoso

if you are trying to order cigars from here but are new to the cigar world you can call up or use the live chat feature here on cigar.com and you can ask questions in real time, not forum time.

of course we all will be glad to help out here at any point.

we were all cigar newbs at one time. heck, im still a cigar newb.
    im a perpetual newbie.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Since terminology can change from one manufacturer to another, your best bet is to just look at the dimensions listed, such as 5" x 50 is 5 inches long with a ring gauge of 50, ring gauge translates into 64ths of an inch, so that 5 x 50 is 5 inches long and 50/64 of an inch in diameter. I hope that is more helpful than confusing, but my main point is that there doesn't seem to be a universal set of names for any particular size. though some are pretty standard.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Since terminology can change from one manufacturer to another, your best bet is to just look at the dimensions listed, such as 5" x 50 is 5 inches long with a ring gauge of 50, ring gauge translates into 64ths of an inch, so that 5 x 50 is 5 inches long and 50/64 of an inch in diameter. I hope that is more helpful than confusing, but my main point is that there doesn't seem to be a universal set of names for any particular size. though some are pretty standard.
    that is very true. great point there.
    sancho panza is a brand that is like that. for example in the Extra Fuerte line the pamplona is 4.5 x 50. many other brands could call this a robusto. some may call it a short robusto. some may have some other name that has nothing to do with cigars.

there is not a 100% concrete chart that says X = Y no matter what.
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Joe and Kuzi pretty well covered it. The best advice I can give is just give it time. Read stuff about cigars and whatnot. Pretty soon you will develop a basic understanding and it will grow exponentially from there. Welcome to the hobby.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    There are a number of makers who use different names but you will pick up on that soon enough. BTW, sticks shorter than 5" (Robusto) are sometimes called Rothschild. You will find that there is no standard but rather general concensus among most makers.