Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Arturo Fuente "King B"

docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
Arturo Fuente "King B"
6x55 Belicoso

This is my first sungrown Fuente I will have smoked. I'm looking forward to it very much, as Fuente always delivers a good cigar. I've had a bit of a sinus issue the last few days, but I think my taste buds are finally back on top of their game, so I'm gonna give it a shot.

Got this cigar from Havana Connections, a local B&M, for about 8$ I think. It has a medium brown wrapper, with a few visible veins. The construction is great, obviously hand made, with a few lumps, and bumps. Fairly firm. The sems are visible, but not loose, which seems to be typical of Fuente cigars I have smoked previously. The aroma off the wrapper is not very strong, but is slightly fruity, with a touch of cocoa as well. The foot smells heavily of cedar, which is no doubt at least in part attributed to the cedar wrapper this stick has.

After cutting the head, the rest of the cap starts to unwravel. I have to take it off, but the stick remains tightly wrapped, and it doesn't cause any problems immediately. The draw is a medium loose, and offers cinnamon and a musty tobacco flavor, with a lot of pepper zing and flavor across the tongue. This is a sungrown wrapped stick, so I am sure it will deliver in the strength department.

Lit at 1:19am.

The initial draws do not give nearly as much pepper and heat as I expected. In fact the dominant flavors are a rich cedar and earth mostly. There is a light pepper tingle on the back of the tongue on the finish, which lasts for a while, but is not very strong.

Okay, well about a half inch into the first third I am now getting the heat and strength I expected from a sungrown. There is a dull, lingering pepper heat in the back of my throat, and the rear of my tongue. The flavors are still the seem, rich earth and that sort of sweet cedar. Only an inch in and I'm starting to think I should be drinking something sweet, as my stomach is a little off feeling already.

Ash was holding firm. Tapped it off at the start of the second third. Also noticed that the pepper flavor has fallen off, as has the heat from it. The flavors of cedar and earth are still present, with a dry tobacco flavor, that is slightly musty. Just past the halfway point at 55 minutes, the heat starts to come back. It is not overly peppery, but it is back. Really loving the in your face strength of this stick. I'm not sure where the tobacco is grown, but I know that the strength is from the Sumatra wrapper. Pretty far into the final third there is a strong musty, aged taste that really comes through on the retrohale through the nose. Pretty cool flavor, as I don't think these are made with tobacco that is all that old.

Just towards the beginning of the final third, or right before it, the flavor is getting pretty robust. More complex, with a little cinnamon, as well as another strong spice flavor, like cumin or paprika, which I LOVE personally. I wish these flavors were there earlier, but love that they are here now. The finish is also lasting a bit longer now, leaving cedar and pepper flavors. The earthy tones are pretty much gone. Really loving it now though.

Ended at 3:00am. Total burn time of one hour fourty minutes. Great time, and certainly a great cigar. I would like to see how one smokes with a year on it to see if some of the later flavors in the stick come forward sooner.

Comments

• Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    A friend of mine brought me one of these to smoke months ago and I really enjoyed it! The spice flavor you picked up was there with mine as well (though I couldn't even put a name to it) every once in a while. Tasty cigar!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've tried a Queen B and wasn't crazy about it. Anyone know how they differ, or if it's just a size thing?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I didn't like either. The king was way too mild, barely could taste anything but soft wood. The queen was a bit better but still wasn't a cigar I'd go after again. I must not like the blending of AF or something, I have yet to like any of their lines except the god of fire, opus and anejo.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I have yet to like any of their lines except the god of fire, opus and anejo.
    They taste like money...and green is good. :)
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    The King B is one of my favorites. But I have to say, that the best vitola from the sun grown line is the Cuban Belicoso. The Rothschild is also one of my go-to smokes. Great review. Definitely try the other vitolas. I personally, would have worked my way up to the King B, but thats just my .02.....

I think that Fuente uses only Dominican fillers, but I might be wrong. I've never heard of their fillers coming from anywhere but the DR. If you like the high end AF stuff, but aren't crazy about the high end prices, then try the Don Carlos line. Middle of the road prices for Fuente and a damn good smoke.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    The King B is one of my favorites. But I have to say, that the best vitola from the sun grown line is the Cuban Belicoso.
    more so than the ashton vsg? I might have to try it then...
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    The Ashton VSG is one of my favorites also, but as far as price, I'll grab an AF over an Ashton any day...... Both very solid smokes, though.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I've looked around ( ok maybe only a little) but I would like to know what wrapper the King "T" uses thats T as in TATA's? It is my understanding that in the Sungrown line both the Queen B and the Cuban Belicoso uses a Ecuadorian sungrown sumatra, is this also correct?,, Ive read some stuff that says connecticut other says cameroon..Almost positive its not cameroon.
  • Options
    King T is Connecticut wrapped.
  • Options
    Thanks...Am I also correct in that the Queen B and the Cuban belicoso are very similar in that they both use ecuadorian sumatra?
  • Options
    Now I just read that the Queen B uses the same wrapper as the King B a rosado... So is the cuban belicoso the only one that uses sumatra? man It shouldnt be that difficult, even the Af website is vague, They say its sungrown from ecuador but leave it at that.
  • Options
    The Kid:
    Now I just read that the Queen B uses the same wrapper as the King B a rosado... So is the cuban belicoso the only one that uses sumatra? man It shouldnt be that difficult, even the Af website is vague, They say its sungrown from ecuador but leave it at that.
    Still looking,,, So its sungrown and its grown in Ecuador but what is the seed, since its describing it as a rosado, which is a color or shade , I guess I have to assume its not a connecticut and its a Sumatra.. Oh hell I guess I just buy a f'n box...Anyone want some Queen B's..lol
  • Options
    Just found out what wrapper they use on the Queen B its an exclusive.. It comes from the isle of vague near the straits of secrecy..
  • Options
    I think all of the AF Sungrowns use the same wrapper, the Ecuador Sungrown wrapper, but the King B and Queen B use the Ecuadoran Rosado.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    I think all of the AF Sungrowns use the same wrapper, the Ecuador Sungrown wrapper, but the King B and Queen B use the Ecuadoran Rosado.
    I appreciate the response but I know the Chateaus all use a connecticut. And from what Ive been told the King T does as well. So that leaves 3 other sticks in sungrown lineup the King and Queen B and The Cuban Belicoso. From my understanding the Cuban Belicoso uses the Sumatra.. I dont know what wrapper the B's use,, Shhh its a secret... Im not even sure if I should be talking about it, earlier today I was at the grocery store and there were men in black following me, I lost em when I spilled a display shelf of jarred oysters...OOPs I forgot one, the pyramid that uses a connecticut too.
  • Options
    The Chateau series is available with both Connecticut wrapper or Sungrown...
  • Options
    If they are then thats news to me.. Saying a wrapper is Ecuadorian sungrown i like saying Washington Homegrown. Yea Its homegrown in Washington but what kind of seed is being cultivated.. Now I dont think the seed is native Ecuadorian stock. So what kind of plant are we growing in Ecuador.. Here is a good link as to why they chose Ecuador for Sun Grown wrappers, The soil, the sun, the temps. All of it plays a part. But I guess its an exclusive seed that theyre not willing to disclose and I guess they dont have to..Ill check on the different options with the wrapper on the Chateau but It was my understanding Connecticut was it. Now maybe a maduro,, Ive smoked plenty of double chateau's and never once ran across a sumatra.. But wont be the first time I was mistaken..
    http://zencigar.com/2010/02/22/2010-the-year-of-the-ecuadorian-wrapper/

• Options
    docbp87:
    The Chateau series is available with both Connecticut wrapper or Sungrown...
    Well It looks like I was wrong and the chateau comes in both a connecticut and a sungrown. Thank You..And even though the Ecuadorian Sungrown is somewhat of a generic term, thats what they classify it as.. So Ill have to remember that in this case, a growing process determines the name/type of the wrapper. Still would like to know what stock they are using..Hey you ever smoke a queen B?