Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Alcohol and Cigar recommendations

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
I'm usually a Captain Morgan Private Stock/Jagermeister/Absolut kinda guy, but after reading and watching review videos on scotch, whiskey, cigar infusion, and the finer liquors, it's got me thinking that I'm really missing out.

I've never had a bottle of Johnnie Walker before, but it really has me interested, reading about it the Johnnie Walker Green Label. Can anyone give me recommendations on what they usually pair their cigars with or infuse their cigars with?

Also, what kind of cigars do you use for infusion? What flavor and aroma notes do you usually get from your alcohol of choice?

Comments

• Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Why not try a stereotypical single malt to see just much you care for the scotch/cigar combination?
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Stereotypical single malt scotch seems like an oxymoron to me. That said I have never had a blended scotch I like and only some single malts. I agree that the OP ought to try things to find out what he likes rather than others telling him what to drink or infuse (I'm not a fan).
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    I agree with whats been said, its important to find out which spirits you enjoy with your cigars.. I find myself usually drinking light or dark rum, single malt or blended scotch, and bourbon when I pair a cigar with alcohol. I really enjoy Brugal Rum, they have both Light and Dark rum.. If you enjoy Captain Morgans PS then give Brugal Dark a try.

This is not to say that you should limit your options to these, but I find that these spirits tend to pair well with my cigars.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    MOW Ruination with J Cuervo Gold is my favorite pair, not sure it is much on infusing
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    fla-gypsy:
    MOW Ruination with J Cuervo Gold is my favorite pair, not sure it is much on infusing
    I know I've said this elsewhere several times. I should be a paid spokesman. Try Eagle Rare 10yo single barrel bourbon or Buffalo Trace bourbon. Same distillery, both great bourbons with cheap price tags. If you want sweeter, try Forty Creek Canadian Blended whiskey. That stuff is like candy, but delicious adult candy.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    A few of my favorite pairings:
    Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban with Illusione (any size, as the black cherry note goes well with the port finish)

Flor de Cana 7 year or older with AB Tempus, MOW Ruination, or Diesel, or any other PA BL wrapped stick

I like lighter, fruitier Scotches, like Glenlivet 12 with a medium stick, like the basic Padron line or the regular Fuente line.

A super peaty Scotch like Laphroaig or Lagavulin goes great with Pepin's powerhouses.

I also like having a heavy stout, like Old Rasputin, with a good maduro that has a lot of cocoa and coffee.
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    I'm a big scotch fan and have tried many a single malt. Honestly I haven't found many I didn't like, but the one I love and keep going back to is Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I love anything from Laphroaig, and any Islay (peated) scotch as well but this one is the money maker with me.

It is a stronger scotch so it can wash out some of the milder smokes out there and make you lose out on their complexity. Sometimes the wash-out is fine if I want to just sit back and pass the time, not caring much about complexity.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'm a big fan of a good bourbon or a good scotch with cigars. For bourbon I really enjoy Elijah Craig because it has a pleasant smokey flavor that compliments a cigar very well! For Scotch I enjoy Auchentoshan Three Wood or Ardbeg. Both fantastic Scotches that are very different.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    There are a few other threads out there about this but here goes. For a cigar, you'll want to use something decent, but I can understand not wanting to use top shelf cigars - just remember: you start with crap, you'll end with crap. Also, pick a cigar with a hearty wrapper as sometimes fragile connecticut wrappers will not stand up well to infusions and are much more delicate to work with.

Pick a booze that you want to work with - Captain's Private Stock is ok, but there are better rums out there for the same price or slightly more. Try to find the notes in the booze and pair them with a cigar that those should work well with. Also, be careful with the infusion process, as alcohol can dry out cigars by causing water to evaporate. My last thought, though I haven't tried it yet, was to soak a sponge in the alcohol and allow it to air dry a few times so that the sponge soaks up the flavor of the alcohol and allows the alcohol itself to evaporate. Once the sponge smells like the booze, re-hydrate with distilled water and use that as a water pillow in a tupperware container or small, dedicated humi. The other option is to put the booze in a wide sauce pan and ignite it, thus cooking off the alcohol (don't do this if you don't cook with alcohol often and aren't familiar with the technique). What you'll be left with will be a sugar-based syrup resembling the booze - add some water and use that as your humidifying element.

You're gonna want to let this sit as long as possible - 3 months or more. Even still, don't expect a very strong flavor from the infusion. It will give off notes with the resting burn and hints on the draw but will not taste like a cheap flavored cigar.

Good luck!
  • Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    Aquanet and Swisher.