Home General Discussion
Options

Gurkha? Whats all the talk about, i will find out myself.

After reading through what seems like a 1000's of posts since I joined a few days ago, it seems as though mostly everyone has good things to say about Gurkha, I myself have never smoked one.  When i got home from work, my first shipment from Cigar of the Month was on my doorstep waiting patientyly, after ripping the box open like a 4 year old on X-mas morning i was happy to see 5 Gurkhas - 2 titans, 1 centurian, 1 legend churchill, and 1 legend Perfecto.  Looks like the extra Titan is the odd man out.  I will follow up tomorrow and let you know my thoughts. 

Comments

• Options
    2 titans huh, i guess they aren't putting the "beast" in there any more.
  • Options
    Nope no beast, but it does make the decision of which one to smoke first a lot easier for me.
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    la-henry:
    2 titans huh, i guess they aren't putting the "beast" in there any more.
    Yeah, that's interesting... I just got my shipment like 3 weeks ago and it had the beast... Maybe they ran out...
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Cazzie13:
    Nope no beast, but it does make the decision of which one to smoke first a lot easier for me.
    That's a really good way to look at it. I've still got my one and only Beast from my first ccom order, I just really don't want to smoke it and have it be gone. I think Gurkha is a pretty solid line from what I've had, some blends are better than others, and you'll probably come to find that you don't much care for some of them, but the good ones offer a pretty nice smoking experience.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    You can't go wrong with a Gurkha IMO. Enjoy and let us know how you like it.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    This man's opinion is that you're not missing much by not having the Beast. I mean, it's fun to try things, but other than that, I didn't find the Beast particularly . . . anything. I hardly remember anything about it, which is telling in itself.
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    urbino:
    This man's opinion is that you're not missing much by not having the Beast. I mean, it's fun to try things, but other than that, I didn't find the Beast particularly . . . anything. I hardly remember anything about it, which is telling in itself.
    Agreed... The beast seemed to be a sheep in wolfs clothing for me... I think I've still got a couple in the humi... It was seemed very light to me... Not complex at all, and .... bland... a little cedar and a little nuttiness but that was about it...
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Speaking of the Beast, has anybody ever had a Gurkha Beauty? I ordered some months ago and they are finally in stock and just shipped. Judging by my not really liking connecticut wrappers, I may not like them. Well, at least I tried them. Maybe they will be great. I really can't wait to try the Royal Brigade I have coming in.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    I'm with you this one Urbi, I got bored with it at about the one third mark and just sort of chewed on it for the next hour and a half. Just ordinary and a taste of wood. There are many better Gurkha than that one. so don't give up on them.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    though i think the centurian is the best gurkha i have had, the regent is a close second. I smoke this one often.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Have you had the Royal Brigade, kuzi? I can't remember.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Perhaps I'm the exception that proves the rule... but I have never had a Ghurka without burn or draw issues, which translates into a frustrating smoke, which is the polar opposite of why I sit down with a nice cigar in the first place. The Centurians have been the worst offenders. I've got plenty of great sticks in my humidors, it will be a long long time before I even consider picking up another Ghurka.
  • Options
    Hey Cazzie13, I hope you like them. It must be me because I did not care for any of the Gurkhas, partially because some were plugged and others unraveled. But anyway, for the record, not everyone here thinks Gurkhas are all the masses claim them to be. Two cents dropped, wish you well.
  • Options
    I am quite a fan of Gurkha. They make some really enjoyable cigars. Like any manufacturer, they also make some duds. My opinion of the Beast is exactly the same as everyone else: It tastes like cedar. That isn't a bad thing, but it does get dull eleven inches in...

The legends are fantastic and the regent is a great "value" stick, IMO. My personal experience with the regent is that you're better off with something in the torpedo size than a Churchill. I have found that the Churchill gets a little bitter by the end.

So far, my favorite Gurkha has to be the G3. Yum!
  • Options
    I have always enjoyed Gurka. Coincidentally smoked 3 or 4 in the last week. I have never really had any quality or burn issues either. Guess I have been lucky from what some guys have experienced.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Have you had the Royal Brigade, kuzi? I can't remember.
    no.
    its top of my to buy list. Ive never been a big cameroon fan but i wanna try those.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    Speaking of the Beast, has anybody ever had a Gurkha Beauty? I ordered some months ago and they are finally in stock and just shipped. Judging by my not really liking connecticut wrappers, I may not like them. Well, at least I tried them. Maybe they will be great. I really can't wait to try the Royal Brigade I have coming in.

If you decide you don't like the Beauty, I'd be willing to work out a trade. I've been wanting to try one of those for a while now.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Rob1110:
    rwheelwright:

If you decide you don't like the Beauty, I'd be willing to work out a trade. I've been wanting to try one of those for a while now.
    Brother, I'll keep that in mind however I did only order 2. If I REALLY hate the first one I'll let you know.