Home Non Cigar Related
Options

now you dont see this everyday

i was at work this morning, waiting to get the last api for the fuel system,im sitting on some steps at the fuel rack.
sun just coming up,when i felt what i thought was cat rubbing around my leg.
looked over and what to my surprise it was a skunk,making some weird noise like a cats purr, i almost jump the hell up and ran,but i kept cool and waited to see what the lil' **** was up to.
it wanted me to pet it and out of fear of getting sprayed i did, it was hanging around for about 20 mins.
once the sun hit the area it started to walk away but every so often come back for a last petting,once i knew it was gone i got my readings jump in the truck and hauled ass back to the panel room,
that was the closest i have been to a skunk, hopefully my last,lil *** freaked me out,
thats my saturday morning

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    that is freakin funny right there.
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    That's amazing man. It's always great when nature just happens around you, and now that's one last creature you think just wants to harm you. I had a buddy who had a possum that hung around his house in the country side he fed it and petted it just like a pet lol pretty neat stuff.

Ps I wouldn't recommend anyone treating an opossum as anything but a threat. I think his daughter found this one as a baby. I wouldn't touch one with a 10ft pole lol.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I think most people would have paniced and ran. Must have been a pretty cool experience. Heart stopping at first, but pretty neat in retrospect.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard of people having them as pets. They're supposed to be similar to cats. I assume there's a surgery of some sort to remove the spray gland.
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    yeah the guys at work watched from the panel room,and where laughing at me they thought i sprayed,but that was one animal im not a big fan of,my wife mentioned that some times they mate with cats also,and there are people that keep them as pets,im just not going to start to be one,this thing had me on egg shells i was trying not to piss it off or freak it out,otherwise i would be typing from my lawn since i would be bathing in tomatoe juice for the next few days,
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    It's weird - I grew up on a farm in NJ, and up there, if you see a skunk during the daytime, it's almost certainly rabid and should be shot on site. It's something everyone knows without question - skunks are nocturnal and if they're out during the day, they've gone rabid and need to be killed.

But when I first moved down to FL, I saw one out during the day and freaked out - I was about to run inside so I could get my gun and shoot it, when a friend told me that skunks are always out during the day down here, that it's normal. Really weird IMO.
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    This is one of those crazy stories like you'd hear from your Grandpa! "Gather round kids, let me tell ya' all about skunks..."
  • Options
    docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    You don't have to have them descented. At Silver Springs, FL they have taken one in from the wild that just hangs around their "settlement". They pet it and and pass it around to the visitors to pet if you like. It will not spray as long as it isn't threatened. I did hold it but if I confronted one in the wild I would yield right of way.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    That is awesome man. When I lived out on the lake we used to have a family of raccoons that we fed in a bowl every night after dinner. After a few weeks they got to where they would come gather around while I put the food out, then after a few days of that they would come scratch at the door around sundown and would eat from my hand. They would rub all over my legs and stand up and hold my hand while I talked to them... Nature can be so amazing sometimes.
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    and he/ she came again for another round,but it cought me eating some peanuts, and it wanted more then a petting this time,again out of fear of that rear end i gave it what i had,but this time it ate and ran,when some else is on my shift when im off that is going to be a story,not everyone will hold steady while it comes thru so i can see some one getting a nice spraying,stay tuned next thurs will be interesting.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    At a police station I used to work at in Roger's Park, we had a resident pet squirrel, Rocky. In the summer time he would come into the back door of the station, trot down the long hall to the front desk, hop up on the desk and wait patiently for one of the desk crew to give him some nuts. Then scurry back down the hall and out the back door again. Mind you, this is a pretty busy police station. It used to drive the watch commander crazy! LOL!

Rocky was pretty old at the time. It was 5 or 6 years since I worked there. Wonder if the little guy is still around......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    At a police station I used to work at in Roger's Park, we had a resident pet squirrel, Rocky. In the summer time he would come into the back door of the station, trot down the long hall to the front desk, hop up on the desk and wait patiently for one of the desk crew to give him some nuts. Then scurry back down the hall and out the back door again. Mind you, this is a pretty busy police station. It used to drive the watch commander crazy! LOL!

Rocky was pretty old at the time. It was 5 or 6 years since I worked there. Wonder if the little guy is still around......
    That's funny! I did some training at a small police department south of Albany, NY and they had a pet squirrel at the front desk at the station. All these squirrels at police stations, there has to be a joke in there somewhere...

• Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have them show up in my yard sometimes under the bird feeders, they usually keep their distance which is fine with me.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    That is awesome man. When I lived out on the lake we used to have a family of raccoons that we fed in a bowl every night after dinner. After a few weeks they got to where they would come gather around while I put the food out, then after a few days of that they would come scratch at the door around sundown and would eat from my hand. They would rub all over my legs and stand up and hold my hand while I talked to them... Nature can be so amazing sometimes.
    And one night, Puro's wife wasn't around, and he was feeling lonely, so he got out the jar of peanut butter, and then...
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    PuroFreak:
    And one night, Puro's wife wasn't around, and he was feeling lonely, so he got out the jar of peanut butter, and then...
    My dog licked my ballllz...
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨