question regarding a recent humidor purchase

Hey everyone, I bought a humi from a friend. He had two rectangular humidifiers(pieces). Its a 200 count humi. The problem is the two pieces are old, you can smell the slight mold from the pieces. Im getting two brand new pieces in the mail. Until then , what can I do to get the smell out. Assuming that the smell is embedded in the wood. Thanks guys.

Comments

  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130
    Wipe the humi down with paper towel that's slightly moistened with distilled water, then leave it open and let it air dry for a few days. If it's really bad, you can try to do some light sanding of the cedar lining.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Ottawa, ON, CanadaPosts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I'd probably dry out everything. If it smells like mold, he definitely overhumidfied. And don't use the humidifiers. Maybe use the cigar juice?
  • thanks guys... i will try ur recommendations. stav ill let you know how it turns out
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Just get some beads. Two "large" heartfelt tubes will keep you ROCK steady at whatever RH% you choose. Don't use the foam humidifiers, ever!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    If the humidors have been infected with mold, you gotta disinfect them. I can't remember what the recipe is, but I'm pretty sure it involves vinegar and sanding (maybe bleach - can't remember). At any rate, throw the old humidifiers out and don't put any of your sticks in the humidor until you've cleansed it.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭
    try it out. maybe a hint of vinegar in some water. stuff with dry newspaper. let it set for a few weeks, switching out the news paper every other day till the smell goes away then a week longer. then start from scratch.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321
    millennium115:
    Hey everyone, I bought a humi from a friend. He had two rectangular humidifiers(pieces). Its a 200 count humi. The problem is the two pieces are old, you can smell the slight mold from the pieces. Im getting two brand new pieces in the mail. Until then , what can I do to get the smell out. Assuming that the smell is embedded in the wood. Thanks guys.


    Firstly, junk the humidifiers if they are moldy.

    Next leave the humi with the lid open for a week to get rid of any residual mold smell, this is assuming you don't have an ambient room RH above 50% if you have a hygro leave it next to the open humi, leave the a/c running, you want to dry out the cedar inside and kill any possible mold.

    Then examine the inside tof the humi for any discoloration or more obvious signs of mold, if you are confident you have no mold you can proceed to re-condition (season) the humi for use. Otherwise, wipe the inside of the humi out with isopropyl alcohol, it has a high PH that will kill any mold and the alcohol will evaporate DO NOT use any other cleaners or solvents, unless your intention is to smoke stinky cigars.
    let dry again for another 3 to 5 days, recheck and retreat as above if necessary, then proceed with conditioning the humi for your stogies.


  • thank you guys, the old ones are in the garbage, the humi is being let to breathe, good news no mold , not thati can see....it smells better, just purchased beads...going to season the humi and start fresh. thanks again to everyone!!
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    I would still use something to completely get rid of the mold. In the forum it has been mentioned to use either a solution of vinegar or alcohol. I don't remember which. Search the forum for the thread. after doing that I would definitely use the 50/50 solution to humidify until I am ABSOLUTELY sure the mold is gone. The 50/50 solution helps prevent mold.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    kuzi16:
    try it out. maybe a hint of vinegar in some water. stuff with dry newspaper. let it set for a few weeks, switching out the news paper every other day till the smell goes away then a week longer. then start from scratch.
    +1 to Yoda's suggestion. The newspaper trick has seldom failed to get stench out of an enclosed area of any kind, and this worked GREAT on my travel humi.
Sign In or Register to comment.