Home General Discussion
Options

Honeymoon in Wine Country

My fiance and I are booking our honeymoon for October and I had some questions about wine country, specifically about cigars. We have some great BOTLs and BORKs here from CA and at least a few (looking at you Hays...) are familiar with the ins and outs of wine country so I'm polling the experts here.

So I know CA is notoriously hard on smokers, but we're going to be in SF, Napa and Healdsburg for grand total of two weeks and I wanted to get some insights on any cigar friendly places around there, if any. Not looking to make it a big part of the activities but if there's a place we could sit outside while I smoke we'd swing in there for sure. Anyone have a good recommendation?

I'd also like to stop at a B&M and get a couple higher end sticks to bring back and smoke at home (what better celebratory cigar than one you bought on your honeymoon!), so if you know of good B&Ms in any of those cities, please let me know.

Thanks in advance fellas!

Comments

• Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    BORKs. lol. I'm so glad this is catching on.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    LOL well thanks for the shoutout my friend...admittedly, I'm more familiiar with the wine countries more local to me (Auburn, Fair Play, Lodi, etc), but I've spent some time in the Napa/Sonoma regions. I know several of the wineries have outdoor seating, and it'd be worth calling and asking what their policies on smoking are - I can think of few better things than sitting with a glass of wine and fine cigar overlooking the beautiful vineyards of Napa.

As far as B&Ms go, I'm going to presume that you'll be coming into SF airport, which will give you an opportunity to pass a great shop in Marin County, directly off the freeway in Mill Valley. The website for this one is: www.telfordspipeandcigar.com.

Inside Napa, Baker Street seems like a pretty nice place, but I have no personal experience with it. Website for them is: www.bakerstreettime.com.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any other questions I can attempt to answer.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Thanks Hays, I appreciate the insights!

We'll probably end up stopping by both of those B&Ms for some overspending goodness. Hopefully there will be a winery (or brewery, I noticed at least one near Healdsburg square) that has outdoor seating and is stogie friendly. It'd be a bonus if it's one my fiance knows of and is interrested in, but she'd tolerate anything for me.

And Tat: Just trying to do my part ;)
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    If you are heading to Sonoma there are a few that i can tell ya are must sees .............. J Vineyards , Kendall Jackson ( where i proposed to my wife ) Ravenswood , Tattinger ,and Buena Vista ( one of the oldest vinyards in CA, they still have a cave tour where they used to store wine way back in the day) ... just my 2 cents ..... all are great deals .....and the food and wine painings at KJ and J are so worth it ... Hope this helps
  • Options
    paintmanpaintman Posts: 9
    I,ve lived in the wine country most of my 60 yrs. It's a beautiful place to live , but definately not smoke friendly. There aren't any b&m's worth anything north of Telfords, in Mill Valley(15 mins north of SF). Pretty sad. You could try the Coppola vinyard, Francis Ford Coppola is a fine director and produces his own lable cigars. Never tried them but, worth checking out.
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Coppola is a good one, I had forgotten about him putting out cigars as well. My fiance and I both like some of his wines so if it's stogie friendly this could be a definite.