Home General Discussion
Options

Interesting question about "cigar sickness"...

I'm sure we're all familiar with the concept of cigar sickness where you smoke too potent a cigar, get sick to your stomach and potentially hurl your dinner (or lack thereof) into the sink. I've noticed, however, than when smoking full cigars, regardless of having a full stomach or not, they tend to give me some stomach issues, but ones that present themselves wanting to come out the other direction if you catch my drift ;)

Anyone else the same way, or do I need to see a doc and make sure I'm eating and smoking through the proper end...

Comments

• Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    How often does that happen? Is it because you've been overeating before smoking the fuller ones or are you regular and tend to smoke around the same time every time? If it's every time you smoke full cigars no matter what, then I'd probably check with the doc. Maybe an adverse reaction to the ligero?

Or you could take the easy way out and ship them to me for proper destruction so that they don't bother you again :P
  • Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    It doesn't happen with any regularity. Sometimes when I eat alot, sometimes when I eat a little. And it's not with all full cigars, sometimes its not even with very full cigars. And it's not anything unusual coming out, it's just sometimes it makes me feel like I really need to go LOL.
  • Options
    It may be the tobacco. Send them to me to be inspected and "tested" lol.

But in all seriousness, is it recent or has this been going on a long time? Could be diarrhea or upset stomach if it's recent. If it continues for a while, you may wanna get it checked out to be safe. However, with the way a lot of people's finances are these days and the economy, I'd understand why you wouldn't. I know I wouldn't :P
  • Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    It's happened every once in awhile pretty much since I started smoking. I figure some cigars just don't agree with me that well. Today I had a Padilla 1932 after dinner and it definitely took its toll. Although it might just be from being after dinner? Who knows. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same experience?
  • Options
    No idea, man. Probably just because it's after dinner. I tend to smoke early afternoon, a few hours after lunch or before bed. Never had a problem where it would induce bowel movement. Though I think I read somewhere that nicotine tends to make fat break off from the body and go into the bloodstream? Not sure.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nicotine is a slight diuretic.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    kuzi16:
    nicotine is a slight diuretic.

Its pretty much the same as the way strong coffee makes people have to go. Happens to me farly often, no big deal at all.
  • Options
    Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    the speed in which i smoke drastically effects me. If I take my time, puff slowly, relax... I tend to be alot better off sickness wise.

I generally was smoking too fast, leading to some of my worst sickness.

Another thing i noticed is dont be afraid to chuck the cigar. I know this is sacrilege to the hardcores, but I gotta do what I gotta do. Once the cigar starts getting that harsh flavor from all the nicotine at the end, I'll put it out and forget. It has drastically cut down on the amount of times I get sicker from the stronger cigars in my collection. I've been told I leave way too much but what's the point in continuing to smoke if you'll get sick and not enjoy the amazing cigar you just smoked?
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Big T smokes:
    the speed in which i smoke drastically effects me. If I take my time, puff slowly, relax... I tend to be alot better off sickness wise.

I generally was smoking too fast, leading to some of my worst sickness.

Another thing i noticed is dont be afraid to chuck the cigar. I know this is sacrilege to the hardcores, but I gotta do what I gotta do. Once the cigar starts getting that harsh flavor from all the nicotine at the end, I'll put it out and forget. It has drastically cut down on the amount of times I get sicker from the stronger cigars in my collection. I've been told I leave way too much but what's the point in continuing to smoke if you'll get sick and not enjoy the amazing cigar you just smoked?
    I do the samething, once my cigar starts to taste bad, i will try to purge it...but if that doesn't work...then I'm done. no matter how much of the cigar is left...life is too short to waste it on smoking a bad tasting cigar (and getting sick from it)

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Lollllllllllllllll---this is a great question Pillow...BECAUSE, my buddy always busts my balls because seemingly all the time (of course its not that often, but we love poo humor) we will be smoking for 5-10 minutes...and sure enough....time to drop the brown kids off at the pool so to speak. I think its having a nice stick which causes a relaxed mood which causes the bowels to say a collective "ahhhh"...................Either that or we're both slowly dying.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    Lollllllllllllllll---this is a great question Pillow...BECAUSE, my buddy always busts my balls because seemingly all the time (of course its not that often, but we love poo humor) we will be smoking for 5-10 minutes...and sure enough....time to drop the brown kids off at the pool so to speak. I think its having a nice stick which causes a relaxed mood which causes the bowels to say a collective "ahhhh"...................Either that or we're both slowly dying.
    for about .005 seconds i thought you were gunna say "drop the Browns off at the Superbowl"

you were very close to making my day.

...thats the only way the browns are getting there.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    The other night I was smoking a LFD DL Chisel Maduro on my parents deck. The chair I was sitting on was deck furniture and, if you wanted it to, would kinda bounce just a little bit in a relaxing way. Unfortunately, with a cigar that strong, it just about made me hurl my dinner off the side of the deck. I realized the bouncing was a terrible idea near the end of the cigar and switched chairs - it was incredible - the sick feeling went away nearly immediately. This story would be so much funnier if I ended it with, "and then I crapped my pants" but that unfortunately didn't happen.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Vulchor:
    for about .005 seconds i thought you were gunna say "drop the Browns off at the Superbowl"

That is indeed the only way-----Lol, Ive never heard that one actually and may have to start using it. I always head the "Cosby kids off at the pool", but it was said too much when I was like 7. Browns at the Super Bowl-----sounds like something out of a Sci Fi film based in Akron, LOLLLLLL
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Vulchor:
    kuzi16:
    Vulchor:

That is indeed the only way-----Lol, Ive never heard that one actually and may have to start using it. I always head the "Cosby kids off at the pool", but it was said too much when I was like 7. Browns at the Super Bowl-----sounds like something out of a Sci Fi film based in Akron, LOLLLLLL

As a Bronco fan this made "my" day as we are responsible for cursing the Browns for the rest of eternity. A Sci Fi film lol.
  • Options
    Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    TatuajeVI:
    The other night I was smoking a LFD DL Chisel Maduro on my parents deck. The chair I was sitting on was deck furniture and, if you wanted it to, would kinda bounce just a little bit in a relaxing way. Unfortunately, with a cigar that strong, it just about made me hurl my dinner off the side of the deck. I realized the bouncing was a terrible idea near the end of the cigar and switched chairs - it was incredible - the sick feeling went away nearly immediately. This story would be so much funnier if I ended it with, "and then I crapped my pants" but that unfortunately didn't happen.
    I love that he says unfortunately about NOT crapping his pants lol.... thats a good egg right there.
  • Options
    coronaex30coronaex30 Posts: 35
    Yeah that was kinda gross huh, Unfortunately! Oh man funny stuff! Yeah it is a diuretic like someone said earlier.
  • Options
    coronaex30coronaex30 Posts: 35
    I have had that problem before with some various Sungrown wrapped cigars i have tried before, soooooo.....I just try to steer clear of those. I wouldn't want to smoke a cigar sitting on the CAN. But a c0-worker of mine was the other day and said it was 'Great'. I don't really know about that guy.
  • Options
    vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    To think i worry about a little heat stroke and a upset stomach. BUT crapping yourself.