Home General Discussion
Options

Another loss for cigar smokers (Oops. Jumped the gun on this)

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
Prince George’s County, Maryland - It is now illegal to walk into a B&M and buy a single cigar. You need to buy 5 or more cigars for the transaction to be legal. The explanation behind this new law is to discourage new smokers and limiting the amount of tobacco purchased by old smokers. EDIT: Yet another right taken away. (Wasn't paying attention the first time)

Comments

• Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    wwhwang:
    Prince George’s County, Maryland - It is now illegal to walk into a B&M and buy a single cigar. You need to buy 5 or more cigars for the transaction to be legal. The explanation behind this new law is to discourage new smokers and limiting the amount of tobacco purchased by old smokers. Yet another money grab.
    god I'm glad I'm getting out of New England.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    You sure about that? I think Gas stations are affected but not B&Ms... also there's no B&M in PG that I can think of.

• Options
    bobdbobd Posts: 71

These laws are absolutely stupid.  They are driving businesses out, at the same time that local governments wonder why they have no money in their budgets.

Enjoying a premium cigar is no different than enjoying a good wine.  Both alcohol and tobacco can be deadly if abused, moderation is key.  The government thinks that they can keep people from being stupid.  If someone is going to abuse a substance they are going to do it no matter what and that is their choice. 

• Options
    vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    WOW ! if this is true, I am so glad i live in las vegas where sin is sweet ! but on a serious note that is stupid. that doesnt limit you. if you could only buy one that would limit you. buying five promotes you to enjoy more.
  • Options
    That's what was announced. Unless I'm reading the map wrong, googlemap says there's at least two tobacco stores in the area.
  • Options
    vegassparky:
    WOW ! if this is true, I am so glad i live in las vegas where sin is sweet ! but on a serious note that is stupid. that doesnt limit you. if you could only buy one that would limit you. buying five promotes you to enjoy more.
    True, but if you're buying premium cigars at a local B&M, where cigars average 5 to 11 bucks per cigar, I dunno if a first timer would sink 25 to 55 bucks just to try stuff out.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Dude send me a link.
    And I'm pretty sure those tobacco shops are like cigarettes r' us... if it's what I'm thinking about.

• Options
    wwhwang:
    vegassparky:
    True, but if you're buying premium cigars at a local B&M, where cigars average 5 to 11 bucks per cigar, I dunno if a first timer would sink 25 to 55 bucks just to try stuff out.
    first timers are usually introduced by someone. most of the time! and a new guy to cigars shouldnt be dropping that kinda cash. they wouldnt have the palate or the experience to enjoy a higher end smoke.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    Dude send me a link.
    And I'm pretty sure those tobacco shops are like cigarettes r' us... if it's what I'm thinking about.

Just re-read both Barry's news at http://www.acigarsmoker.com/2010/07/17/cigar-news-the-week-in-review-7/ and the Washington Post. Looks like both he and I jumped the gun at this news, since Washington Post says that it'll be aimed at "cigarillo" and cheap, small cigars because kids tend to buy the cheap crap to hollow out and fill with weed (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/18/AR2008111803407.html).

However, when kids can't buy cheap cigarillos for blunts, guess what they'll be going after next?
  • Options
    wwhwang:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Dude send me a link.

Just re-read both Barry's news at http://www.acigarsmoker.com/2010/07/17/cigar-news-the-week-in-review-7/ and the Washington Post. Looks like both he and I jumped the gun at this news, since Washington Post says that it'll be aimed at "cigarillo" and cheap, small cigars because kids tend to buy the cheap crap to hollow out and fill with weed (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/18/AR2008111803407.html).

However, when kids can't buy cheap cigarillos for blunts, guess what they'll be going after next?
    i wouldnt worry. it easier to just go back to the pipe they started with or papers.
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    Maybe we should just crack down on our borders for drug control, beef up police and DEA and start doing some dam work making it a lot harder to get weed in America versus punishing everyone else
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    Maybe we should just crack down on our borders for drug control, beef up police and DEA and start doing some dam work making it a lot harder to get weed in America versus punishing everyone else
    Or just legalize it and regulate it like everything else. Billions in tax revenues just waiting to be had...
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    cholmes8310:
    wwhwang:
    Prince George’s County, Maryland - It is now illegal to walk into a B&M and buy a single cigar. You need to buy 5 or more cigars for the transaction to be legal. The explanation behind this new law is to discourage new smokers and limiting the amount of tobacco purchased by old smokers. Yet another money grab.

Takes a guy from the south to think MD is in New England...... HA

• Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    see I dont mind the legalizing of it...but with harsh punishments for minors under 21 with it...like, 20 years in jail kinda punishment ....or lose ur car for 5 years or something serious so kids arent encouraged....but then the argument comes, if u legalize weed, why not crack, meth, etc...?
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    cholmes8310:
    wwhwang:

Those border states might as well been yankee land to us. LOL
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    cholmes8310:
    wwhwang:

Clinton MA is one of the highest bars to population ratios. So sad not to know your N.E. states arkansas will welcome u with open arms!
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    cholmes8310:
    wwhwang:

It is. Anything north of VA and east of PA is NE to me.
  • Options
    cooch36:
    Fourtotheflush:
    cholmes8310:
    wwhwang:

Clinton MA is one of the highest bars to population ratios. So sad not to know your N.E. states arkansas will welcome u with open arms!
    No, I'm heading back to Mississippi. Arkansas is Mississippi's favorite state, because as long as there is Arkansas, Mississippi isn't last.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    see I dont mind the legalizing of it...but with harsh punishments for minors under 21 with it...like, 20 years in jail kinda punishment ....or lose ur car for 5 years or something serious so kids arent encouraged....but then the argument comes, if u legalize weed, why not crack, meth, etc...?
    Because a weed smoker won't kill somebody for weed? I agree with regulating it it would solve so many debt problems and create a way to get out of this recession.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Hayblet:
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    Because a weed smoker won't kill somebody for weed? I agree with regulating it it would solve so many debt problems and create a way to get out of this recession.
    Have I ever seen a violent drunk? Sure

Someone all tanked up on coke and twitchy, ready to snap? Sure.

A person who is stoned and violent? No. Usually in my experience it was smile at everything, three bags of Doritos, and a nap that was in store.image

Do I indulge anymore? No, not for over 20 years. But I still think MJ should be legalized. "Gateway" drug be damned. If that was the case, we would criminalize alcohol again; alcohol, which has destroyed more lives, both users and the victims, than any 3 other drugs combined, yet we sell it by the gallon.

Moderation in anything is the key...including moderation ;)

Now...back to Cigars!
  • Options
    TheDrifterTheDrifter Posts: 83
    stephen_hannibal:
    You sure about that? I think Gas stations are affected but not B&Ms... also there's no B&M in PG that I can think of.

New guy chiming in. Being from PG I'm almost positive it's B&M's are not effected, not that it matters since there are none as stated above! Everyone I know who smokes in the county goes to Anne Arundle to purchase. If there is a decent B&M I don't know if it.