Home General Discussion
Options

Good to have a reputation...

ljlljl Posts: 819
A couple of really cool things happened for me cigar wise this weekend. All because I have a reputation as a "cigar guy" where I work. First, one of my coworker's dads was in Costa Rica on business. He asked his dad to pick me up some cigars while there. At the bar on Friday night he hits me with the goods. While I don't know much about the brand the gesture still was great.

On Saturday I go golfing with a couple of the other guys from work. They usually enjoy a good smoke out on the course, so I brought my herfador. No need - these dudes totally set me up by supplying Tarano exodus silvers for the round. I think they'd been impressed with my selections previously - so they wanted to repay me! Apparently they asked the guy at the B&M for something "a regular cigar smoker" would enjoy. Naturally I couldn't just let them get away with it, so we all sat down for a beer and smoke (on me) after the round.

Sometimes having a reputation is a good thing!

Comments

• Options
    surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    Sounds like an awesome weekend :)
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    What did the co-worker's dad get you?
  • Options
    docbp87:

The brand is Tobacos Exclusivos, it's a 5 pack of Pantera size I'd say about 5.5 x 40. They look pretty good...
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    sweet, sounds like a great weekend

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Yea. Sometimes this hobby pays off..... My reputation at work goes both ways. I have some guys who think it's cool and want to ask questions or try cigars themselves. Then there's the ones who think it's weird and like to bust chops over it. Every once in a while I score a win. One guy I work with gave me a humidor that his ex-wife gifted him. He couldn't stand looking at it, cuz it reminded him of her. Lucky for me, cuz it's a very nice 150 ct humi! Brand new, never been used. Sweet. I pay him back by tossing a five pack his way every now and again......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    That's awesome Larry & Marty. It's starting to pay off for me too, I work in radio and some of my record folks have started bringing me cigars when they stop by, not only that but my local B&M started sponsoring a podcast I've just started doing and they give me cigars to review.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    It can pay off, a vendor stopped by to see me last week with a fat Montecristo for me. I gladly accepted.
  • Options
    CanadianCanadian Posts: 54
    I certainly concur. A while back a friend asked me if his cigars that his buddy gave him from CUBA (remember I'm in Canada) were ok after being in a ziploc bag for a year.......oh no! He pulled out these massive cohibas and R&Js and gave em to me. I thought, well it can't hurt to nurse these bad boys to health. Eight months later and a slow rising of humidity level and they smoke beautifully.
  • Options
    Canadian:
    I certainly concur. A while back a friend asked me if his cigars that his buddy gave him from CUBA (remember I'm in Canada) were ok after being in a ziploc bag for a year.......oh no! He pulled out these massive cohibas and R&Js and gave em to me. I thought, well it can't hurt to nurse these bad boys to health. Eight months later and a slow rising of humidity level and they smoke beautifully.

That's a great story right there. Glad to see some others are having the same experience. Those exodus that I had on the course were excellent BTW.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    ljl:
    docbp87:

The brand is Tobacos Exclusivos, it's a 5 pack of Pantera size I'd say about 5.5 x 40. They look pretty good...

If these are from Quepos, Costa Rica I have been in that shop!
    they roll Isom cigars in that shop from Isom tobacco, but they roll them in Costa Rica so they are Costa Rican cigars.

I only picked up about a dozen on my honeymoon, but they were great! Looking back, I wish I bought 2 boxes.

• Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    ljl:
    docbp87:

If these are from Quepos, Costa Rica I have been in that shop!
    they roll Isom cigars in that shop from Isom tobacco, but they roll them in Costa Rica so they are Costa Rican cigars.

I only picked up about a dozen on my honeymoon, but they were great! Looking back, I wish I bought 2 boxes.

Tx for the info, somehow I knew someone here would know something about them!