Home General Discussion
Options

best/longest lasting cutter you could buy

So I had a cigarfest2010 one for like 2 days, but messed up sticks, so they replaced with a man o war ruination cutter which is awesome, but after 2 months now, it seems its getting maybe dull but its been messing up sticks ---note: I cut every stick the same way and it just started messing them up)....

So which cutter out there is worth the money(or the cheapest but best) to buy...I have those plastic 2 dollar ones which work awesome...Am i crazy just to stick with those and just replaced it every month with a new one? I mean it is hella cheap

Comments

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I've had my Xikar Xi2 for a few months now and it works great. Plus their customer service is great and it comes with a lifetime warranty. I've heard Palio also make good cutters.
  • Options
    I use a Swiss Army Knife with cigar scissors, like the link below. I bought it about 7 years ago on ebay. Not only is it easier to use than a regular cutter, but after 7 years it's still razor sharp. http://www.amazon.com/Wenger-16881-Implement-Ergonomic-Stainless/dp/B0018HWCHS
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Cuban Crafters Perfect Cut cutter with a lifetime warranty, even against dullness.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    My only cutter is the cheap 9 dollar CCom cutter lol. It works well, but I think it's getting a bit dull.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    Cuban Crafters Perfect Cut cutter with a lifetime warranty, even against dullness.
    Been wanting one of those but keep blowing my money on DD's
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    xikar xi2. Just go ahead and pony up the $30. I've had mine a year, and it still cuts fine. Plus, lifetime warranty, no questions asked, and you can take it back to any authorized xikar dealer if it breaks or gets dull.
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    i was thinking of a xikar cuz if it gets dull after a few months just take it in and exchange it and bamo...loll..but those cuban cutters look nice to...so many choices..so little money lol
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    i was thinking of a xikar cuz if it gets dull after a few months just take it in and exchange it and bamo...loll..but those cuban cutters look nice to...so many choices..so little money lol
    not knocking anyones choices, just my experience here. I bought a cuban crafters originally, almost identical to the one above, but I exchanged it because it was binding. Probably just a defective one, and they took it back and offered me another or to exchange for the xikar, so I went with the xikar. I did like the set depth on the cuban crafters one though. Makes it where even when I've had a few too many bourbons I can't cut too much, haha.

anyways, been happy ever since, and my xi2 was only $5 more than the cc. Different strokes for different folks though. I know a lot of guys swear by Palio as well, and they look like good cutters from what I've seen.
  • Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    xikar for sure
  • Options
    chrisd56chrisd56 Posts: 77
    Zino Davidoff Guilltine Cigar Cutter, have had it for over 8 years and still razor sharp!!!
  • Options
    JumperJumper Posts: 135
    I just bought a Lotus double blade cutter. Anyone know anything about those?
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I have a few cutters that are awesome. I just got a Palio yesterday in the mail though, and it is phenomenal. I have never had such a smooth, perfectly straight cut.

I also have a Nat Sherman by Tsuge cutter that is awesome. Some non-sense about the blades being tempered and layered like katana blades, but regardless of how true that is, it has been an awesome cutter. It also cuts top to bottom, instead of side to side, using an interesting mechanism. Not sure if it really has any advantages, but like I said, works great:

I also have the MOW Ruination cutter by Colibri. It's a hefty piece, but isn't as sharp or smooth as I would like, and after a few months of normal use it is starting to feel like the parts are getting loose.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I have 2 Xikars. the Xi2 and an Xi3 Redwood. Can't go wrong with lifetime warrantee. Worth every penny to get that good cut on sticks that are worth...well, in my case, sometimes up to 5 times what I paid for the cutter. I wouldn't mess with any of those cigars with any other cutter!

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    chrisd56:
    Zino Davidoff Guilltine Cigar Cutter, have had it for over 8 years and still razor sharp!!!
    guy at my local B&M said hed sell me one for $200. (thats a very good price for that for those who dont know)
    i pulled out my Xikar and said i was happy with what i already had.

im a total Xikar ****.
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Xikar are good, for sure. I am sure there are other good ones out there too. That said, IMO nothing is better than Palio cutters. Palio's warranty is against everything except loss and you just have to take it to a dealer for an instant exchange if there is a problem. I know many Xikar dealers have the same policy, but that is NOT their official warranty policy, so a dealer does not have to exchange for you and if you only have one cutter it is nice not to have to risk being without it. This is relevant to me as I only have one cigar lighter. it is a Xikar and unfortunately has developed a problem. I am holding onto it until it craps out because I can't get it exchanged anywhere local, thus I will be without it for at least a week when I finally have to send it in.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    +1 on the Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter. $20. Lifetime guarantee. Perfect cut every time. 'Nuff said.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    chrisd56chrisd56 Posts: 77
    No...i have the $50 Zino....i could never bring myself to pay $200-300 for a cutter, i would rater spend the money on some smokes!!!
  • Options
    tkohlertkohler Posts: 70
    I got a xikar xi3 about a month or so ago, and i'm just not very impressed with it. It doesn't cut my sicks straight at all, so now it just sits in the drawer. I've got a cheapie I got 4 years ago, just a $20 all metal double blade that works awesome. I have however moved mostly to punch cutting, as my lighter has a punch on it and its one less thing I need to carry with me.
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    tkohler:
    I got a xikar xi3 about a month or so ago, and i'm just not very impressed with it. It doesn't cut my sicks straight at all, so now it just sits in the drawer. I've got a cheapie I got 4 years ago, just a $20 all metal double blade that works awesome. I have however moved mostly to punch cutting, as my lighter has a punch on it and its one less thing I need to carry with me.

I have a buddy with a xi3 - same problem. Because of the gap - it was actually "grabbing" a bit of the cigar and pulling out a chunk. He did send it back and got a new one that works great. I'll stick to my xi2, which has been unreal so far. The first time I cut with it (after switching from my George Burns signature!) I actually thought I missed or something. Super sharp, super smooth.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I've got a Xi2 and it's still sharp as hell after about a year of use. Lifetime warranty. Good stuff. Now I bought their bullet cutter on the strength of the Xi2, and I don't like it. It came dull and has damaged almost any stick I've used it on. I suppose I should send it in and see what the vaunted Xikar customer service is like first hand.
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I have had an Xi2 for about a year, and it cut good but never great. I never really used a great cutter though I guess, cause I didn't know it didn't cut great till I got the Xikar Slim cutter, which cuts like a dream. Going to send back my Xi2 and see if I can get it resharpened.

I think that the reason why the slim works so good and the cheapies at the start is that some of the Xi's have issues is the thickness of the metal. Its easier to get a razor sharp edge on a thin peice of metal than on a thick one. It may not last as long on a thin blade, but it will slice easier. Those thick blades probably need some real personal attention to get right, and when you have a lifetime warranty.....might as make the customer force you to get it right, make them feel good about how nice you are on customer service, and save some money on production.

"If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will." -Tommy Boy

My buddy has a Palio, and he is about as satisfied with it as I am with my Xi2. Its opening mechacnism gets stucks and then it actually slides out of the cutting track, even though it cuts good. Maybe we'll both send ours back togethor and see who gets it back first. Customer Service race!
  • Options
    fatt1974fatt1974 Posts: 7
    Am I the only one that punches everything except for torpedos?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    fatt1974:
    Am I the only one that punches everything except for torpedos?
    im the same but i have a Xikar for all torps. i have a Xikar punch too.

i just like the punch cut way better. it feels "cleaner" to me

...all personal preference.
  • Options
    taddowtaddow Posts: 51
    I am definately a Xikar fan. It cuts great and when I sent it in to be fixed after it broke I was sent a new one no questions asked.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xikar! Check out my behind the scenes look at them on http://www.thecigarnut.com/xikar-a-behind-the-scenes/ . I got to visit them a few weeks ago and thought they were a huge outfit. Turns out the are more like a small business with a very personal touch. When you send your stuff in to get repaired they note what was wrong with it and work to improve the product. They have less than 2% of their products returned for repair or defects. I know a few people that gripe about Xikar and these are the same people who throw their cutter in a drawer and do not take advantage of the lifetime warranty. You have nothing to cry about if you do not take advantage of their warranty. If your blade is dull the lifetime warranty covers sharpening. Not to mention they donate a box of stuff to the troops every month.

I have a Xikar Spectra and it cuts cigars like butter. I won't use a cheap cutter on my cigars ever again. I am glad I made the investment and it was well worth it. Xikar also has some amazing new stuff coming out this year which I briefly describe in my article.
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Palio will get it back first, as you don't need to send it in, per their warranty http://www.paliocutter.com/warranty.htm ;)
    ironhorse:
    I have had an Xi2 for about a year, and it cut good but never great. I never really used a great cutter though I guess, cause I didn't know it didn't cut great till I got the Xikar Slim cutter, which cuts like a dream. Going to send back my Xi2 and see if I can get it resharpened.

I think that the reason why the slim works so good and the cheapies at the start is that some of the Xi's have issues is the thickness of the metal. Its easier to get a razor sharp edge on a thin peice of metal than on a thick one. It may not last as long on a thin blade, but it will slice easier. Those thick blades probably need some real personal attention to get right, and when you have a lifetime warranty.....might as make the customer force you to get it right, make them feel good about how nice you are on customer service, and save some money on production.

"If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will." -Tommy Boy

My buddy has a Palio, and he is about as satisfied with it as I am with my Xi2. Its opening mechacnism gets stucks and then it actually slides out of the cutting track, even though it cuts good. Maybe we'll both send ours back togethor and see who gets it back first. Customer Service race!