Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigars in Iraq

I really want to send my hubs a couple boxes of cigars. His favorite Vegas Gold, and the new Gold Maduros. Should I send one at a time or will it be okay to send both? He has one humidor in Iraq that holds 20 cigars. I was going to have cigar.com just send all of the cigars there so I don't have to pay for shipping twice (I will have to send separately from each other from here to Iraq), but do you think that the storing in the desert in the packaging that cigar.com send it in will be too harsh and therefor make it worthless to send them all at once?
Should I send them all from cigar.com or should I have them shipped to me and send one now and one later?

Comments

• Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    If his humidor only holds 20 cigars I would send one now and one later. Each box is 20 cigars. I would buy one now and then one later. Not at the same time if his humidor cant hold both.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Thats what I was thinking. Hope he gets home safe.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    I'd call Ccom and see what they can do. They might throw in a 20 count if you are buying two boxes, or they might split the boxes so he gets half of each. That way he gets a selection.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    rossdavey2:
    I'd call Ccom and see what they can do. They might throw in a 20 count if you are buying two boxes, or they might split the boxes so he gets half of each. That way he gets a selection.
    ^this! But like said before only send what he has room for. Best of luck to you and him.
  • Options
    MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    It depends on two things.

1. If he has some control over the temperature in which any cigars stored outside of the humidor 'temporarily' then provided they are shipped with humidified packaging they should be okay, ie. in a stable enough environment to not spoil until he is ready to put them in the humidor.

2. Depending on how fast he smokes them, if he smokes two a day so would be through a box in 10 days the cigars stored in #1 above could be gradually moved into the humi as he depletes the ones he is smoking and he should be able to rotate and control them to make sure they are better aclimated to smoking by the time he gets to them.

If he is not going through them very fast you might want to considered sending him some 5 packs instead of one or to boxes and do it on a more frequent basis.

There was a servicemen in Iraq (i think) that posted a thread about using an ammocanador!! Which, I guess is basically an ammo can converted to be a humidor, if this is an option you may still be okay with the two boxes.

As an after thought you might want to check with ccom about the humidified shipping, I have mostly purchased packages and specials from here and they usually (but not always) come in ziploc type baggies with a humi pillow to keep them humidified. But on the couple of occassions I have purchased full boxes, I think (and I may be wrong!!!) that ccom followed the policy of other merchants and ship unhumidified, since the boxes themselves offer a little protection from drying out and also are usually shink wrapped.

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Jeff Jackson organizes some sort of charity sticks for troops thing. I would call Ccom and ask him what he recommends!
  • Options
    Thanks for the idea! I will call them on Monday.
  • Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Where in Iraq is your husband?  I am also in Iraq and probably have the exact same humidor he bought at the BX.  Although I'm not an expert, I've learned a lot from these forums just "skimming" through the postings and through trial and error over here.  All of the suggestions that everybody has offered are good...I have my wife send me about 5-10 cigars every two weeks and it helps somewhat.  I also had her send me a Xikar crystal clear humidifier which works great.  Initially, I made the mistake of buying about 30-45 cigars all at once and had them sent here with no way to maintain them and ended up buying 10 humidor bags at the BX.  Trying to avoid that from happening again :)
  • Options
    SgtRickSgtRick Posts: 75
    I am in Baghdad and bought a humi while here. It is still seasoning right now so my cigars are in a Rubbermaid container I bought at the PX. It has worked great for the time being. I have several humi tubes and pillows in it as well as a hygrometer. It stays around 70 degrees and 68rh most of the time.
  • Options
    He's at Balad right now. He actually has a humidor that he'd gotten from cigars I gave him last year that I'd ordered off here.
  • Options
    CanadianCanadian Posts: 54
    Definitely ask to speak to Jeff Jackson. Jeff takes care of us International customers like a champ and we are not serving his country so I am certain he will help you in any way possible.
  • Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭

wranedrops:
    He's at Balad right now. He actually has a humidor that he'd gotten from cigars I gave him last year that I'd ordered off here.

that's insane, I'm also at balad right now...I wonder if your husband is apart of the local cigar group on base?

• Options

that's insane, I'm also at balad right now...I wonder if your husband is apart of the local cigar group on base?

I doubt it, but I'll let him know. He's with 25th ID 2nd Brigade and he's barely getting time off. Maybe when things settle down a bit more.
    I tried to call Jeff and he was on vacation, so I called again after he got back and they said he'd left for the day. He was supposed to call me back and he didn't. I give up!

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Shoot him an email - Ccom is pretty good about getting back in a day or so
  • Options
    What's his email? Any chance it's jeffjackson@cigar.com?
  • Options
    Yeah, okay I found the generic email service@cigar.com
    Duh email... why didn't I think of that?!
    Thanks. I need to get this done because my hubster's birthday is in just under 3 weeks!
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Good luck; thank you again for his service