Home Cigar 101
Options

Temp Issues in humidor.

Ok. Gentleman I have a problem with the temps in my humidor. I do not have AC. I have a coolidor that I am keeping away from direct sunlight but the temperatures are constantly in the high 70's with the ocassional jump to the 80's. I have tried making ice out of distilled water and putting it in there. It temporarily brings down the temperature but only a small amount and brings the humidity sky high. I put it in a plastick zip lock then freeze. Then into a tupperware container and into the humi. I noticed that it was condensing moisture directly onto the box below it. I am at a loss. The only thing I could think of to try is dry ice but I have no idea how that would affect the humidity lvls let alone wether or not it is safe like distilled water. I am open to any suggestions at this point because I am at a loss. Thanks alot.

Comments

• Options
    The only solution is buying a portable AC unit...or a window mounted unit (if your humidor is in a bedroom with a window). There are times where you cant do anything about high temperatures....just keep your humidity below 70 if your temps are in the high 70 to low 80's.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Yea man, I'm in Houston and it gets hot here as well. During the night and morning, my temp is at 70-71, but when I come home from work, its at like 75-77. My RH is always 65-68 though, so I'm ok. I do check my stogies if any are cracking or anything, so far so good after 6 months.

I'm just glad the temp does not go over 80 at any time and have never seen it that high, but when I do, I'm gonna worry then.
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    What i did with my Winadoor was I went to Raleys, and they have those freezing blocks that look like a blue plastic container...i freeze it, and i wrap a terrycloth towel around it and set in bottom of humi and it can bring the temp from 80-70 within a hour and hold there pretty much all day...its perfect for it and they come in numerous sizes.
  • Options
    vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    i have a floor fan that runs all day blowing air over my humi. i keep my a/c at 78. if i went any lower the power bill would kill me. with the fan on the humi,it stays around 73 degrees with 69 to70% RH.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I will have to try those out.