Home Cigar 101
Options

new digital Hygrometer... calibration question

So... i purchased a new digital hygrometer, and it arrived in the mail today. I had planned on putting it through the salt test, but in the paperwork that came with it, it specifically says do not do the salt test, that it will void the warranty and that it was calibrated at the factory to be within 1% of the actual humidity. If anyone knows if this is pure BS or not let me know. It's a Caliber 3 hygrometer.

Comments

• Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    I dont think you really need to salt test a digital hygrometer. They are usually pretty spot on.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    JSaint:
    I dont think you really need to salt test a digital hygrometer. They are usually pretty spot on.
    Going with my own experience here, I have to say that's just not true. It may be close, but I've only had one out of five or six be within 1-3%.

Now, if you want to calibrate it without voiding the warranty, all you have to do is pick up a Boveda calibration kit, they work great and are easy breezy.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    JSaint:
    Going with my own experience here, I have to say that's just not true. It may be close, but I've only had one out of five or six be within 1-3%.

Now, if you want to calibrate it without voiding the warranty, all you have to do is pick up a Boveda calibration kit, they work great and are easy breezy.
    well mines spot on =p.
  • Options
    interpiminterpim Posts: 146
    The website I bought it from is even saying the Boveda kit will void the warranty
  • Options
    JSaint:
    j0z3r:
    JSaint:

well mines spot on =p.
    Wink [;)]
  • Options
    interpim:
    The website I bought it from is even saying the Boveda kit will void the warranty
    That has to be bs then bro
  • Options
    interpim:
    I think they just don't want you to find out how inaccurate the thing is. I don't know what the deal is, but it sounds fishy. If it were me, I'd calibrate it and say screw the warranty.
  • Options
    vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    I would rather loose a stupid warranty , than my cigars to being cheep. calibrate it, for peice of mind. forget the warranty.
  • Options
    well... I have an analog that is pretty spot on that is reading about the same as the digital hygrometer and the temperature is accurate as well... I'm using about 2x the amount of 65% beads recommended and I'm currently showing 71 degrees, 66%.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    interpim:
    well... I have an analog that is pretty spot on that is reading about the same as the digital hygrometer and the temperature is accurate as well... I'm using about 2x the amount of 65% beads recommended and I'm currently showing 71 degrees, 66%.
    I'd still calibrate it, man. Any warranty that forbids calibrating is BS anyway.
  • Options
    vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    interpim:
    sounds like your doing good
  • Options
    sumixamsumixam Posts: 23
    how would they know you calibrated it using the salt test/boveda packs? I'm not saying, i'm just saying....
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    sumixam:
    how would they know you calibrated it using the salt test/boveda packs? I'm not saying, i'm just saying....
    True. There's no way to honestly say "HEY! You did the salt test!" unless you spilled the salt and water all over the hygrometers.
  • Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Well, how would you know it was off without testing it? I'm sure they'd ask what's wrong when you try to return it ;)
  • Options
    wwhwang:
    sumixam:
    True. There's no way to honestly say "HEY! You did the salt test!" unless you spilled the salt and water all over the hygrometers.
    I suppose the salt test could potentially be corrosive to the metallic parts inside, that's the only way I can think of that they would be able to tell. And unless the Boveda packs operate the same way, I don't know how they would know if you were to use one. Sounds like a lot of BS to me.
  • Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    My guss is that the warrenty is not worth the paper it is written on anyway.
  • Options
    I assume its an adjustable hygrometer? I have 3 digitals and all are spot on...within the manufacture's accuracy readings of 1/3+ - %.
  • Options
    No, it isn't adjustable... only buttons for seeing the high/low temp and humidity, and reset.
  • Options
    interpim:
    No, it isn't adjustable... only buttons for seeing the high/low temp and humidity, and reset.
    In that case...since it is not adjustable...just to the salt test and write down what % the unit is off by. 75% during salt test...and it reads 72....just remember to add 3% to the current reading and vise versa for above 75% reading during salt test.
  • Options
    SgtRickSgtRick Posts: 75
    Why are you worried about the warrenty on a 20 dollar item? Your cigars are worth more than that. Do the test and let us know the outcome.
  • Options
    Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    I did the salt test in my Caliber III... right on the money. As was the case with two of my friends who recommended this hygrometer to me. Very nice piece of equipment I plan on getting more of them.
  • Options
    SgtRickSgtRick Posts: 75
    See, dont you feel better? I have a couple of the Caliber III's and 2 more ordered. Best out there IMO.
  • Options
    MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    mrpillow:
    Well, how would you know it was off without testing it? I'm sure they'd ask what's wrong when you try to return it ;)

Rather than do the salt test, I'll placed a recently calibrated hygo in the humi with the one I want to test. If you can do that you can state "it doesn't read the same as my calibrated reference hygrometer!"