Home Cigar 101
Options

black spots

Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
I busted out a "5 Vegas Classic" and I noticed some black spots on it, especially aroudn the veins. Not alot but enough to notice. what is this?? I took a pic but my camera sucks and you really cant see the spots.

Comments

• Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    If they aren't on any others i would not worry about it. Just smoke it.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    what about green spots? Out of all the cigars I have, there are like 2 cigars with a small green on there, one is a MoW virtue. Any worry?
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Are they 3D and can you wipe it off? If so, it might be mold.
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    usually a green spot is a harmless bit of unfermented tobacco. I see a green spot on the wrapper every now and again. Especially visible on a conny. But so long as its not fuzzy, its fine.
  • Options
    bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    Send it to me for acloser look!
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    zeebra:
    what about green spots? Out of all the cigars I have, there are like 2 cigars with a small green on there, one is a MoW virtue. Any worry?
    Like ironhorse said, it's likely just a small patch of unfermented tobacco.

There are several ways to age tobacco - "cooking" it, that is, heating it up, is a cheap way to cure it and usually results in a lousy cigar, so it's very much frowned upon in the industry (most premium tobacco is cured naturally/slowly)

But there's a second phase to it - once the tobacco is properly cured, some of the wrapper may be miscolored or have splotches of odd coloring - this is totally natural and has no real effect on the cigar at all. A lot of cigar manuf then lightly cook the wrapper so the entire thing is uniform in color (this is a generally accepted practice; it's purely to make the cigar more aesthetically pleasing). AJ Fernandez, however, doesn't do this - he leaves his wrappers splotches as they are and doesn't cook them to make them uniform in color (hence why your MOW Virtue has green spots)
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    zeebra:
    Those are waterspots. They are caused when water droplets condense on the tobacco leaf while it is growing. The water blocks/filters the sunlight, resulting in the discoloration on the leaf.