Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

La Reloba Sumatra

betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
My Father Cigar Company came out with the La Reloba in a habano and sumatra rendition. Smoked the sumatra (have some habanos I will smoke as well) but I am incredibly pleased with this one. MSRP 5.60, this stick has a boat load of flavor. Lots of black pepper, coffee, vanilla... it really changed a lot, and was more like a three course meal then a single set of flavors. Burned like a dream as well. Anyone have any thoughts, or any ideas on the habano? Full review and pictures and such up on my site.

Comments

• Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    yum, sounds delicious! I haven't seen these around, but with that retail price I'll definitely have to find a couple. Thanks for the review!
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Nice review. My guy at the B&M compared them to the Ambos Mundos so I thought I'll give both wrappers a shot. I tried the habano a few weeks ago and I found it to be a mediocre smoke. The overall flavors were really dusty and it was a little harsh. To be fair, I've only had one so I'll probably smoke a few more to make sure mine wasn't a bum stick.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    betasynn:
    I am incredibly pleased with this one. MSRP 5.60, this stick has a boat load of flavor. Lots of black pepper, coffee, vanilla... it really changed a lot, and was more like a three course meal then a single set of flavors.
    I picked up a few coronas of each and had the Sumatra this afternoon... and I agree with the 3 course meal description for sure... it was big on pepper to start... then got more hearty and thick in the middle... then the last third had some very sweet notes... final third reminded me of a really good oatmeal cookie... I really enjoyed it... It was a really enjoyable smoke and when you consider the price, it's pretty amazing (the corona's are $4.50 here on Ccom)

I'll fire up the Habano tomorrow to compare... I might smoke one tonight if the giants game ends at a decent hour...

• Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I just got some last night from a My Father Event now I need to try one.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    The Seleccion Mexico is my favorite personally.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    docbp87:
    The Seleccion Mexico is my favorite personally.
    Bought a box yesterday, the San Andreas wrapper is fantastic.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Love the review, I'm gonna have to try this. I love me some Sumatra's. I will have to try the San Andreas one as well. The few sticks I've had with that wrapper are excellent
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Anyone else pick up the DD yesterday, the La Reloba and Puro Authentico?
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I can't see these on the menu page. Anyone got a link for me?
  • Options
    laker1963:
    http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=906
  • Options
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=906
    Thanks Maddy. I see they just went with La Reloba. I was looking for it with the My Father sticks. Looks like an addition to the next order. Gotta love the price point for a Pepin stick.
  • Options
    Yea I hadn't heard of them until the Daily Deal yesterday. Hopefully its better than the last medium bodied DPG attempt that I tried, La Sirena.

I really believe Jaime is a better medium body blender than DPG. So lets hope that the La Reloba is a Jaime Garcia creation.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Yea I hadn't heard of them until the Daily Deal yesterday. Hopefully its better than the last medium bodied DPG attempt that I tried, La Sirena.

I really believe Jaime is a better medium body blender than DPG. So lets hope that the La Reloba is a Jaime Garcia creation.
    I agree fully Maddy. I find a DPG stick is either a hit with me or it misses the mark completely. Love 'em or hate 'em it seems.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    madurofan:

I agree fully Maddy. I find a DPG stick is either a hit with me or it misses the mark completely. Love 'em or hate 'em it seems.
    I'm noticing more stuff out there by DPG and company. I continue to clasp my hands tightly together at night and pray that he doesn't look at Rocky as a successful business model.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    madurofan:

I'm noticing more stuff out there by DPG and company. I continue to clasp my hands tightly together at night and pray that he doesn't look at Rocky as a successful business model.
    I know. What's with that anyway. I would think a business model where what you put out is considered fantstic would be the way to go. All these makers trying to have the most number of sticks out there is not the way to go IMO.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    madurofan:

I know. What's with that anyway. I would think a business model where what you put out is considered fantstic would be the way to go. All these makers trying to have the most number of sticks out there is not the way to go IMO.
    I'm not going to pretend I know whats profitable in the tobacco business. I just know what annoys me, lol