Home Non Cigar Related
Options

French Press Coffee

I know that there are alot of coffee drinkers here and was wondering how many of you use a French Press? I was thinking about picking one up and wanted to ask if there was anything I should look for in getting one.

Comments

• Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    I bought a french press at ikea for like 4 bucks...best dam thing ever! lol
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I do. Not all the time but weekends, mostly. I just use a simple Bodum.My only suggestion would be to go for a size that you will drink quickly, as you really want to drink the pot within about 2o minutes or so of brewing, so if it is just you, a smaller pot and a larger one for more people.

Also, if you don't have a conical burr grinder, you want to get one, as you want a coarse grinder for press coffee. A blade type grinder relys on the length of time to determine average particle size, but some are still small and some are big. Conical bur you control the spacing of the burrs and get a uniform size that won't clog or get through the screen in your press.

As for the water, you want hot, but just short of boiling, for best flavor

Enjoy ;)
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    The ONLY way to make great coffee.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Still my favorite cup of coffee. Once you go with it, you'll turn your nose up to most quick brewing methods for a while.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    The ONLY way to make great coffee.
    +1 amazing coffee I asked for one last Christmas, best thing ever
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    When I'm making more than a single cup or two at a time. Otherwise I'm using my gee-whiz ubertechno Saeco automated self cleaning espresso machine.
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    the french press makes the best fuggin' cup of coffee. ever.
  • Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    The best cup of joe ever. Pain in the as to clean though.
  • Options
    jship079:
    The grounds are excellent in the compost, or sprinkled in garden areas. ... good source of nutrients for acid loving plants
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    jship079:
    Not saying you don't have the right grind, but I have discovered that a proper coarse grind mitigates the lion's share of people's cleaning issues.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    jship079:
    The grounds are excellent in the compost, or sprinkled in garden areas. ... good source of nutrients for acid loving plants
    thats legal in canada.... right?
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Mmmm. Cuppa French press made by a French maid. Tasty.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    jship079:
    No we kind of practice a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy on coffee grounds Kuz.

You know about acid loving plants do you ? LMAO
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    jship079:

the first rule about coffee grounds....

but seriously, my roses love em.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    jship079:

the first rule about coffee grounds....

but seriously, my roses love em.
    Yes they would, I was reading recently about how they can also be sprinkled around plants and in gardens to stop cat's from using them as bathroom sites. If you combine some coffee grounds along with some orange peels (dry them up and grind them) and add this to your garden spot ... the cats will choose somewhere else to go.

Rhododendrums love the coffee grounds as well.