Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

5 Vegas Gold Maduro

I just tried one that had a little over a week of rest. It was the brick vitola. It had a good draw and started out fairly tasty. The burn was pretty uneven for the first half but much to my surprise it evened out in the second half. I wasn't taking notes and my palette isn't too great tonight but flavor wise it started better than it ended and I'll just say I am really interested to revisit this one in another few months to a year. Also, when I cut it I could tell it was still pretty moist from the factory as it was a bit mushy instead of a crisp feeling cut. It seems to have promise though for a milder bodied maduro.

Comments

• Options
    Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    I liked this one alot. Very nice smoke.
  • Options
    coachjamiecoachjamie Posts: 337
    Well I have now had 2 of these. I had one ROTT and one with a week rest. I have also handed a couple of these out to friends and sent 2 off in packages. I have not heard from the ones I sent them to in the packages yet tho. But the both the ones I have had have been really good! I bought the Belicoso (Torpedo) size. I have had and seen from the couple I handed out nothing but a nice even burn. It seemed to me to have a very consistent flavor throughout the entire stick. Idk, I enjoy them and will definitely keep some in my humi at all times.
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    I had one ROTT too, pretty good even then. Seems to be a creamier maduro. I feel like these will be great in about 3 or 4 months. Great smoke output just like the 5v gold.
  • Options
    I had one ROTT last night and while I thought the flavor was good, it was too bitter for my liking. I have a strong feeling that it just needs lots of rest. I will try the other one I purchased in a few months and see how it goes. Anyone else feel that there is a bitterness too or am I insane?
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Haven't had this yet... I sent and email to The Beard to see about a 5 pack... hopefully he comes through and I can fire one up later this week
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    xIcedGuardianx:
    I had one ROTT last night and while I thought the flavor was good, it was too bitter for my liking. I have a strong feeling that it just needs lots of rest. I will try the other one I purchased in a few months and see how it goes. Anyone else feel that there is a bitterness too or am I insane?
    I would agree. To me it just seems like they need rest. I'll try another in a few months as well.
  • Options
    vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    I had draw issues on my first one. but i got 3 more to really make up my mind.
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Smoked the corona Sat. night. It had about a week of age on it. Not bad flavor, a couple burn issues though, but I'm chalkn that up to them being so fresh. Over all I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    xIcedGuardianx:
    The one I tried had some really bold flavors for the first half-inch that settled down afterwards; these could use some rest, but they got some good potential
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Just had the Torpedo and I have to say it was really good.
    Once it settles and the burn issues are taken care of, this thing will be a real winner.

• Options
    GentlemanGentleman Posts: 152
    Had one of these tonight. The 5 Vegas gold didn't really appeal to me but the maduro was really nice. One thing I have to note is the construction was lacking. My cigar had a curve to it and the wrapper was loose like someone rushed it. I've seen Clint Eastwood smoke some crazy looking cigars so I no longer worry too much about construction anymore :P I'll probably pick up a box of these next time I can afford some more sticks
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    You know, I liked it, but it didn't blow me away. Some amazing almond flavors in the second third, and decent flavor throughout, but the burn and some strange char tastes threw me off toward the end. You are correct, does seem a little wet, I'll give it a try down the line. I did do a full write-up on my website, and The Smoking Squirrel returned (without a cigarette this time.)
  • Options
    Gentleman:
    Had one of these tonight. The 5 Vegas gold didn't really appeal to me but the maduro was really nice. One thing I have to note is the construction was lacking. My cigar had a curve to it and the wrapper was loose like someone rushed it. I've seen Clint Eastwood smoke some crazy looking cigars so I no longer worry too much about construction anymore :P I'll probably pick up a box of these next time I can afford some more sticks
    Totally agree Gentleman, don't dig the regular 5 Vegas Gold, but the maduro was fantastic, I loved it. I need to buy more. Thanks to coachjamie for letting me try this one.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I tried my first Gold Maduro toro about a week ago and it was the most vile, disgusting cigar I've ever smoke. I made it about 3/4 inch in and was done with it. I'm not kidding or exaggerating, it was horrid. Fast forward a few days and I got ten of the Churchills, tried one and it was about three steps below fantastic, very nice flavor with a good burn and draw, very enjoyable. Glad I gave it a second try, because that first toro must have been a fluke experience.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    These are an absolute must-try for me. I am a huge fan of everything 5 Vegas, and the Gold is a solid Conny. I can't wait to place my next order (when I have space...) and try these out!
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Been smoking some more of these from the Saturday deal; gotta say, I'm not usually a maduro fan, but I'm really digging these. The flavors are smooth and very nice, and the body is a mild-medium, so I'm not getting any kind of light headedness when I smoke these. So far, I've smoked the toro and the churchill; can't really tell the difference between 'em, but I like 'em both. This is gonna be a new staple inside my humi.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I'm actually ordering two boxes of these for a wedding (and three boxes of gold.) Great for new smokers, agree?
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    im actually not a fan of the gold...ill try another one soon to see if im mistaken but i think there are better conneticuts out there...i have yet to have a gold maduro...sadly...lol..
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Just had my first Gold Maduro........ It was good, but not as good as I hoped. I think they need lots of rest time. There was kind of a bitterness on the finish that I think came from lack of resting. But other than that, draw was good. Tastes were decent. Pretty spicy. Some minor burn issues that were easily corrected. Overall, not bad for the price. Gonna let the ones I have left rest for a few more months and revisit.......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Having a Toro courtesy of brotheradam. I really like it! Smooth and. Reamy with a nice sweetness. Good flavor. Burn is a little off but nothing major. Only about an inch in, will definatley be getting more bit will let them sit for about a month or so.
  • Options
    I had my first one of these, a robusto, about a week or so ago. It wasn't nearly as mild as I was expecting from some of the comments I've seen, so the strength took me a bit off guard. That said, it was by no means strong, just more so than I was expecting. Other than that, I was rather impressed with these, especially for the price point. I have 4 more resting to try later, will have to see how that does these boys. Great sweet smoke with strong coffee notes on my palate.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    My new "every day" stick. I realy like the flavor, fits my profile well. It does seem to burn a little faster then others, but I dont mind that. Good smoke in my book.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    What really suprised me was the blast of sweetness from this thing. I love naturally sweet maduros and this one really delivers. Lots of coffee, toasty type things at play for me as well. Would buy a box if i had room....
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    After a few weeks rest, the second one I had was much better. The bitterness faded and I got more of the sweet maduro taste out of it. I suggest to anyone buying some to give them at least a month of rest...... you won't be disappointed.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    smoking my first right now... got the DD a few weeks ago so they have about a month on them... and I'm not terribly impressed... only about half an inch in... but yeah, not that great