Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Fed bailout

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    so the long and short of it would be:
    pay the taxes you owe, but cut taxes for everyone?

if thats what you are saying i can get behind that. my only contention is when you say "...it becomes very difficult to make money unless you have money." I have had no problem making money and i also dont have any and havent had any in the past.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    kuzi16:
    so the long and short of it would be:
    pay the taxes you owe, but cut taxes for everyone?

if thats what you are saying i can get behind that. my only contention is when you say "...it becomes very difficult to make money unless you have money." I have had no problem making money and i also dont have any and havent had any in the past.
    Yes.. that's what I'm saying.

You're right... it's not difficult to make money... it's significantly easier to make money once you have money. If you have two individuals, and give one of them $15M, and give the other $1, then tell them to earn $250K in additional money over the next year, the guy with $15M inherently has an advantage, and a completely different approach to, making that money.

• Options
    thats true. there is a disconnect with that though. most people with $15 million have worked fairly hard at either getting it or keeping it. if you only have one single dollar to your name either you are very young, or you have done things in your life that have led you to that point.

the real argument is to give $15 million to a bum and one dollar to a financial planner and see who has made more in one year time.
  • Options
    If he's my financial guy, he would have invested it in stupid stuff and he'd be down 80 cent on the year :)
  • Options
    but you get my point.
  • Options
    I think the bum would make more. He may HAVE less money than he started with, but he would finish the year with more than the financial planner, and he would have had more money come in than the financial planner.

On average
  • Options
    dutyje:
    I think the bum would make more. He may HAVE less money than he started with, but he would finish the year with more than the financial planner, and he would have had more money come in than the financial planner.

On average
    on average this year? or ever? maybe that bum will go out and just spend it on booze and hookers. so yes he may have less money but that means that the financial planner MADE more. and in time will continue to make more. make good decisions on AVERAGE you will end up in the black not in the red
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    dutyje:

On average
    on average this year? or ever? maybe that bum will go out and just spend it on booze and hookers. so yes he may have less money but that means that the financial planner MADE more. and in time will continue to make more. make good decisions on AVERAGE you will end up in the black not in the red
    This year and ever.
  • Options
    then drop YOUR financial planner and go hire a bum.

edit:
    the bum will lose money every year on average until they get back to nothing unless they make good decisions. the financial manager will make money every year until one year he has more than the bum... unless he makes bad decisions.

having money does make it easier to make more but you still have to make a good decision and it isnt impossible to come from nothing and get rich. it depends not so much on how much you start with or without but rather how you deal with the situation that you have been delt
  • Options
    kuzi16:

edit:
    the bum will lose money every year on average until they get back to nothing unless they make good decisions. the financial manager will make money every year until one year he has more than the bum... unless he makes bad decisions.

having money does make it easier to make more but you still have to make a good decision and it isnt impossible to come from nothing and get rich. it depends not so much on how much you start with or without but rather how you deal with the situation that you have been delt
    Right.. you need to be brilliant like Paris Hilton.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:

edit:

Right.. you need to be brilliant like Paris Hilton.
    her parents were amazingly smart to make the money they did. She is a tool. if you give her all of that money its only a matter of time till she spends it all and wastes away to nothing. SHE didnt make the money, her parents did. if you take everything away from here she would have nothing. she has done one smart thing:
    she has made a name for herself so that she can make more money. she used the money she has to make more. that was a good decision that may not have been made by her... maybe a financial planner.

that still doenst mean that "common folk" cant make it big. it also doesnt mean that Paris Hilton wont lose it all.
  • Options
    BTW, i hate paris hilton.
  • Options
    I never said "common folk" can't make it big. It takes an extraordinary "common" person to get to the point where they are swimming in wealth. It takes an extraordinary filthy-rich person to get to the point where they have nothing. There are certainly many individual cases of both, but the point is that people don't necessarily have what they earn, or earn what they have.
  • Options
    im not arguing your last line. im just saying on average if you make good decisions you will do well.
  • Options
    it takes us a page or two, but we eventually land somewhere on a point of agreement.
  • Options
    sometimes its hard to articulate a complex subject such as this with few words.

besides... debate and conversation are what make the country strong. Its always fun to debate you.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    sometimes its hard to articulate a complex subject such as this with few words.

besides... debate and conversation are what make the country strong. Its always fun to debate you.
    Except when you're wrong.. then it's no fun because you're too stubborn ;)
  • Options
    ... good thing im almost never wrong

HA!
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    I don't care if there's only two sides....

You're both wrong...
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    rusirius:

You're both wrong...
    Quit egging them on ... I'm so sick of politics at this point.
  • Options
    rusirius:

You're both wrong...
    alright, Kuzi... let's get him
  • Options
    In all seriousness I really want someone to explain to me why either on of these two candidates' economic packages make any sense. THe only thing I'm getting out of it is that McCain is going to count my benefits as income and tax them. Obama thinks we're dumb enough to buy that he is going to to lower "middle" class taxes and raise taxes on the wealthy and on corporations. First off McCain's plan of taxing my benefits burns me bad. But not nearly as bad as Obama treating the general public like we aren't intelligent enough to realize that businesses don't pay taxes and raising taxes on the "wealthy" seldom actually accomplishes anything aside from more work for accountants finding ways to move the money around and invest it in areas where it won't be taxed. Thats reality. Duty I would LOVE to hear how you think Obama's plan will actually work? Seriously, I didn't mean that as sarcastic as it sounds.
  • Options
    Oh and if I hear either one of them talk about lowering taxes on the poor again I'll beat my head against the wall. How the hell do you lower taxes on someone who doesn't pay any?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    That's my feeling, but it sounds good to the average voter.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    You know if I would pay 5% less on my taxes I would be happy, and I'd really be happy if my overtime wasn't taxed, or if that's too much of a stretch, don't freaking tax it MORE!!! That really pisses me off.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    businesses don't pay taxes and raising taxes on the "wealthy" seldom actually accomplishes anything aside from more work for accountants finding ways to move the money around and invest it in areas where it won't be taxed. Thats reality. Duty I would LOVE to hear how you think Obama's plan will actually work? Seriously, I didn't mean that as sarcastic as it sounds.
    That's what I've been trying to say! Where is my post where my complaint is that the wealthy get to complain about being in the highest tax bracket, despite the fact that they end up paying less in tax (as a percentage) than the average person, because of their ability to shield income? This whole concept of a corporation as a taxable entity is what needs to be fixed. We were able to cut our tax outlay in half by simply establishing a couple businesses in my wife's name -- and we had a higher gross income! How cool was that?
  • Options
    rusirius:

You're both wrong...
    Shirley, you're slipping... do I gotta do your job for you? I think you meant to include this:

• Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    My personal feeling is that no matter who wins I think ultimately it'll be the people who end up losing...

Ohh, and Doodie... I didn't have time to find a witty graphic to include... My and Lassy were too busy feeling up the water pillows...
  • Options
    rusirius:
    My and Lassy were too busy feeling up the water pillows...
    Is that why she was so sweaty? She told me she had to go out running after work... she's training for a marathon in January, so I didn't think anything of it. I guess it's back to chaining her to the bed.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Have you considered foot-binding? I hear it's the shizzle.