Home Non Cigar Related
Options

CA unemployement questions.....advice needed

So i work part time with collecting some unemployment benefits...but I was just giving a job opportunity today for a full time job...but its a temp 179 day job...but the job could lead into a permanent job which is of course a good thing....

question is::: I was told if you accept Temporary work , i will give up my benefits of course while working, which is fine, but I wont be able to come to unemployement after the 179 days of work...true or false....serious question guys...advice could be used quickly here! lol

Comments

• Options
    RippRipp Posts: 125
    Not positive on part time work, but, if they laid you off after 179 days of work you would then be able to sign back up for unemployment. Usually a 2 week delay between last day of work and first paycheck.
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    just found my answer...lol...if you accept voluntary work for a certain time, you cannot come back to unemployment cuz I accepted a job knowingly with a end sight in the future...bummer...this may tempt me from not accepting the job....dang...decisions decisions
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    just found my answer...lol...if you accept voluntary work for a certain time, you cannot come back to unemployment cuz I accepted a job knowingly with a end sight in the future...bummer...this may tempt me from not accepting the job....dang...decisions decisions
    Joe, you also have 179 days to prove yourself worthy of a full time position, either with that company or somewhere else. I started my job as a temp, been there 11 years now. Just a thought, you have to do what is right for your situation.
  • Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Im pretty sure in pa after 180 days two 1/4's you put in enought time to collect thats most likely why those bastards are only going to work you 179 days
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Joe, every state is different. One thing I would pay close attention to is that, for instance here in Missouri, if you decline work that you are qualified for and is paying more than unemployment, you are disqualified from unemployment benefits. If what the others said is true in regards to CA unemployment, it puts you between a rock and a hard play. Still, personally, if the pay is good I would take the job and in my free time be looking for other opportunities. I do believe it is easier to get a job when you have a job and, like others have said, a temporary position can turn into full time. best of luck.