Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

RP Vintage 1990

Tonight I smoked my first RP and it was a vintage 1990. My goal since joining this community was to find a smoke comparable to the Cubans I was enjoying overseas. Thankfully it did not take me long as this cigar is quite comparable. The RP 1990 impressed me from the start with its leathery and peppery taste. There was also a hint of spice which is described as a faint espresso in the description on this site. The burn was smooth with a great white ash and this smoke lasted about an hour. I highly recommend this smoke to anyone and it will soon be a staple in my newly-established humidor.

Comments

• Options
    docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    One of my favorites.
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    The 92 has a little more ooomph, you might want to give it a try. They are both very good.
  • Options
    Theedge:
    The 92 has a little more ooomph, you might want to give it a try. They are both very good.
    +1
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I'm with you on that one edge.. While I like the 90, I love the 92.
  • Options
    hardbuckhardbuck Posts: 14
    I'm so glad to hear that. I have a '92 curing in the humidor.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    curing? :)

I prefer the 1990 actually, but I'm a big maduro fan so that shouldn't surprise anyone. Great stick!
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    hardbuck:
    Tonight I smoked my first RP and it was a vintage 1990. My goal since joining this community was to find a smoke comparable to the Cubans I was enjoying overseas. Thankfully it did not take me long as this cigar is quite comparable. The RP 1990 impressed me from the start with its leathery and peppery taste. There was also a hint of spice which is described as a faint espresso in the description on this site. The burn was smooth with a great white ash and this smoke lasted about an hour. I highly recommend this smoke to anyone and it will soon be a staple in my newly-established humidor.
    The 90 is also one of my favorites. I always have a few in my humi, in fact, I think I have 7 or 8 of them with a few years of age on them.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    i prefer the 90 too. but the 92 is always nice. both great sticks
  • Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    In all the discussion ive heard of RP 1990's (a staple in any humidor)....ive never heard them called peppery. They tend to be everything else except that...the 92s maybe...due to the EqSu wrapper, but ive never tasted or heard of anyone that tasted pepper in a 90. Thats not a knock or an insult, im just suprised, thats all.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Vidarien:
    In all the discussion ive heard of RP 1990's (a staple in any humidor)....ive never heard them called peppery. They tend to be everything else except that...the 92s maybe...due to the EqSu wrapper, but ive never tasted or heard of anyone that tasted pepper in a 90. Thats not a knock or an insult, im just suprised, thats all.
    Ya know, that may be a case of underdeveloped palate. The RP 1990 was the 2nd cigar I'd ever smoked, and I loved it (at a time that I was not liking anything "peppery"). It wasn't until I had put serious time into trying different cigars and developing my palate that I started to pick up a major pepper note in this cigar. I've also found it more prevalent in certain vitolas over others - more so in the churchill than the robusto in my experience, for example. On that note, this cigar remains easily in my Top 10 cigars, and most of the time in my Top 5.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    i just smoked one of my aged 90s few days ago, Great cigar, very smooth and creamy, no pepper though...which isn't surprising since how old they are now. If you like the 90, put a few years on them and then try them, IMO a good smoke turns into a GREAT smoke.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Hays:
    Vidarien:
    Ya know, that may be a case of underdeveloped palate. The RP 1990 was the 2nd cigar I'd ever smoked, and I loved it (at a time that I was not liking anything "peppery"). It wasn't until I had put serious time into trying different cigars and developing my palate that I started to pick up a major pepper note in this cigar. I've also found it more prevalent in certain vitolas over others - more so in the churchill than the robusto in my experience, for example. On that note, this cigar remains easily in my Top 10 cigars, and most of the time in my Top 5.
    If pepper doesnt groove with you at the moment, recommend you stay away from MOWs or anything Don Pepin makes.
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    I like the 90 and am in love with the Decade - try that one if you can... Also the ITC 10th Anny
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    When I first got into cigars this was the first non Connecticut cigar I ever tried and I totally fell in love with it. Shortly after I learned about cycling the smoke through your nose and I loved them even more. A few months went by and then my palate changed a time or two, and they just didn't satisfy like they did before. On top of that the new crop of 1990s didn't seem to be as good as they were a few years ago and it turned me completely off of them. At one time I had a few boxes worth of these, but I've given or traded most of them away.
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Rp1990 :) so far 2 for 2 that have been in the cooler for a while have been great. I guess I need to get some 1992 just to see what the hype is about.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Vidarien:
    Hays:
    Vidarien:
    If pepper doesnt groove with you at the moment, recommend you stay away from MOWs or anything Don Pepin makes.
    LOL! Um, thanks for the input? I already have my Man O' War Badge (look it up), and have smoked many a Pepin stick - MOWs are hardly what I would consider the most peppery sticks out there. Either way, I enjoy pepper now...my comment regarding not liking pepper was at the very beginning of my cigar interest. I have since...progressed, you might say?
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just had my first RP Vintage 1990 and I must say I really enjoyed it. From what I have read about the '92 I am sure I will trying one of those here shortly.
  • Options
    Russ55:
    On top of that the new crop of 1990s didn't seem to be as good as they were a few years ago and it turned me completely off of them. At one time I had a few boxes worth of these, but I've given or traded most of them away.
    This post reminded me of a thread I started a year or so ago called Cigar Vintages because I was wanting to know what years a blend was at it's best and everyone's opine on the matter. I agree with you russ, I think the 90s from a couple years ago tasted much better than the ones currently on the market. Creating a good cigar vintage list is not the easiest thing in the world, but I think it's definitely worth it...especially if u can still come across "good year" cigars.

"Long ashes my friends."