Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

New Release - San Lotano Habano

Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
So finally letting my palate settle down after the show where I must have smoked about 10 cigars a day I finally sat down to give some real feedback on the latest and greatest from the top makers offering for 2010. My first pick was of course a cigar from my very favorite cigar maker, AJ Fernandez and his San Lotano line. San Lotano is his first official national release which he is distributing himself. It is available in a habano, maduro and Connecticut wrapper. I settled on the habano to get the ball rolling as when I smoked this baby at the show it was one of my absolute favorites and I have been eager to see if my initial impressions would match up.

It is a nice not here in Chicago... About 86 degrees and I just finished a nice lambchop accompanied by bacon wrapped dates. To accompany my cigar I have selected a nice 8 year old Basil Hayden pored neat in a rocks glass which is my stand mode of operation.

Thie cigar has a nice look with a very woodsy prelight and oily wrapper. The draw in generous with no evident tight spots. Upon lighting the ere is a clear spicy aspect to the smoke that will clearly be the centerpiece of the smoke from start to finish, there is no question it is a nice full bodied smoke and there is a prominent red pepper note through the nose with a sweet aroma, the smoke is evenly balanced across the palate and has a weighty yet dry feel. Like most of AJs stuff, you get a consistent yet complex flavor throughout, yet the flavor takes on a meaty and toasty quality into the second half.

. I don't usually adhere to the standard 100 pt system. For me a cigar is either poor, fair, good, very good or excellent. This one clearly falls into the excellent category. For me it definitely sets the bar for everything that has come out this year.

Comments

• Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I love the San Lotano.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    I love the San Lotano.
    What did I win?
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    With a review like this one Alex, I am sure they will be hard to come by once released, better get 'em quickly guys, the line starts here. I read these will only be available through B&M retailers, is this true?
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I love San Lotano.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I love San Lotano
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    With a review like this one Alex, I am sure they will be hard to come by once released, better get 'em quickly guys, the line starts here. I read these will only be available through B&M retailers, is this true?
    Yes brick and mortar only but we will of course have the full line available via our cigar consultants over the phone. The first allocation will surely fly out fast, but once I can ramp up some inventory you can expect to see a deal for the forum guys in the form of a Saturday forum only deal. That said, it is going to be fairly based on a day to day basis starting at about six bucks. The beauty of AJ is that he has a very successful business making cigars for other distributors so as he put it to me at the show "I have the luxury of making a great cigar at a great price for this brand". He confided on me that this project is extremely important to him since it was his grandfathers brand back in Cuba. He wants to do it right and price it right to ensure its success and make sure it is accessible to anyone who likes a good smoke.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    kaspera79:
    Yes brick and mortar only but we will of course have the full line available via our cigar consultants over the phone. The first allocation will surely fly out fast, but once I can ramp up some inventory you can expect to see a deal for the forum guys in the form of a Saturday forum only deal. That said, it is going to be fairly based on a day to day basis starting at about six bucks. The beauty of AJ is that he has a very successful business making cigars for other distributors so as he put it to me at the show "I have the luxury of making a great cigar at a great price for this brand". He confided on me that this project is extremely important to him since it was his grandfathers brand back in Cuba. He wants to do it right and price it right to ensure its success and make sure it is accessible to anyone who likes a good smoke.
    All good news !! Thanks.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    cabinetmaker:
    cabinetmaker:
    I love the San Lotano.
    What did I win?
    I dunno, but if you do, I got some special G's to trade you for some of 'em, LMAO.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:

Good news, Alex. And thanks for taking the time to review it, but more importantly post it up here for us. It is very much appreciated.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Great news, another Great cigar at an affordable price from AJ! What more can you ask.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    Great news, another Great cigar at an affordable price from AJ! What more can you ask.
    To win the lottery, so I can buy a box of every cigar I ever liked? o.O
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    This is one I am very interested in trying.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    kaspera79:
    Well, this answers my a question I had on the other thread...I will be eagerly waiting Kelly's Saturday email with these. Alex, are you also going to be carrying the maduro at some point?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    These sound delicious! Looks like yet another AJ homerun.
  • Options
    Krieg:
    Alex Svenson:
    kaspera79:
    Well, this answers my a question I had on the other thread...I will be eagerly waiting Kelly's Saturday email with these. Alex, are you also going to be carrying the maduro at some point?
    Ya we are stocking the habano, maduro and Connecticut. All three are in transit to us.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Alex Svenson:
    Krieg:
    Alex Svenson:
    kaspera79:
    Ya we are stocking the habano, maduro and Connecticut. All three are in transit to us.
    Any date in mind they'll arrive, or should we just call now and reserve them? Or will Tim send an email when they land (i never get the email though, so maybe I'll just call)?
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    I think I'm just going to call in tomorrow after work...
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fired one of these up yesterday for review. For reasons I will list below the review has been postponed

The Good -
    From the start the flavor is fantastic and rich. The ash held on for over 3 inches. I know you guys are going to love this cigar.

The Bad (And not necessarily the manufacturers fault) -
    The wrapper was dried up and cracked. When I cut the cigar the end just exploded in crunchy tobacco. I did not want to waste a good cigar so I did my best with it. Keep in mind these cigars were in the intense heat and humidity in NOLA. Then the were in the hot convention center which eventually turned on the cold air. Then they found their way from AJ Fernandez into my bag which continued their journey in and out of air conditioning and intense heat and humidity including my trunk so no one would steal them. Back into the hotel air conditioning and a 13 hour car trip back home. I can not fault anyone for this.

Due to all of that I could not give a proper, fair, and honest review. I can tell you the flavor is amazing right from the start. You know the construction is spot on when the ash holds tight over 3 inches like that. This is definitely going to be a must try this year for you guys. Anxious to try the other 2 blends but I need to rest everything from IPCPR.
  • Options
    should be about 2 weeks. we will start taking preorders late this week once we get the skus built in the system.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Alex Svenson:
    should be about 2 weeks. we will start taking preorders late this week once we get the skus built in the system.
    What different vitola's will be offered Alex ?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    laker1963:
    Alex Svenson:
    And will we a flight sampler that includes all three wrappers?
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    laker1963:
    Alex Svenson:
    And will we a flight sampler that includes all three wrappers?
    Yes, please! I'd like a mega sampler.