Home Non Cigar Related
Options

New bill introduced to extend unemployment benefits..

cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
New bill will extend unemployment benefits from 99 to 119 weeks.. The name of the bill? The "americans want to work act"... I honestly couldn't think of anything to add to make that any funnier...

Comments

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    I am against this bill, I will say that. But I also think it is a much more complex issue than simple want to work vs dont to be lazy vs handouts issue. I am glad at times like this I am not in poltiics, because it is truly a winless battle.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Vulchor:
    I am against this bill, I will say that. But I also think it is a much more complex issue than simple want to work vs dont to be lazy vs handouts issue. I am glad at times like this I am not in poltiics, because it is truly a winless battle.
    Maybe they should re-name it the "americans want to work (but not for 20 more weeks) act"... I'm not going to say its a winless situation just yet. Since you're a poker player, you'll appreciate the analogy of a "chip and a chair"; or a vote in November.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    Maybe they should re-name it the "americans want to work (but not for 20 more weeks) act"...
    thats kinda funny.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I empathize with those who have lost their jobs (I have been unemployed also), but this was not meant to be a career, just a stop gap measure. A much more effective approach would be to fuel economic development in the private sector instead of the massive govt hiring and give away scheme in place now that is failing miserably!!
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    They had to extend it so that it would cover all those getting VOTED OUT OF A JOB in November.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    zoom6zoom:
    They had to extend it so that it would cover all those getting VOTED OUT OF A JOB in November.
    imageI usually stay out of these...but that is too damn funny right there!
  • Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    I must say I think this is getting crazy. Along with our company who just hired three people I know several people who own company's that have all said they cant find workers at least not good ones. I have heard more than one person say they really are not worried about finding work because the can collect and work a day and make dame near as much as they were making when they were working full time. I feel that unemoloyment is important and have collected before and it saved my butt it sure was not enough to sit around and watch TV but it kept me from loseing everything. All we our doing now is enableing people to be lazy on our dime which is just crazy.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    This was a bone thrown to the unions. Nuff said..... The only thing that's really gonna help people find jobs is a strong economy. The Obama Administration knows they can't deliver that, so this is a band-aid, at best. The Dems don't want to lose their biggest allies, the unions. With the November elections looming, you're gonna see more pandering to this group and that group from both sides of the aisle.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    how about "Americans want to work but we won't let them because we make it too enticing to sit around and do nothing" act?
  • Options
    bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    lilwing88:
    This was a bone thrown to the unions. Nuff said..... The only thing that's really gonna help people find jobs is a strong economy. The Obama Administration knows they can't deliver that, so this is a band-aid, at best. The Dems don't want to lose their biggest allies, the unions. With the November elections looming, you're gonna see more pandering to this group and that group from both sides of the aisle.

Exactly, create jobs!
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    The simple fact the unemployment used to be only 26 weeks was ideal .... that fact that some one can sit on UE for 2+ years is just a freakin joke