Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Last American contest/bomb - WINNER DECLARED

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
Ok guys. This will be the last contest/bomb that I hold while I'm still on American soil. So get to it! It will be a History/Literature Trivia contest! You may edit your answers as much as you like. Only rule is, there will be no new answers taken or edited after midnight on Monday morning Central Standard Time. That's August 23, 2010 at 0000 hours CST. The person with the most correct answers wins.Winner must be on the Good Traders list

1.) This Union general was relieved of command after a catastrophic charge across an open field against many Confederate soldiers taking cover behind a stone wall in Virginia and a failed attempt to dig under Confederate trenches in another battle. He was also known for his huge, weird-looking facial hair. Who is he? (Hint: He's not Ulysses Grant)

2.) Mentioned in The Iliad, he is the only Greek warrior besides his uncle to wound two deities and live to tell about it. He was also known for shaming Achilles for his childish actions. Who is he? (Hint: Heracles [or Hercules] is his uncle)

3.) In Romance of the Three Kingdoms, this warlord was the childhood friend of Liu Bei and was famous for driving out barbarians constantly with huge amounts of cavalrymen riding white horses. These white horses were worshiped by those barbarians. This warlord died relatively early in Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Who is he?

4.) In the Dragon Age novels and the video game, whom are Prince Alistair's (later, King Alistair, if you convince him to take the throne) real parents?

5.) Who was the deity that favored the Greek warrior mentioned in question number 2?

6.) In the Horus Heresy series, who is the primarch of the Emperor's Children and which one of his brothers does he murder after being corrupted by the Chaos Gods?

7.) Not a literature question, but rather a television question. Which two brands are mentioned specifically in the TV series The Sopranos? The box of ISOMs was given to Tony Soprano's neighbor and the other is given out during a high-stakes poker game racket.(Hint: One is an ISOM, the other isn't [and neither are Cohiba nor CAO])

8.) In mainland China after the Commie Revolution, the word "tong zhi" means "comrade". However, in Taiwan, the same word is slang for what?

9.) What were colonists that were still loyal to the crown called during the American Revolution? (Or called the Great Tax Dodge, according to Brits I know :P).

10.) What special metal was found coating ancient Chinese arrows and crossbow bolts (Hint: It prevents corrosion and rusting)?

11.) In Le Morte D'Arthur (The Death of Arthur), Lancelot is the most popular of the Knights of the Round Table. However, he later betrayed Arthur by having an affair with Queen Guinevere. Arthur found out about the affair and in his anger, ordered Guinevere to be executed. Lancelot came to rescue her and in the melee, accidentally killed two other unarmed knights. One of them was his best friend, the other was his friend's brother. Who were they? (Hint: They were both related to Sir Gawain)

12.) Also in Le Morte D'Arthur, King Arthur and Merlin were talking one day. When Merlin asked Arthur whether he preferred Excalibur or the scabbard, Arthur chose Excalibur. Merlin called him a fool for it. Why?

Comments

• RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    wwhwang:
    Ok guys. This will be the last contest/bomb that I hold while I'm still on American soil. So get to it! It will be a History/Literature Trivia contest! You may edit your answers as much as you like. Only rule is, there will be no new answers taken or edited after midnight on Monday morning Central Standard Time. That's August 23, 2010 at 0000 hours CST. The person with the most correct answers wins.Winner must be on the Good Traders list

1.) This Union general was relieved of command after a catastrophic charge across an open field against many Confederate soldiers taking cover behind a stone wall in Virginia and a failed attempt to dig under Confederate trenches in another battle. He was also known for his huge, weird-looking beard. Who is he?

2.) Mentioned in the Odyssey, he is the only Greek warrior to wound two deities and live to tell about it. He was also known for shaming Achilles for his childish actions. Who is he?

3.) In Romance of the Three Kingdoms, this warlord was the childhood friend of Liu Bei and was famous for driving out barbarians constantly with huge amounts of cavalrymen riding white horses. These white horses were worshiped by those barbarians. This warlord died relatively early in Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Who is he?

4.) In the Dragon Age novels and the video game, whom are Prince Alistair's (later, King Alistair, if you convince him to take the throne) real parents?

5.) Who was the deity that favored the Greek warrior mentioned in question number 2?

6.) In the Horus Heresy series, who is the primarch of the Emperor's Children and which one of his brothers does he murder after being corrupted by the Chaos Gods?

7.) Not a literature question, but rather a television question. Which two brands are mentioned specifically in the TV series The Sopranos? (Hint: One is an ISOM, the other isn't)

8.) In mainland China after the Commie Revolution, the word "tong zhi" means "comrade". However, in Taiwan, the same word is slang for what?

9.) What were colonists that were still loyal to the crown called during the American Revolution? (Or called the Great Tax Dodge, according to Brits I know :P).

10.) What special metal was found coating ancient Chinese arrows and crossbow bolts?

WOW thats Freaking WILD and INSANE BRO! Whats the Prize a Box of ISOM Monti Cristos!
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    1) Ulyssis S Grant
    2)The lliad?
    3)Yuan Shu
    4)King Maric and Queen Rowan
    5) Athena
    6) Horus
    7) Cohiba, and CAO
    8) slang for homosexual pretty much
    9) United Empire loyalist
    10) FLint!
    Dang this was hard lol
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Challenging questions...I'll answer as much as I can and will be editing this weekend.

1. Grant

2. Odysseus

3. ?

4. ?

5. Athena

6. ****

7. Cohiba and ?

8. ?

9. Tories

10. ?

Oh yea...need to do some research...
  • GentlemanGentleman Posts: 152
    1. Ambrose Burnside, best answer I could find but I'm confused cause it's not really a beard..
    2.Odysseus
    3.Gongsun Zan
    4.King Maric is his father and in the book Fiona is his mother right?
    5.Athena
    6.Fulgrim killed Ferrus Manus
    7.CAO and Cohiba?
    8. L3sbian, gay, bi, transexual. Basically homosexual
    9. Tory
    10.flint
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    im on it! Im sure your going to have like 40 correct answers from 40 guys!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:

1.) This Union general was relieved of command after a catastrophic charge across an open field against many Confederate soldiers taking cover behind a stone wall in Virginia and a failed attempt to dig under Confederate trenches in another battle. He was also known for his huge, weird-looking beard. Who is he?

Pickett 2.) Mentioned in the Odyssey, he is the only Greek warrior to wound two deities and live to tell about it. He was also known for shaming Achilles for his childish actions. Who is he?

Ulysessus aka Odisyiss sp? 3.) In Romance of the Three Kingdoms, this warlord was the childhood friend of Liu Bei and was famous for driving out barbarians constantly with huge amounts of cavalrymen riding white horses. These white horses were worshiped by those barbarians. This warlord died relatively early in Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Who is he?

not quite sure, but if I remember correctly, it was Gongsun Zan 4.) In the Dragon Age novels and the video game, whom are Prince Alistair's (later, King Alistair, if you convince him to take the throne) real parents?

i have no idea 5.) Who was the deity that favored the Greek warrior mentioned in question number 2?

Athena i think 6.) In the Horus Heresy series, who is the primarch of the Emperor's Children and which one of his brothers does he murder after being corrupted by the Chaos Gods?

no clue 7.) Not a literature question, but rather a television question. Which two brands are mentioned specifically in the TV series The Sopranos? (Hint: One is an ISOM, the other isn't)

never watched it 8.) In mainland China after the Commie Revolution, the word "tong zhi" means "comrade". However, in Taiwan, the same word is slang for what?

no idea 9.) What were colonists that were still loyal to the crown called during the American Revolution? (Or called the Great Tax Dodge, according to Brits I know :P).

The Loyalists 10.) What special metal was found coating ancient Chinese arrows and crossbow bolts? gold i think

"Long ashes my friends."

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    wwhwang:

Pickett 2.) Mentioned in the Odyssey, he is the only Greek warrior to wound two deities and live to tell about it. He was also known for shaming Achilles for his childish actions. Who is he?

Ulysessus aka Odisyiss sp? 3.) In Romance of the Three Kingdoms, this warlord was the childhood friend of Liu Bei and was famous for driving out barbarians constantly with huge amounts of cavalrymen riding white horses. These white horses were worshiped by those barbarians. This warlord died relatively early in Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Who is he?

not quite sure, but if I remember correctly, it was Gongsun Zan 4.) In the Dragon Age novels and the video game, whom are Prince Alistair's (later, King Alistair, if you convince him to take the throne) real parents?

i have no idea 5.) Who was the deity that favored the Greek warrior mentioned in question number 2?

Athena i think 6.) In the Horus Heresy series, who is the primarch of the Emperor's Children and which one of his brothers does he murder after being corrupted by the Chaos Gods?

no clue 7.) Not a literature question, but rather a television question. Which two brands are mentioned specifically in the TV series The Sopranos? (Hint: One is an ISOM, the other isn't)

never watched it 8.) In mainland China after the Commie Revolution, the word "tong zhi" means "comrade". However, in Taiwan, the same word is slang for what?

no idea 9.) What were colonists that were still loyal to the crown called during the American Revolution? (Or called the Great Tax Dodge, according to Brits I know :P).

The Loyalists 10.) What special metal was found coating ancient Chinese arrows and crossbow bolts? gold i think

1. Pickett
    2. Odessius
    3.Gongsun Zun
    4.?
    5.Athena
    6.?
    7.?
    8.beats the hell out of me
    9.Loyalists
    10.Gold I think

"Long ashes my friends."

• jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    1Ambrose Burnside
    2Diomedes
    3gongsun zan
    4king maric and queen rowan
    5Athena
    6A. fulgrim B. ferrus manus
    7A. monticristo B.macanudo
    8Homosexual
    9Loyalists, Tories, Kings men
    10Bronz
    11Gareth and gaheris
    12because of the invinciblity he had when he had the scabbard.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Questions 1, 2, 5, 7, and 10 were revised for corrections, clarity, or more hints. Questions 11 and 12 were added since I rushed the questions and posted before they were done (as I had to head to my temp job).
    Redtailhawkoz:
    WOW thats Freaking WILD and INSANE BRO! Whats the Prize a Box of ISOM Monti Cristos!
    Oh Lord, I hope not lol. I'd be completely broke and I haven't even moved yet. It will be a nice little package with some good sticks. The main point of this contest is to encourage my fellow BOTL to brush up on their history and to read good literature (or give them stuff to research at least lol). Well...that and another chance to give back to the community.
  • docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    I'm on the good traders list but virtually all of this is foreign to me. I'm not the last American and apparently not a very intelligent one. I'll bow out of this one. Good luck to the rest.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    1) George Pickett
    2) Odysseus
    3) Gongsun Zan
    4) Maric and Fiona?
    5) Athena
    6) Fulgrim kills Ferrus Manus
    7) Tony gives Dr. Cusamano Montecristos. In the poker game it's Macanudos I believe
    8) gay / ****
    9) Loyalists / Tories / Royalist's / or King's Men - could be any of them. They were all used
    10) Chrome
    11) Gareth and Gaheris
    12) As long as Arthur carried the scabbard, no weapon could harm him

How'd I do. No one had answered 11 or 12 so I couldn't cheat, dangit, haha. And I can't be the only one getting the cigars guys. Come on....

edited... did some more research... these are f'n hard!
    wwhwang:

1.) This Union general was relieved of command after a catastrophic charge across an open field against many Confederate soldiers taking cover behind a stone wall in Virginia and a failed attempt to dig under Confederate trenches in another battle. He was also known for his huge, weird-looking facial hair. Who is he? (Hint: He's not Ulysses Grant)

2.) Mentioned in The Iliad, he is the only Greek warrior besides his uncle to wound two deities and live to tell about it. He was also known for shaming Achilles for his childish actions. Who is he? (Hint: Heracles [or Hercules] is his uncle)

7.) Not a literature question, but rather a television question. Which two brands are mentioned specifically in the TV series The Sopranos? The box of ISOMs was given to Tony Soprano's neighbor and the other is given out during a high-stakes poker game racket.(Hint: One is an ISOM, the other isn't [and neither are Cohiba nor CAO])

10.) What special metal was found coating ancient Chinese arrows and crossbow bolts (Hint: It prevents corrosion and rusting)?

11.) In Le Morte D'Arthur (The Death of Arthur), Lancelot is the most popular of the Knights of the Round Table. However, he later betrayed Arthur by having an affair with Queen Guinevere. Arthur found out about the affair and in his anger, ordered Guinevere to be executed. Lancelot came to rescue her and in the melee, accidentally killed two other unarmed knights. One of them was his best friend, the other was his friend's brother. Who were they? (Hint: They were both related to Sir Gawain)

12.) Also in Le Morte D'Arthur, King Arthur and Merlin were talking one day. When Merlin asked Arthur whether he preferred Excalibur or the scabbard, Arthur chose Excalibur. Merlin called him a fool for it. Why?
    Question. What if winners have equal number of correct answers? Can't really go by who posted first, siince you can edit, you won't know who posted them first? Just asking.
    If there is a tie, I'm thinking of either asking another history question, but the guys tied pm me the answers. That or a random number generator.
    or just joey wins...game over lol
    I'm surprised that more people aren't trying lol. Must not like history or free sticks.
    They just know I'm 12 for 12 and its a wrap.
    cholmes8310:
    Hate to break it to you, man. But you're not 12 for 12.
    wwhwang:
    cholmes8310:
    Hate to break it to you, man. But you're not 12 for 12.
    damn... google lied to me then. haha
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    this could be one of the hardest contests EVER
    illinoisgolf99:
    this could be one of the hardest contests EVER
    But then again, I -was- one of two brainchilds behind the Jigsaw games lol.
    Today's the last day! In fact, the last 12 hours and 42 min. Get crackin'. All answers can be edited until midnight CST.
    yeah this was one of the hardest ones that I have gotten in with....lol...but worth it!
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    yeah this was one of the hardest ones that I have gotten in with....lol...but worth it!
    By the way, there's twelve questions, more hints, and clarified questions now.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    First---I only wish you the best of luck in your move and future endeavours (sp?). I have read many of your posts about ongoings and such in life and feel for ya bro and hope for the best. I dont always write or know what to say, so just wanted to give you my best.....On to the guesses.....

1. Burnside2. Diomedes3. Gongsun Zan4. Maric & Rowan---age wise I think it had to be5. Athena6. Fulgrim & Ferrus Manus7. Montecristo(ISOM) & Macancudo8. Gay/Les/****/Tranny and the like9. Loyalists/Torries10. Chrome11. Gareth & Gaheris12. Scabbard because it provided protection as long as it was worn.
    Since it seems that no one else is participating, I'll end the contest a bit early. I'll start by posting the correct answers, then posting the winner after tallying the answers.

Answers are:
    1. General Ambrose Burnside
    2. Diomedes
    3. Gongsun Zan
    4. Alistair's real parents are King Maric and Fiona. King Maric and Queen Rowan's child is King Cailan (Alistair's half brother)
    5. Athena
    6. Fulgrim is the primarch of the Emperor's Children and he kills his best friend and brother, Ferrus Manus of the Iron Hands.
    7. Tony gives his neighbor ISOM Montecristos and gives away Macanudos at the poker game.
    8. Tong Zhi is slang for homosexual in Taiwan
    9. Tory, loyalist, royalist, and king's men were acceptable.
    10. Chrome
    11. Gareth and Gaheris
    12. As long as the scabbard was worn, it would protect the bearer from any harm
    So here's the tally! Thanks to everyone for participating.

Joeyjoe - 2/12
    sightunseen - 2/12
    Gentleman - 7/12
    Krieg - 3/12
    jship - 10/12
    cholmes - 10/12
    Vulchor - 11/12

Vulchor wins! PM me your info, buddy.
    yea i knew i wouldnt win...hard ass questions fool! lol
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    Yeah...sorry, man. Didn't think it was going to be as tough as it was for most of you guys. That might be what scared off a lot of people lol. I'm a history/literature nerd.
    wwhwang:
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    Yeah...sorry, man. Didn't think it was going to be as tough as it was for most of you guys. That might be what scared off a lot of people lol. I'm a history/literature nerd.
    ah fack! I had Diomedes and changed it. No idea on Burnside though.