Home General Discussion
Options

Hello Gents! newbie here..

I just had my first cigar last night and loved it.  I am looking to pick some up tomorrow for the weekend.

What would you guys suggest for a newbie?  Since I am knew I would like to stay on the cheap to mid grade price.

What are your thoughts on Gispert?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Gispert? Never heard of it before.

I'd say try out the 5 Vegas line if you wanna go cheap but still get good quality; the 5 Vegas Gold is a good one for beginners.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. A good beginner smoke is the Oliva G Maduro. Like xmacro was saying, 5 Vegas Gold is also a good beginner's stick.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    MattNJ:
    I just had my first cigar last night and loved it.  I am looking to pick some up tomorrow for the weekend.

What would you guys suggest for a newbie?  Since I am knew I would like to stay on the cheap to mid grade price.

Thanks in advance!

Matt
    'Ello! Everyone says 5 vegas, and they are right! But most Brick and Mortar stores (B&M) don't carry that line... I'd go with whatever the person at the local shop suggests as mild! But if you ARE ordering online right now, then 5 vegas!
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might try a look at Oliva's, not my favorite, but always well constructed and seldom over-powering. Read through the threads, don't overdo, take your time and enjoy.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    If you're just getting into the hobby, I would suggest 5 Vegas Gold, Gurkha Turk, Padilla Hybrid, or Oliva Conneticut Reserve. Great sticks to start out with. The Man O' War Virtue is my personal favorite mild to medium cigar.
  • Options
    Welcome, I'd go with Flor de Oliva or 5 Vegas both are good, also Gurkha Park Ave is good too.
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. Gispert is a good cigar. I would start off by trying mild to medium Sampler packs.
  • Options
    babsdpubabsdpu Posts: 143
    Welcome, I agree on anything Oliva (wait a while until you try the V, though) and Perdomo makes some good mild blends.
  • Options
    StarbuckStarbuck Posts: 32
    Welcome to the site. I just signed up today as well. I have no recommendations as I'm still pretty new to cigars as well, but looks like some of the experts here already have some excellent suggestions.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    For what most B&M's have, on the slightly cheaper end I would recommend Romeo y Julieta Viejo, the Oliva G Maduro or Oliva O Natural, and on the pricier side, the Avo series are all pretty decent mild cigars, aside from the Heritage, Companero and AVOLE10. Those are all fairly mild.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Welcome to both of you. The Gurkha Park Avenue is mild, tasty, and not too spendy. Always 5 Vegas Gold, or you might want to give Padilla Hybrid a try. Also cheap and very tasty for a milder stick.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    MattNJ:
    connecticut shade wrapper, honduran binder and a filler from nicaragua and honduras.

expect a sweet grassy flavor with earth undertones. this may or may not develop into wood tones. the second half will be better than the first. expect a few burn issues but nothing to really piss you off.

for the price tag, im not mad at it.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Welcome to the forum! Like many others have stated if I was you I'd go mild and build up, the Man O War Virtue, 5 Vegas Gold and Nub Connecticut and Verdadero Organic are great mild smokes!
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Yo welcome.... Check out the Gran Habano #1 great creamy smooth smoke.

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, brother. I'd suggest starting out 'old school'..... Go for a few classic milds. Try a Romeo y Julieta 1875, an Arturo Fuente Curly Head Natural and maybe a Montecristo Classic. It'll give you a nice sample of some classic cigar flavors. Then build up to the more complex stuff......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    lilwing88:
    Welcome, brother. I'd suggest starting out 'old school'..... Go for a few classic milds. Try a Romeo y Julieta 1875, an Arturo Fuente Curly Head Natural and maybe a Montecristo Classic. It'll give you a nice sample of some classic cigar flavors. Then build up to the more complex stuff......
    I agree with lilwing88. also ask you B&M owner most of the time it is someone who knows his sh(* and can help you. Last but not least only you can be the judge of what a good cigar is so get smokeing!!
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Welcometo the Baords and like has already been sugessted 5 vegas Gold is your stick a good solid inexpensive tasty smoke! Good luck and again welcome!
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Welcome to the forum hope you stick with this hobby. Try the Nub Conn. One of my favorite milds and can be found here on line and in most B&M's. Very smooth and creamy smoke, kind of one dimentional but good flavor IMO.
  • Options
    MattNJMattNJ Posts: 2
    Wow, thanks for all the help guys!! I wrote them down and will check out a local store by me in NJ JR Cigar.  Cant wait to try them out this weekend!