Home General Discussion
Options

Rarity..

Often times I hear about rare cigars that are either not released to the public, special events only etc etc..most of which I've never heard of. So my question is, which cigars are those rare vitolas that are actually released to the public in a limited quantity that would be worth looking for at my local B&M's?
Reason I ask is that I looked around at one of my local B&M's today and saw lots of stuff I thought might be rare.. Tatueja tubo's red and black and reserve, Ashton ESG's, etc...
List what you think is rare..and worth a purchase..

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Pete has said he will never make a tubo again... so that's it for those.

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Well, considering that Pete isn't going to make Tat tubos anymore, those will be rare......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    lilwing88:
    Well, considering that Pete isn't going to make Tat tubos anymore, those will be rare......
    Better stock up...
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    I think the black are better than the reds, reds don't seem to take to aging for some odd reason.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    any rare LFD is worth getting.
    Rare Fuentes are worth getting even if you dont like them. they are easy to trade and you cen get good stuff from them.
    Rare Liga Privadas are usually good.
    and if you like fuller cigars, any rare camachos are good.
  • Options
    I guess I worded the question wrong... Which cigars do you consider rare, that you might find at a local B&M? Brand, type, vitola etc
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I have some Partegas 150 Serie C's, pretty rare since they wereonly rolledin 1995 - or released in 1995.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Hayblet:
    I think the black are better than the reds, reds don't seem to take to aging for some odd reason.
    I think it is a bit early to say that, the Tatuaje tubes haven't been around all that long. While I agree so far that the reds aren't taking as well as the blacks, I think at least a year of aging is needed to assess how they're holding up, and realistically more like 2 years. That's my opinion anyway.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Many of the cigars that I have been stocking up on are somewhat rare. Specifically many line from LFD, a few blends from Tatuaje like the El Triunfador lancero (original blend), and a few of the Fuente blends like the Anejo and the OpusX. In my humble opinion, they are all worth the extra cash. LFD is a great step into what I would consider "a different league" than the typical stuff you find on the Daily Deals and at deep discounts online. Average price for LFDs are around $7-8 a stick and in my humble opinion are the best "bang for your buck." Cameroon Cabinet, Double Ligero Maduro, and the Natural Cabinet are true knock-my-socks off cigars and the Airbender is close behind. Course, this is all my humble opinion. :)
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    Many of the cigars that I have been stocking up on are somewhat rare. Specifically many line from LFD, a few blends from Tatuaje like the El Triunfador lancero (original blend), and a few of the Fuente blends like the Anejo and the OpusX. In my humble opinion, they are all worth the extra cash. LFD is a great step into what I would consider "a different league" than the typical stuff you find on the Daily Deals and at deep discounts online. Average price for LFDs are around $7-8 a stick and in my humble opinion are the best "bang for your buck." Cameroon Cabinet, Double Ligero Maduro, and the Natural Cabinet are true knock-my-socks off cigars and the Airbender is close behind. Course, this is all my humble opinion. :)
    humble is right...if you can't buy LFD cigars for $3 each on the DD then they're not worth it. Kidding of course, LFD is one of those brands that I'm happy to pay retail for, to me they're good enough to warrant the price they carry, a lot of cigars can't say that. The original El Triunfador is another cigar that fits that bill, imo the best thing PJ has affixed his name to and they seem to be much harder to come by than before the new blend came out...glad I've got 2 boxes on standby as they seem to age very well.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Some of mine are rare, and I may never get the chance to replace them. Cohiba Reserva from 2001, San Cristobal de la Habana from 2002 and a full box of Hoyo de Monterrey Regalos Edicion Limitada 2007 will become harder to find over time, but I doubt you will find any of them in your local B&M. I started College today, so I smoked one of the Cohiba Torpedo Reserva from 2001 to celebrate!

• Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    j0z3r:
    TatuajeVI:
    humble is right...if you can't buy LFD cigars for $3 each on the DD then they're not worth it. Kidding of course, LFD is one of those brands that I'm happy to pay retail for, to me they're good enough to warrant the price they carry, a lot of cigars can't say that. The original El Triunfador is another cigar that fits that bill, imo the best thing PJ has affixed his name to and they seem to be much harder to come by than before the new blend came out...glad I've got 2 boxes on standby as they seem to age very well.
    I blame you in particular for showing me the light! My first El Triunfador and first LFD Cameroon Cabinet were both from you! Now I have more LFDs in the humidors than any other brand, and I've managed to grab a few El Triunfador lanceros - you are right, they are much harder to find ever since the new blend came out. Really wasn't impressed with the new blend at all.
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    j0z3r:
    TatuajeVI:
    I blame you in particular for showing me the light! My first El Triunfador and first LFD Cameroon Cabinet were both from you! Now I have more LFDs in the humidors than any other brand, and I've managed to grab a few El Triunfador lanceros - you are right, they are much harder to find ever since the new blend came out. Really wasn't impressed with the new blend at all.
    I can't help it that I've got such excellent taste in cigars...just trying to bring you mere mortals to a higher plane of existence. Wink [;)]
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Well, I can't contribute much, but bear in mind that when a cigar is 'rare', it's something of a relative term. It could mean the cigar isn't produced anymore, or it could mean that the cigar is produced every year, but only certain batches are exceptional in taste, or it could mean that the manufacturer produces the cigar every year but only releases a certain number of boxes. So 'rare' is kinda relative and depends on whether the rarity is actual or artificial (as in the case of GoF's - they're rare because there's so few licensed dealers)

camgfs:
    Some of mine are rare, and I may never get the chance to replace them. Cohiba Reserva from 2001, San Cristobal de la Habana from 2002 and a full box of Hoyo de Monterrey Regalos Edicion Limitada 2007 will become harder to find over time, but I doubt you will find any of them in your local B&M. I started College today, so I smoked one of the Cohiba Torpedo Reserva from 2001 to celebrate!

Congrats man! College is a great time; have fun, because it's probably gonna be decades before you can sit on your ass and smoke on a Wednesday afternoon without a care in the world
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    ok i've been on this sight for eight months and LFD has been used so many times but i have yet to figure out what the full name is! Im embarrased just asking! Please answer and yes im a nob
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Congrats man! College is a great time; have fun, because it's probably gonna be decades before you can sit on your ass and smoke on a Wednesday afternoon without a care in the world
    Unless you hit the lottery or are very lazy
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    cooch36:
    ok i've been on this sight for eight months and LFD has been used so many times but i have yet to figure out what the full name is! Im embarrased just asking! Please answer and yes im a nob
    LFD.. La Flor Dominicana, a highly regarded brand of cigars.
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    cooch36:
    LFD.. La Flor Dominicana, a highly regarded brand of cigars.
    that was the only one that matched i just wasnt sure. ty for not pointing and laughing.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    xmacro:
    camgfs:

I am fortunate enough to be a mature student, with a full time income and my schooling is paid for me, so I can continue to afford some luxuries. Sounds like a slice of heaven, eh?

• Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    I have some Partegas 150 Serie C's, pretty rare since they wereonly rolledin 1995 - or released in 1995.
    Have you smoked any of your 150s yet? If so, how were they?
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    I have a couple of Reds that have completely fallen apart....in the tube.
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    stephen_hannibal:
    Pete has said he will never make a tubo again... so that's it for those.

Picked me p a Tat Red Tubo Today, they have 8 left, and My B&M confirmed it to me that Pete is no longer selling Tubos and they were told that these one sthat have are the Last... they couldnt order any the blacks are GONE and some of the Red do still exist... that Fn Sucks..... Whats up with that , I have never had a Black Tat and Really wanted to try one!
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Nick2021:
    cabinetmaker:
    Have you smoked any of your 150s yet? If so, how were they?
    yes. one. best cigar.... EVER.