Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Your First Job?

13»

Comments

• Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baled hay for the neighbors at about 12 years old. Best part was the food after we got done and they always let me drink a beer with them.
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I filled in for two friends on their paper routes and worked on an uncle's farm on occasion. But my first real part time job was making concrete statues, bird baths, etc. We made some pretty cool stuff but that job sucked ass.
  • Options
    WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the day you could work when you were 16. My first job was working at God Fathers Pizza in Bellevue Washington as a dishwasher. Just for the summer. I quickly learned that working in the food industry was not for me.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    unpaid at mom's coffee shop/sandwich shop, first paying job, gravelying a patch of poison Ivy after spraying it with kerosene to kill it for a orthodontist at the age of 12. What an arsehole he was. 

edit: the Gravely was a lot bigger than I was.
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Took the mower away from my neighbor when I was 7. Mowed her lawn and shoveled her snow for diabetic cookies but she helped me get my other people. Arranged them to where I could mow 2 or 3 a day and be done before pool opened. Wasn't strong enough to use a snow shovel until I was 10, so I used a small square shovel of step dad's. Did that until 18 and never owned a mower or bought a gallon of gas. 

Step dad had  a asphalt paving and roofing  company and would let me help him and my older brother on bigger jobs. Hussled my first striping job striping the grocery store parking lot. Step dad said he would give me the  paint if I got the job. $350 was a lot of money for a 9yr old for 6 hrs for work in 82 (would have took 3 hrs had I just broomed where striped were instead of brooming entire lot).
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "What Do You Do For A Living" thread got me to thinking of my first job, was going top start a topic but found this one from before I joined the forum.  In honor of Rains return I'll necro.

Like @jlmarta I delivered milk at 11 years old, not horse drawn wagon though.  Ride my bike to the dairy at 4am, help fill the truck with ice and the orders.  Driver would check it and off we'd go, I was the runner on the right side he did the left.  Plenty of glass quart bottles then though.  

Now this was in 1968 when I lived up north.  Around the late 80's I was at a friends house down here and noticed an old milk can from Grant's Diary, the one I worked for up there.  Didn't even know he had it, said his wife must have gotten it at a yard sale, they were getting divorced, take it.  I use it as a footstool in the garage, ain't life funny sometimes.    

You say you lived up north in 1968 - where was 'up north'?

I lived in Detroit and the dairy was Sealtest. Our main competition was Borden's. 

Later, in my teens, I was a helper on a delivery truck for Faygo Beverages. I think both Sealtest and Faygo are still in business...  B)
  • Options
    AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farm hand at a dairy farm.
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    The "What Do You Do For A Living" thread got me to thinking of my first job, was going top start a topic but found this one from before I joined the forum.  In honor of Rains return I'll necro.

Like @jlmarta I delivered milk at 11 years old, not horse drawn wagon though.  Ride my bike to the dairy at 4am, help fill the truck with ice and the orders.  Driver would check it and off we'd go, I was the runner on the right side he did the left.  Plenty of glass quart bottles then though.  

Now this was in 1968 when I lived up north.  Around the late 80's I was at a friends house down here and noticed an old milk can from Grant's Diary, the one I worked for up there.  Didn't even know he had it, said his wife must have gotten it at a yard sale, they were getting divorced, take it.  I use it as a footstool in the garage, ain't life funny sometimes.    

I lived in Detroit and the dairy was Sealtest. Our main competition was Borden's. 

Later, in my teens, I was a helper on a delivery truck for Faygo Beverages. I think both Sealtest and Faygo are still in business...  B)
    Boy howdy how I'd like to be in the same room as these 2 fellers talking about old times.  Lots of wisdom right there..

Did I ever tell yall i use to sit with a lady that lived her entire life in Dodge City KS?  Will never forget Dorothy and time she shared with me. Passed away a young lady at 113.. Mind still sharp as a tack and remembered Wyatt Earp being town marshal when she was a little girl.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worked the concession stand at high school basketball games and tournaments when I was barely a teenager. I was a math-challenged kid in the pre-computer era learning to handle money. It wasn't pretty but, I quickly learned how to make change. Back then you verbally verified the change "counted it out" as you gave it to the customer. Nobody does that anymore. Nowadays they just grab whatever their computer tells them and slap it in your hand and tell you it's $1.45 
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first job was unloading shrimp and cod from my step-dad's fishing vessels.
    I needed money to buy a truck and he was such a jerk and wouldn't just give me the money, I had to work my butt off for it. 
    3 weekends of shoveling shrimp and unloading cod. He was so mean to make me work for money. ROFL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience said:
    My first job was unloading shrimp and cod from my step-dad's fishing vessels.
    I needed money to buy a truck and he was such a jerk and wouldn't just give me the money, I had to work my butt off for it. 
    3 weekends of shoveling shrimp and unloading cod. He was so mean to make me work for money. ROFL!
    You bought a truck for three weekends worth of work?  Man, he WAS mean and stingy, wasn't he...?  LOL
  • Options
    Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First job was a paperboy when I was maybe 12 or 13 then was a busboy and dishwasher when I turned 15.  Needed money to buy that first car with, wish I still had that car it was a 66 cevy Impala. 
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mowed the next-door neighbor's yard, babysitting overflow when my sister was busy, and sorted parts an cleaned up in the tech shop where my dad worked, first official job was McDonalds. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mowed lawns, weeded and cleaned horse corrals at 11 or so.. Learned if you want something, you had to work for it!
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    jlmarta said:

I was born in stinkin Lincoln, Maine, grew up in Millinocket, "The Magic City".  There was Sealtest around but just in stores, mostly pre-packaged ice-creams and stuff like that.  Milks, creams and the stuff we delivered was from Grant's Dairy based in Bangor, the closest "city".  It was about 60 mile south of town.  Footman's dairy was the local delivery competition, didn't notice Borden's until later when we moved south by Portland.

I updated my profile too, used to show maine but got wiped out during the upgrade.
  • Options
    jlmarta said:

I was born in stinkin Lincoln, Maine, grew up in Millinocket, "The Magic City".  There was Sealtest around but just in stores, mostly pre-packaged ice-creams and stuff like that.  Milks, creams and the stuff we delivered was from Grant's Dairy based in Bangor, the closest "city".  It was about 60 mile south of town.  Footman's dairy was the local delivery competition, didn't notice Borden's until later when we moved south by Portland.

I updated my profile too, used to show maine but got wiped out during the upgrade.
    It's interesting to compare notes like this. Thanks.....  B)