Home Ratings & Reviews

Nick's Sticks by Perdomo

I stopped by the B&M today and saw some new boxes in the humidor. Nick's Sticks, which I had never heard of before. Considering the price ($3-$5), I picked up two, a Torpedo Maduro and a Robusto Sun-Grown.

I got home, did some research, and then settled down outside to smoke and read (my almost daily ritual). Here's my review of the Torpedo Maduro:

Construction: The construction of this cigar was beautiful. I've only smoked a couple of torpedoes before (a Nub and an Olivia Serie V) and this was on par with those. The torpedo end was very sharp, and the wrapper was tight, but with quite a few veins. The wrapper was a rich, brown color, a little bit lighter than a chocolate bar.

Pre-light: The wrapper has a leathery smell, with a bit of pepper on the head. The foot tasted rather earthy. The cut was easy, and after removing about 3/8" from the end, the pre-light draw was excellent. The draw held and earthy flavor.

First third: The earth and leather tones held nicely through the first third. The ash was a beautiful white color, much like I've experienced with Drew Estate Java's. The smoke was rich and velvety, with a cocoa aftertaste and smell. I did experience a harshness on my palate, but I'm attributing that to the wind making it burn hot and the Sweet-N-Low in my tea.

Second third: The second third was almost forgettable, holding a lot of the flavor notes from the first. (I'm chalking the forgetfulness up to being enthralled in my book, however. =) )

Final third: Excellent! Definitely hit it's sweet spot here. The earthiness got a lot stronger, with a really strong coca flavor to the smoke, not just as an aftertaste. The harshness had also disappeared by now (but so had my tea).

Burn: This stick burned great, and simply rotating it fixed any slight problems I had with unevenness.

Ashing: I ashed this a lot more than normal, in about 1" increments. This was due to the wind blowing the ash in my face and book, but it felt like the ash could hold on for a bit longer.

I left about a half inch of smokable room on the cigar, because I smoke a lot slower than most and this was a much larger cigar than I was used to (about 5.5-6" long). However, I really enjoyed it, and think that once I get a humidor set up I'll be getting a few of these for daily smokes and to let them age a year or two.

Final Score: 8/10. Great cigar, great price. Check your local B&M for these, most definitely.

~Brian the Bearded

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Dang, the man show's up and bestows the awesome.
    Great review, might have to check these out as Perdomo are in the top 3 of favorite brands for me.

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Tried a maduro a month or so ago at a Perdomo event, was really impressed with everything about it. Another good new Perdomo is the Cuban Bullet, sorta similar to Nick's Sticks but not quite as rich in flavor, goes for a lower price too, so it's kinda like the little brother of the two blends.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've always shy-ed away from these guys... honestly, just because of what they look like... the name and the brand...

I guess I'm biased against bad logo's
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Perdomo is really hit or miss with me. The mistakes are really good(still workin my way through em Joe!) and the esv an habano maduro are good. Everything else he's makes tastes kind of flat, to me atleast. I'll go huntin for these though, hell I'll smoke anything once!
  • Lasabar:
    I guess I'm biased against bad logo's
    I am too, sometimes! Honest-to-God the only reason I bought these is because of the sampler order of C.Com house blends on its way to me, making me say to myself, "You trusted another $3 stick, trust these."

Of course, my dwindling cigar fund helped sway the vote, too...
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    There are some really bad labels out there but if you pull it off and enjoy the flavor what difference does it make?
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    smoked this at the show. For the money, you really cant beat it.
  • LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    I saw these at the local shop last night. Glanced briefly at them, saw the band and price and moved on. Am I turning into a snob?
    I'll have to nab a few next time I'm in, thanks for the heads-up.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    LeftFive:
    I saw these at the local shop last night. Glanced briefly at them, saw the band and price and moved on. Am I turning into a snob?
    I'll have to nab a few next time I'm in, thanks for the heads-up.
    Not a SNOB, I feel the same way for when I started smoking I would buy the B&Ms sampler packs, $30 for about 10 sticks of varying degrees and the bands were usually gaudy (think Quorom) or bland (think Cuba Cuba or Flor De Cuba) and those sticks were okay, and they really were great smokes, but I've had my fill of "Cheap sticks that get me into trying different stuff" and more into, read the reviews, find out what wrappers or binders are on it and smoke what I think I'll like.

I've had WAY too many cheap sticks that were just that cheap sticks, I don't want to put time into finding that Diamond in the rough and would gladly spend more for a better stick I know I'll like!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If I had seen the cigar and didn't know a thing about it, I probably would have kept on walking too. As much as I like Perdomo, I think the band on this cigar is a little cheesy looking.
  • I picked up one each of the Maduro, Sungrown and Connecticut in Churchill size yesterday. I had the Sungrown at lunch. I have to say, I was really impressed with it! It was really a tasty smoke that I will keep in my humi from now on. I can't wait to try the Maduro and Conny out. I could care less about what the band looks like. I just like to enjoy a good cigar and not feel I have to spend a lot of $$ to get one. I would rather enjoy 3 of these and get 4 1/2 hours of smoke time than pay $12 for one stick of something "better" and only get 1 1/2 hours out of it.
    Maybe it just does not take to much much to impress me,lol. I love a good beer....but I am perfectly happy drinking a PBR, Natty Light or Miller High Life,lol.
    I have had a couple of higher end sticks in the short time I have been smoking, but nothing about them do I enjoy over the less expensive sticks. So long as I get good flavor & no major burn issues, I am happy. I have had some major burn issues out of a couple of sticks I have paid $20 + for.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I just had the maduro last night. And I really enjoyed it. I'm picking up more as soon as I have the space.

• Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    i had the nick stick maduro at a event with hays, he had the connie...him and I i think are on the same page...its good, but really kinda no flavor to it in my opinion....I can think of other sticks with way more flavvor like the la vieja habano brazilian maduro....amazing for 3 bucks right there..
  • Not had the conny yet, but the sungrown I had, had plenty of flavor to me. And was definitely full bodied. I will try the conny this weekend though.
  • Picked one of each of these the other day and I'm trying the sungrown tonight
  • MarkHMarkH Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Picked up a cross sampler of Nicks Sticks at a Perdomo event and yes, great smoke for the price...even scored a PerdomoT-shirt. The Cuban Bullets I tried were underwhelming.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Had the Maduro. I'm with joey and Hays. Pretty one dimensional. But not bad for the price. And mine exploded on me after I got past the band. But I guess with budget sticks there will tend to be a few "duds" in the bunch.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Burnt the Connecticut last night. Completely forgettable, flavorless,bland, and boring. Burnt half the maduro tonight and threw the rest away. It was going along fairly crummy until the middle, when it suddenly burnt sideways. At which point the wife said: "That stinks", I said "Gack" and out the door it went. Actually had to eat a peppermint. These are fifty cent cigars for four bucks. Gotta do better than this.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Burnt the Connecticut last night. Completely forgettable, flavorless,bland, and boring. Burnt half the maduro tonight and threw the rest away. It was going along fairly crummy until the middle, when it suddenly burnt sideways. At which point the wife said: "That stinks", I said "Gack" and out the door it went. Actually had to eat a peppermint. These are fifty cent cigars for four bucks. Gotta do better than this.

I couldn't have said it better. I was given a Connecticut and after about 6-7 puffs it tasted like smoking a zip lock bag. It had an awful acidic, almost plastic taste to it.