Home General Discussion
Options

What should I smoke tonight?

Last week I order a few cigars and I got them in yesterday. So now I need some help figuring out witch ones I should try first and witch ones I should let age.

What I got:
Gurkha Signature Sampler (Gold, 101, and Symphany)
Medium Bodied Sampler (Romeo y Julieta Viejo, Oliva Serie O, Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, Gurkha Regent and CAO Black)

I'm new to cigars, and the CAO Brazilia that I had last week was a bit much so I'm hoping that I will find a few in this batch that I like.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I've been smoking 3-5 cigars a week, and the Brazilia kicked my ass when I had one last month.

I'd guess the Symphony is going to be the lightest one you have so that would be a good place to start, but I think you'll probably like the Regent and the Cuban Cabinet too.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The Cuban Cabinet and Serie O are pretty good, the R&J Viejo is good but fairly straight-forward, not that I consider that a bad thing, but some may find it a bit boring.
  • Options
    CAO black. Give it a shot and let me know what you think. I just got one in and letting it age, a good friend of mine just ordered a box because he said its the best tasting cigar he's ever smoked, and it is also one of the first cigars that brought CAO into the top market today.
  • Options
    sanesane Posts: 151
    j0z3r:
    The Cuban Cabinet and Serie O are pretty good, the R&J Viejo is good but fairly straight-forward, not that I consider that a bad thing, but some may find it a bit boring.
    Straight-forward may be a good start for me, as I can't quite pick flavors out to well yet.
    Scrambler:
    I've been smoking 3-5 cigars a week, and the Brazilia kicked my ass when I had one last month.
    I wasn't expecting the Full-Body'nes of that cigar. I got it because I read somewhere that it was a good cigar for a new smoker. After smoking that thing I wondered what that guy thinks a good cigar would be for a veteran smoker.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    amazing, im not gunna say the gurkha.

my vote is with the oliva series O
  • Options
    So I went with the Oliva Serie O I must give a BIG think you to the people that recommended smoking it tonight, and to the other a thank you and I will try them next.

Cigar: Oliva Serie O
    Size: 5 x 50 Robusto
    Smoke Time: 1h 15m
    Drink: Mirror Pond Pale Ale

The start of this cigar had a smooth bitter taste around the lips with a biter earthy test in the mouth and nose. After about 1/2 to 2/3rds the way through it the taste evened out to a earthy/mild oak taste with a hint of nut in the nose. At about 2 1/2" the ash fell off and the bitter taste came back. My favorite part was about the last 1/2" or so there was a very smooth nutty taste to it and it made me want it to last forever.
    The Pale Ale was an excellent choose, not strong enough to overwhelm the cigars taste but it would almost clear the palate after each sip and it would make your tong "dance" a bit.

What I learned:
    I need a torch lighter, I used a beeswax candle and it was a pain in the ass but better then a match.
    I like this cigar.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If you liked the Serie O, then I'd recommend looking into the maduro wrapped version. It is very good in my opinion.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    If you liked the Serie O, then I'd recommend looking into the maduro wrapped version. It is very good in my opinion.
    Thanks, added it to my wish list.
  • Options
    BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    well i was gna say the oliva serie O but since u already smoked that i say try the symphany or the gold gurkha
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    The symphony is pretty mild and starts with a hint of spice. I'd go with that since you say you're still fairly new. I remember trying the oliva series o by recommendation and didn't like it much at all.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    The symphony is pretty mild and starts with a hint of spice. I'd go with that since you say you're still fairly new. I remember trying the oliva series o by recommendation and didn't like it much at all.
    Thanks Rob, I will added that to the smoking queue.
  • Options
    I tried the Symphony the other night and it was really disappointing, I was not in the best mood to be smoking a cigar so I will try it again sometime.
  • Options
    BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    try the Oliva O or the Sol Cubana i think those would be great... hmm not in the mood haha well i would suggest not smoking until you really feel like you can fully indulge yourself in the cigar however there are plenty of people out there that would disagree with me
  • Options
    Hello; been a while since I posted. Looking over your selection, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, all good to me! If I had to make a choice I think it would be CAO Black (I like more of the full taste) the way you describe your taste-go with the Oliva Serie O.