Home General Discussion

Cigar Bands

Anyone wonder if the cigars with larger bands that cover more of the stick/nub are just warning people "dont smoke past here because it will taste like Sh&*?

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Husker44:
    Anyone wonder if the cigars with larger bands that cover more of the stick/nub are just warning people "dont smoke past here because it will taste like Sh&*?
    No, I feel that the band is part of the cigar "Dance"

It's marketing, I see a crappy band and honestly, I shy away from the cigar.... No particular reason, but I just wouldn't purchase it...

But, I will say that I have had cigars with large bands that weren't good, but if you look at the Casa Magna Colorado... that thing has a HUGE band and was rated very highly! Who knows... smoke what you like!
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Don't know what cigars you're talking about. Maybe you don't like the nub part because that's where all the tar accumulates when you smoke? That and Man O' War, Gurkha, Padilla, and others have some big bands and I love them.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When my wife first started smoking cigars with me this Spring, I usually picked out the cigars for her. One day while I was at school, she wanted a cigar but she didn't want to smoke one of my "good ones".

Sooooooo, she picked out one with a plain band because she felt it couldn't have been that good of a cigar. She smoked the last Cohiba in my humidor!
    YankeeMan:
    When my wife first started smoking cigars with me this Spring, I usually picked out the cigars for her. One day while I was at school, she wanted a cigar but she didn't want to smoke one of my "good ones".

Sooooooo, she picked out one with a plain band because she felt it couldn't have been that good of a cigar. She smoked the last Cohiba in my humidor!
    She will be missed..........
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    YankeeMan:

Two questions :-

Did she save you the nub?

Did she enjoy it and say "why have you been making me smoke that other craop up till now?", lol

• One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    YankeeMan:

That is funny, I don't care who you are!
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Heres a few pics of my favorites, look forward to seeing you guys post others, thanks

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

• Lasabar:
    Husker44:
    No, I feel that the band is part of the cigar "Dance"

It's marketing, I see a crappy band and honestly, I shy away from the cigar.... No particular reason, but I just wouldn't purchase it...

But, I will say that I have had cigars with large bands that weren't good, but if you look at the Casa Magna Colorado... that thing has a HUGE band and was rated very highly! Who knows... smoke what you like!
    +1 im the same way kinda but i like the bands i have a band ciollection of every single cigar i have ever smoked
    Lasabar:
    YankeeMan:

She will be missed..........
    LOL
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I keep a glue stick around. Past them on sheets according to manufacturer. Love the colors of cigars.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Kid, those are great photos. Kind of inspiring actually. I'm gonna take some macro shots next cigar I smoke with a cool band.
    bigharpoon:
    Kid, those are great photos. Kind of inspiring actually. I'm gonna take some macro shots next cigar I smoke with a cool band.
    Thanks,, I'm sure we'd like to see them, I know I would
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    bigharpoon:
    +1 Macro photography is pretty cool. A macro lens for my D3100 is on my wish list.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    And here I go being a party pooper... my favorite bands, for the most part, are the simple ones... text, few colors, coins representing awards won in ages past... not much else. Some of my favorites:

Simplicity, and elegance goes a long way in my mind. That's not to say that I don't love the Opus X bands, and variations on them just as much as the next guy, but sometimes I think the new school, over the top, themed bands are just tacky, and when they have nothing to do with cigars... ehh. Pass.

• zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Husker44:
    If you subscribe to that theory, you'd better avoid the new Obsidians. The band covers everything but the first quarter inch by the foot.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    The whole question of leaving a band on while smoking becomes mute with a cigar that sports a foot band. I like the colorful ones. Just cuz.
    docbp87:
    And here I go being a party pooper... my favorite bands, for the most part, are the simple ones... text, few colors, coins representing awards won in ages past... not much else. Some of my favorites:

Simplicity, and elegance goes a long way in my mind. That's not to say that I don't love the Opus X bands, and variations on them just as much as the next guy, but sometimes I think the new school, over the top, themed bands are just tacky, and when they have nothing to do with cigars... ehh. Pass.

Cool .. Yeah there is something to be said for the wolf in the sheeps clothing. Or letting the cigar speak for itself. Theres a few there I havent seen before, whats the one between the padron and the fuente?
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    The Kid:
    docbp87:

Cool .. Yeah there is something to be said for the wolf in the sheeps clothing. Or letting the cigar speak for itself. Theres a few there I havent seen before, whats the one between the padron and the fuente?
    Oh, that's actually the back of the Padron band haha.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    docbp87:
    The Kid:
    docbp87:

I'm with you here doc. That's why I really like tat. Bands. Simple but elegant. Oh, that's actually the back of the Padron band haha.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I like the simple bands on Cuban cigars.

However, I do love the big elaborate bands on cigars like MOW, Ave Maria, Gurkha Crest, San Cristobal, etc...
    BigT06:
    I like the simple bands on Cuban cigars.

However, I do love the big elaborate bands on cigars like MOW, Ave Maria, Gurkha Crest, San Cristobal, etc...
    Yea I like the San Cristobal band alot too..MoW is pretty cool too
    Gran Habano

Padilla 1932

• JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
    I can't look at the San Cristobal Band anymore... On an unrelated note, I just watched the Movie "RIO" with Will.I.Am as a bird............................................
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Whats wrong with the SC band? lol
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
    Ive been enjoying looking at all the bands that have been posted, here's another.
    Photobucket
    DSC_0003-4

DSC_0071-3

E.P. Carillo New Wave

Mi Barrio

Diesel Unlimited

• GoatmilkGoatmilk Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:

Too funny!
    This is why humidors come with a key!
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    E.P. Carillo New Wave

Mi Barrio

Diesel Unlimited

Great pictures!!!