Home Cigar 101

Lighting Cigars 101

13»

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    FEAR NOT!! there is a thing called the "z-plus" it is a zippo lighter insert. this makes a Zippo lighter a butane lighter. if im not mistaken, they are in the neighborhood of $10.00
  • Got one on order, thanks a bunch!
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    mat4twamp:
    It was a cool a$$ Miami Dolphins zippo though :)
    Well done, sir.
  • mat4twamp:
    Well I think I screwed up, I went down yesterday and got myself a double blade cutter and a Zippo. After reading some stuff it seems like a Zippo is a bad idea because of the lighter fluid taste getting in the stick? It was a cool a$$ Miami Dolphins zippo though :)
    From my experience, you can still get a damn fine light from a zippo or other fuel lighter, take your time with the light, and when you get it going, blow out through the cigar and then give it a minute or so resting time before you take a drag, that'll clear up any lighter fluid taste you get. Butane lighters are the best, but there's no reason why you can't use a zippo or other fuel lighter just take your time. everybody has their preference but I love my old beat-to-hell zippo. The REAL key is to give it a minute or so to burn off the fuel/burned flavor
    Wafflebob:
    mat4twamp:
    Well I think I screwed up, I went down yesterday and got myself a double blade cutter and a Zippo. After reading some stuff it seems like a Zippo is a bad idea because of the lighter fluid taste getting in the stick? It was a cool a$$ Miami Dolphins zippo though :)
    From my experience, you can still get a damn fine light from a zippo or other fuel lighter, take your time with the light, and when you get it going, blow out through the cigar and then give it a minute or so resting time before you take a drag, that'll clear up any lighter fluid taste you get. Butane lighters are the best, but there's no reason why you can't use a zippo or other fuel lighter just take your time. everybody has their preference but I love my old beat-to-hell zippo. The REAL key is to give it a minute or so to burn off the fuel/burned flavor
    i just cant get past the lighter fluid smell.
    Ditto.
  • btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    kuzi16:
    i just cant get past the lighter fluid smell.

Same here. I used a zippo once when I was in a bind w/out matches or butane. Once is all it took. I now make sure there is a full supply of matches or a torch in every car and every room in the house.
  • Maybe I just can't detect the lighter fluid smell very well. I've never had an issue. Then again, I've never had a butane lighter. I'm hoping to get one for my birthday in a few weeks.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭

One of the best things about a well made cigar is getting an even burn. In my opinion, it is the icing on the cake. After reading all these posts about lighting a cigar, I come to realize that a cigar enthusiast lighting rituals are vast and different as they're cigars. I know this sounds really stupid, but I take great care and time in getting the perfect light. Here is what I do:

I prefer to use a butane(torch) lighter because butane is odorless and doesn't change the taste of the cigar. However, if a torch lighter isn't available, I will use wooden matches (the long ones) or my Zippo. I first will clip off the cap and make sure I can draw, then I put the cigar in my mouth and rotate it while "kissing" the cigar with the flame. If available, I will use my reflection to check and see if the cigar is lit. Once my cigar is lit, I will then let it "settle down" in the ashtray before enjoying the first luxurious puff. I let it settle down because I do not want the cigar to burn too hot, the taste of the cigar would suffer.

Also, I am a fan of Zippo lighters and I am thinking about getting one of the new Zippo BLU lighters. Has anyone bought one?

Thanks,

Chris

"Long ashes my friends."

ive heard about them.
    by that i mean " i heard they exist."

i have yet to se one IRL
  • dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    A LOT of good info in this thread for a newbie like myself. BTW, I see the term "B&M" used a lot, what does that stand for???
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Brick & Mortar
  • dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    dutyje:
    Brick & Mortar
    gotcha, thanks for the info!!
    Krieg:
    If available, I will use my reflection to check and see if the cigar is lit.
    I've seen (on the internets) a lighter that has a built-in reflector for this. Can't remember where I saw it, though, or who makes it.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I think the Perdomo table-top lighter has such a feature.
    Perdomo: is there anything they can't do?
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

urbino:
    Perdomo: is there anything they can't do?

Yes...after years of trying they have given up on turning a sow's ear into a silk cigar wrapper ......

That's just a vicious rumor. They haven't given up. They still have pig's ears from 1994 fermenting.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

urbino:
    That's just a vicious rumor. They haven't given up. They still have pig's ears from 1994 fermenting.

LMAO

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I llike to use my RP torch lighter, drawing on the cigar while rotating it to get an even burn.

"Long ashes my friends."