Home General Discussion
Options

New Alec Bradley cigar; only sold in NY

From CigarObsession.com:

Alec Bradley to debut new Alec Bradley New York Cigars at Cigar Inn in New York City.

Exclusive cigar dinner will introduce “Empire State Edition” cigars in high-style

On Wednesday September 29th, The Cigar Inn, and the Cigar Aficionado lounge, located at 1016 2nd Avenue, will be closing its doors for a cigar dinner at which Alec Bradley Cigars will unveil their exclusive new Alec Bradley New York “Empire State Edition” cigars. Alec Bradley Cigars President, Alan Rubin, Director of Sales, George Sosa, and Regional Representative, Barry Blonder will be in attendance to host the event, which promises to introduce the cigars with the kind of New York opulence reserved for such occasions.

Guests will be served a four-course, French cuisine-themed dinner, which include a box of Alec Bradley Tempus Robusto, a box of Alec Bradley Prensado Toro, an Alec Bradley Variety pack, and the star cigar of the evening, the Alec Bradley New York, Empire State cigar – a cigar that will only be sold to cigar retailers located in New York state.

“Both of Mr. Rubin parents are from New York, and his family was in the wholesale candy and tobacco business there for many years,” said Alan Rubin. “I felt that history warranted making a line to honor the state that gave my grandparents and parents and millions of other New Yorkers a chance to make it here in the US. This is also why we are only selling the Empire State cigars to tobacconists in New York?. Additionally, all sales from outside the state will have to be purchased through a New York tobacconist.”

Besides the fine cuisine, drink and cigars, guests will also receive a goodie bag with Alec Bradley Hendrix lighters, cigar cutters, fedoras, t-shirts, and official Cigar Inn baseball caps.

For more information on the Alec Bradley New York Empire State Cigar Dinner, call Cigar Inn at 212-750-0809. For additional information on all Alec Bradley Cigars visit their website at www.alecbradley.com.
So tell me - why is it he's selling this cigar exclusively in one of the highest taxed cities in the US? There's a difference between naming a cigar in order to honor a place and refusing to sell it anywhere else. If you buy it from a NY shop, even if it's over the internet, you still pay taxes on it due to NY's tax code and Bloomberg's anti-tobacco stance. Is it a publicity stunt? Is he high? Or just dumb?

Comments

• Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I guess he wasn't planning on selling very many of them or either he envisions this as a cigar for the exclusive few. In either case it appears I will never have the opportunity to try it and he has lost respect with me. Any maker who intentionally leaves out this market segment (the hard core internet cigar BOTL) is really foolish and cannot see the future of this market.
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I wonder how much that dinner is gonna cost! Unless its under a 100 I can't afford it, but I do like the Cigar Inn. Maybe I'll paste on a beard and tell them I am The Beard......actually they'd probably charge me double ;)
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Puro is gonna love this!
  • Options
    Wow, another cigar event for rich people. I bet this will be an expensive as hell event. Seems that any time CA is involved it's going to be well over most people's pay.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    From CigarObsession.com:

Alec Bradley to debut new Alec Bradley New York Cigars at Cigar Inn in New York City.

Exclusive cigar dinner will introduce “Empire State Edition” cigars in high-style

On Wednesday September 29th, The Cigar Inn, and the Cigar Aficionado lounge, located at 1016 2nd Avenue, will be closing its doors for a cigar dinner at which Alec Bradley Cigars will unveil their exclusive new Alec Bradley New York “Empire State Edition” cigars. Alec Bradley Cigars President, Alan Rubin, Director of Sales, George Sosa, and Regional Representative, Barry Blonder will be in attendance to host the event, which promises to introduce the cigars with the kind of New York opulence reserved for such occasions.

Guests will be served a four-course, French cuisine-themed dinner, which include a box of Alec Bradley Tempus Robusto, a box of Alec Bradley Prensado Toro, an Alec Bradley Variety pack, and the star cigar of the evening, the Alec Bradley New York, Empire State cigar – a cigar that will only be sold to cigar retailers located in New York state.

“Both of Mr. Rubin parents are from New York, and his family was in the wholesale candy and tobacco business there for many years,” said Alan Rubin. “I felt that history warranted making a line to honor the state that gave my grandparents and parents and millions of other New Yorkers a chance to make it here in the US. This is also why we are only selling the Empire State cigars to tobacconists in New York?. Additionally, all sales from outside the state will have to be purchased through a New York tobacconist.”

Besides the fine cuisine, drink and cigars, guests will also receive a goodie bag with Alec Bradley Hendrix lighters, cigar cutters, fedoras, t-shirts, and official Cigar Inn baseball caps.

For more information on the Alec Bradley New York Empire State Cigar Dinner, call Cigar Inn at 212-750-0809. For additional information on all Alec Bradley Cigars visit their website at www.alecbradley.com.
    So tell me - why is it he's selling this cigar exclusively in one of the highest taxed cities in the US? There's a difference between naming a cigar in order to honor a place and refusing to sell it anywhere else. If you buy it from a NY shop, even if it's over the internet, you still pay taxes on it due to NY's tax code and Bloomberg's anti-tobacco stance. Is it a publicity stunt? Is he high? Or just dumb?

Maybe (I don't know) because of the issues in N.Y.; the tobacconists have been hurting. So, maybe Alan Rubin sees this as a way to help them... Whether or not it will; I dunno.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Puro is gonna love this!
    You are correct! My nipples got hard dreaming about being at that event!
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    fla-gypsy:
    Any maker who intentionally leaves out this market segment (the hard core internet cigar BOTL) is really foolish and cannot see the future of this market.
    Lots of cigar makers are starting to do B&M only sticks. Even the San Lotano is going to be B&M only, if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    KCW:
    Maybe (I don't know) because of the issues in N.Y.; the tobacconists have been hurting. So, maybe Alan Rubin sees this as a way to help them... Whether or not it will; I dunno.
    This seems the most likely reason, if there's another reason other than the one mentioned.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    ironhorse:
    I wonder how much that dinner is gonna cost! Unless its under a 100 I can't afford it, but I do like the Cigar Inn. Maybe I'll paste on a beard and tell them I am The Beard......actually they'd probably charge me double ;)
    Hell, just tolls and parking will hit you for fifty bucks, easy. If I never have to go back to NYC again it won't bother me at all.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Puro is gonna love this!
    There are some images I would rather not think about! LOL
  • Options
    YankeeMan:
    PuroFreak:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Puro is gonna love this!
    There are some images I would rather not think about! LOL
    yeah but it was funny..
  • Options
    asolomonasolomon Posts: 128
    Not sure what the rhyme or reason is but it's definitely weird. I was just in a cigar shop in Little Italy, they were about 3x what they cost on here! Give it a rest, Benito Bloomberg.