Home Cigar 101

Temperatures in AZ

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas on how to control the temperature of my cigars.  I'm keeping them in a traveling humidor until I finish my desktop, and I'm using a xikar digital hygrometer and xikar propylene glycol solution in the humidifier in the humidor.  In AZ in the summer its not practical to turn your AC below 78 and my hygrometer says its at about 81. I'm worried about beeltes :( How can I drop the temperature?

Comments

• pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    Dig a ten foot hole in the ground and put your humi in there. I'm pretty sure its a constant 65farenheit 10 feet down :-)

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    pnaylon:
    Dig a ten foot hole in the ground and put your humi in there. I'm pretty sure its a constant 65farenheit 10 feet down :-)

Gives new meaning to the term "buried treasure", eh? Personally, I'd go for pnaylon's advice - have your very own buried treasure, and you can even write up a treasure map, complete with codes!! Plant a few devious traps, hire a cut throat crew to protect it (pay them in cigars, of course), and plant a sign that says "Dead men tell no tales" outside!! YARRRGH MATEY!! THERE BE SWAG IN THEM HILLS!!

Of course, if you wanna do it the boring way, it kinda depends on how much you're willing to spend. You can buy an electric cooling unit that you can install in your humi (somewhat expensive, and involves modifying humi), or you can buy a vinotemp and use that (check ebay/craigslist, you can probably get one for around $50 or less)
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Any thermo-electric wine fridge will also do well if you need a larger storage space...
    It really depends on how much cooling you need and how much storage you need.
    Thermoelectric devices only cool things down by about 5-15*F depending on how well they work... That being said, 5*F would be just enough to help you get to about 75*F so that will be at the brink of what people say Beetles hatch at...

Good Luck!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Honestly, during the summer here in Virginia, when it gets super humid and fairly hot (90s-100s) I simply set a battery powered glade fan on the shelf next to my humidor and let it run. Not the most practical, but a similar effect could be achieved with any sort of fan. Just make sure to keep it a good enough distance away so as to not affect the RH.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wine fridge adapted to be a humidor. you can get modified thermostats that install easily to keep it at 70 or so degrees.

or you can run your AC on full tilt.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    If your looking for just the travel humi then just find the coolest darkest place in the house and stick it there. For a perminit fix all these guys Ideas are great.