Home General Discussion
Options

Best way to transport cigars on a plane?

I'm finally moving across the pond in a week, and I have about 15 sticks I want to bring with me. Most (but not all) are in cello. Any tips on how to transport them safely? I'm thinking of putting them in a ziplock so they don't move around too much and then in an old cigar box, but I'm not sure.

Comments

• Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Try a herf-a-dor or the cigar jar here on CCom. Both can withstand a lot of punishment. If you call Kelly or Tim, you should be able to get it pretty cheap.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Never realized you were in the UK. Is this moving a homecoming?

To answer your question, if you can't get your hands on a herfador in time, you can use the reuseable plastic containers (the ones for food) and just pack it in your carry-on.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    asolomon:
    I'm finally moving across the pond in a week, and I have about 15 sticks I want to bring with me. Most (but not all) are in cello. Any tips on how to transport them safely? I'm thinking of putting them in a ziplock so they don't move around too much and then in an old cigar box, but I'm not sure.
    You would be fine doing that. Also, if you have a water pillow, toss it in the ziplock. I travel quite a bit and just put them in my carry-on and have never had a problem.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Are you looking for a solution that costs nothing, or are you willing to spend a little money?
  • Options
    For trips longer than a week I use one of these:

The inside is spanish cedar and it's a real humidor. Not too good for herfing since the cedar will pick up the cigar smoke, but for longer trips I love this thing. Season it, throw a boveda pack in there and call it a day. This would also be my suggestion to your question in your other thread in the 101 section.
  • Options
    asolomonasolomon Posts: 128
    sightunseen - no, sadly, I'm in the States now and this is a trip away from home. I just changed my location early because I have a feeling I'll forget to once I'm there :) Russ - looks interesting! What's it called? While I'm looking for storage solutions (see my thread in 101), for a one-time travel I wouldn't want to spend much.
  • Options
    I'll pm you the info on where I got it, and how much I paid. It's pretty reasonable.
  • Options
    Thanks Russ! PM back to you.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    get a traveldore, and don't check it!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    get a herfador its great. i use my 15 count for all my trips most recently costa rica and mexico.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I did back to back trips to Curacao and then California. I used my 15 count herf-a-dor with humi pillows in it and had no issue. Took 10 with me to each place and kept that bad boy in my carry on.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    lcpleel:
    get a herfador its great. i use my 15 count for all my trips most recently costa rica and mexico.
    +1

actually,
    +2
    they are great.
    i have nothing else to say.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Love my herfador. I plan on taking that plus a cigar jar to Vegas for Big Smoke, because there is no way I'm bringing all of those sticks back in my pockets.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    keester em. just sayin
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    keester em. just sayin
    Whoa... I'm the master thread de-railer but not when it comes to butt-play!
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    On-topic: +1 for Herador
    Off-topic: *cough* If it's de-railing a thread, there's really only one proper way to do it:

imageHey! It's Pheebs!! ;)

• Options
    Thanks for, erm, some of those pics :D If anyone knows a good way to transport cigars fairly safely that doesn't require buying a herfador or something (because really, this is a one-time travel), keep posting! I'm thinking a cigar box and maybe some bubble wrap is the way to go.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    That will work. Before I had a few herfadors, I used a ziplock or two with water pillows inside a cigar box.
  • Options
    shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    I agree with everyone else - Grab a herfador and keep it in your carry-on baggage. I've made about three trips with them and never had an issue.